Not really the official Battle Pack 2 announcement

30 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

My only point was that in my opinion 3D models do not seem to be a bottleneck. Maybe back when CMBN first came out they were. I don't know.

Yes, and part of my point was, that may also be a bottleneck. Suppose most of the Combat Mission 3D models are by "Cassio Lima Studio", as per the credits in the manual, and because of consistency in style and quality. I really like it. Contrary to for example Eugen's Wargame content, which is a mixup of styles and authors. In Cold War I noticed some deviation from that style/quality, plus malfunctioning LODs, and was a bit grumpy about that.

Also, this is a bit of a controversial topic. It is like that with game modding in general: Make additional 3D objects for a game -> don't make low detail lods for them -> nobody notices that difference -> eventually frame rate suffers -> blame the engine and say it is unoptimized without actually knowing the cause. The average modder sees the main model and assumes the job is done, but it ain't. Complain and appear ungrateful.

30 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Separate topic but my big question is if CMX3 or whatever will have some new 3D modelling starting ground and ALL current 3D models and BMP file structure are obsolete and BFC moves on to a new generation, "GEN 3" of BMP? <"Gen 1" being old clunky CMBO, CMAK, CMBB, "Gen 2" being what they use now>

Reminds me of IL-2 Sturmovik. They had most of WW2 modeled in the 1946 edition in 2006. Then they come with revamped games like Battle of Britain and Bodenplatte, which are initially very narrow in scope. I don't know exactly because I prefer broad scope and lesser detail, so 1946 edition is what I stick with. Well, CMBN was the same situation compared to CMX1, I suppose, but I never played CMX1.

Edited by Kevin2k

3 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

1946 edition is what I stick with

Me too for planes (with the huge and excellent BAT mods), although I did buy Tank Crew and don't regret that even though time spent on it is miniscule compared to CM.  I actually wanted to get inside a tank and fight for a change, and my old version of the good but long-ago abandoned T34 vs Tiger wasn't enough.  I also thought it would be good to support the development of a 'tank series' but not a lot has happened in that sense, so my contribution unsurprisingly has not had that much impact 😆.  There are however some fine user-made scenarios out there.

10 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

The average modder sees the main model and assumes the job is done, but it ain't. Complain and appear ungrateful.

Yeah, there are only a very very very few guys doing this 3D object modding so maybe you mean me! 😄 

But maybe you mean in Cold War or CMSF2? I am not in those titles at all. 😄

But I agree. I am not worried at all about somebody's frame rate. I spend hours to make something and don't worry for the final touches to the nth degree. They can delete it if they sense some mod of mine has an issue they can't bear. Luckily I think I have only a half dozen guys who use my stuff and HAVE heard only a few grumbles on odd stuff somehow showing up for distant views of a vehicle I changed.     

24 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Yeah, there are only a very very very few guys doing this 3D object modding so maybe you mean me!

Yeah, of course, lol. Well I don't complain about modded content in principle, it is free and people have fun making it and using it, so that is the main thing. Also there are no tools for you to to check LOD synchronization. ( When I make objects for a game called Strike Fighters 2 I can easily change the switchover distances to test-setting like 80, 90, 100 and 110 meters. In the game zoom in and out a little, and see immediately what is working and what is odd. )

36 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Me too for planes (with the huge and excellent BAT mods), although I did buy Tank Crew and don't regret that even though time spent on it is miniscule compared to CM. 

I don't know much about that one. I did briefly try that ground control module for DCS world, which is a similar thing, but never found the motivation to learn the controls. If I really want to drive a tank I have to be content with the ArmA 2 tank control. Which is not that bad in itself, but computer controlled vehicles behave like "solitary wild animals" IMO, and that breaks the immersion.

30 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

Well I don't complain about modded content in principle, it is free and people have fun making it and using it, so that is the main thing.

I can press my reset button and from now on give an honest try to "care" about frame rate and be a bit more professional. Maybe just NOT copy and rename the lod-1, etc from the main modded mdr? I guess I get burned out and cut corners!

30 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

Also there are no tools for you to to check LOD synchronization.

What the heck is that? 😄

Have you made any CM stuff yet? I hope you have or will soon. Please for the WW2 titles! We need good guys like you to show the way. Thanks

55 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

What the heck is that? 😄

Have you made any CM stuff yet? I hope you have or will soon. Please for the WW2 titles! We need good guys like you to show the way. Thanks

(Drifting off the original topic, I know...) Well not a separate tool, but some debug functionality within the game. There is always some distance where the high detail model switches over to a lesser detail one. But when you are working on LODs you want the game to do that up close, temporarily. That is the only way to avoid errors, AFAIK. 

Thanks for the compliment, but no, I haven't made any 3D objects for CM. Just texture and map mods. I have no experience with Blender, but with a combination of 3D software from AutoDesk. Man, I am too spoiled with how well Strike Fighters 2 supports modded objects. It is still a lot of work, but everything is as easy as I think it could possibly be. 

And still I also burn out with working for that game: I would not consider making an aircraft from scratch, even ground vehicles from scratch takes me too long, after I did a couple. So for me the casual fun is in adapting bought models, or conversions from other games, and the latter I can't ever publish.

Edited by Kevin2k