Not really the official Battle Pack 2 announcement

17 hours ago, Benk said:

I just want to be sure, this pack will be available at a later date for Steam users ( along with the other planned packs and modules)?

Yes. It will be available on Steam when it's finished. And if you have the Battlefront version there is no charge to add it to your Steam version at no charge. Just like the base game and modules. 

18 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

No, this is a "charles-free" product, so no programming on the engine will be done. Charles is hopefully busy with engine v5 this year.

+1.  A battle pack won't introduce anything new hardware-wise as far as I know.

A big hello to Charles but not sure he's on the forum much (and I'm not sure of his username as you can see)?  If only he knew what he was missing 😆.

Let's be clear, I'm looking forward to the pack😍
which covers the Utah sector and the dropzones
There are many para mods but few on the 4 ID US
The 4 ID US is a particularly interesting unit, it has already masterfully succeeded in its landing and moreover it is commanded by an emblematic officer who will die a few weeks later of a heart attack: T Roosevelt. He is buried here in Normandy with his brother who fell during the 1st World War. They are the very symbol of the sacrifice of the United States on French soil during the 2 world wars.
the 4 wears the "ivy" on the helmet, non-regulatory but relatively common
Similarly, the wearing of HBT43 is standardized at least on day d and the days that follow in the unit
the unit also massively wears the assault vest on June 6
I made a mod helmet badge and the HBT43  outfit.
 Jm stuff has in these drawers, the assault vest
Can be @BFCElvis and @Ithikial_AU could you tag everything and communicate the tags so that this mod mod is easily usable by those who wish it even those who have trouble with the tags

2kpw.jpg

hqnh.jpg

7r92.jpg

8 hours ago, Falaise said:

Can be @BFCElvis and @Ithikial_AU could you tag everything and communicate the tags so that this mod mod is easily usable by those who wish it even those who have trouble with the tags

It was in my plans to add mod tags for the units involved in the fighting including the 4ID. Though adding in modded textures is probably a bridge too far, happy to communicate those modtags at time of release so players can mod their own uniforms and markings.

7 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

@Falaise Although I am normally a big fan of your work, I do prefer the 4th Infantry mods that were produced some years back. But, it is all down to personal taste.

I couldn't find a 4 di mod that matches the start of the campaign
the helmets have no insignia and the outfits are the classic outfit not the HBT 43
But i agree with you, the more i watch them the less i like them ...
   The color must be darker and the bottom of the jacket was worn in the pants, the breast pocket was square
this is a first draft to be reworked
watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utvZUo2og2Q

Edited by Falaise

It is so ironic to me that simultaneously Charles is BOTH the bottle and the bottleneck.

I salute this new CMBN battle pack. Why not? As a small time creator of CM content I have true respect for Ithikial and I absolutely know he will harness great energy and enthusiasm to make a fine product for the Utah Beach areas on D-Day and a few days beyond.

But I see the posts here and a few ask about new content for Sherman DD's and landing craft, gear for the assault vests on soldiers like we see in Saving Private Ryan. So much possibilities. 

But without Charles?  <air sucks through teeth...>

I think the system to make the installation program package is apparently done WITHOUT Charles. Maybe Charles showed somebody how to do it and for simple "new things" it is done with out Charles. If it is just adding scenarios and a campaign or 2? Charles not needed. 

I think BFC could make a hundred battlepacks. Put everybody to work in the scenario writer "stable" and the beta testers  <I guess> AND if they wanted, Charles not needed. But since everybody can already download free scenarios and campaigns...then it is a marketing decision. Maybe somehow with steam and slitherine or whatever, NOW is the right time for new "easier to produce" content. Show the new wave of non-traditional customers that BFC makes new stuff? Maybe we will see this type of content pushed out for purchase. Charles not needed.

The CMBN vehicle pack? I think Charles was needed for that. Heck yes. NEW Sherman DD's or landing craft? I think Charles ALSO needed. But Charles is NOT AVAILABLE. 

I think there are a thousand 3D models out there sitting unused, maybe unpurchased, most probably unpurchased. Gliders, assault vest gear, special German concrete bunkers...Charles is not available to do the code work to roll them into the CM program. That is the bottleneck.

In conclusion, I am always very glad Charles was/is the bottle. And I am glad and would buy him a beer to say thanks for allowing me a small entrance into the game to do mods. WITHOUT THAT? Oh god, I shudder to think how I would feel... 

9 hours ago, Falaise said:

I couldn't find a 4 di mod that matches the start of the campaign
the helmets have no insignia and the outfits are the classic outfit not the HBT 43
But i agree with you, the more i watch them the less i like them ...
   The color must be darker and the bottom of the jacket was worn in the pants, the breast pocket was square
this is a first draft to be reworked
watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utvZUo2og2Q

1. There were three variatiions of HBT shirts and 2 trouser variations.
  2. There were two shades as well, a light one and and the darker OD7.
  3. AFAIK Most of the HBT used in Normandy were third type (plain pockets, square pocket flaps), but some second type (fold in the middle of the pocket) were used as well.
  4. Light shade and OD7 darker shade were in use, but I think the darker OD7 shade was much more common.
  5. Trouser had cargo side pockets placed very high on the thight. AFAIK the first model with no cargo pockets was not in use at that time.
  6. As a rule, the HBT shirt was not tucked inside the trouser. It was a bit baggy, but short.
  7. The 4th Inf. Div. wore the HBT fatigue uniform over the Field Jacket (collectors call it "M41") and wool trousers in order to protect them and because nights were still cold in Normandy. The HBT garments were impregnated with an anti-vesicant compund. It seems it smelled really bad, so most impregnated garments were discarded soon after the landings.
  8. As a rule, no divisional insignia was worn on the HBT shirt.

5 hours ago, Fernando said:
  1. There were three variatiions of HBT shirts and 2 trouser variations.
  2. There were two shades as well, a light one and and the darker OD7.
  3. AFAIK Most of the HBT used in Normandy were third type (plain pockets, square pocket flaps), but some second type (fold in the middle of the pocket) were used as well.
  4. Light shade and OD7 darker shade were in use, but I think the darker OD7 shade was much more common.
  5. Trouser had cargo side pockets placed very high on the thight. AFAIK the first model with no cargo pockets was not in use at that time.
  6. As a rule, the HBT shirt was not tucked inside the trouser. It was a bit baggy, but short.
  7. The 4th Inf. Div. wore the HBT fatigue uniform over the Field Jacket (collectors call it "M41") and wool trousers in order to protect them and because nights were still cold in Normandy. The HBT garments were impregnated with an anti-vesicant compund. It seems it smelled really bad, so most impregnated garments were discarded soon after the landings.
  8. As a rule, no divisional insignia was worn on the HBT shirt.

yes Fernando absolutely correct.
So as @Warts 'n' all was not satisfied
I changed the colors, squared the pockets
For badges:
The 4 ID there is an exception that has been made and the wearing of this one authorized exceptionally.
the HBT was indeed impregnated, I have a relic HBT 43 jacket from June 6 impregnated it still smells a little, but it is especially to the touch that the sensation is unpleasant

vqsi.jpg

dz5i.jpg

20 minutes ago, Falaise said:

yes Fernando absolutely correct.
So as @Warts 'n' all was not satisfied
I changed the colors, squared the pockets
For badges:
The 4 ID there is an exception that has been made and the wearing of this one authorized exceptionally.
the HBT was indeed impregnated, I have a relic HBT 43 jacket from June 6 impregnated it still smells a little, but it is especially to the touch that the sensation is unpleasant

vqsi.jpg

dz5i.jpg

Much better 👍

9 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I think there are a thousand 3D models out there sitting unused, maybe unpurchased, most probably unpurchased. Gliders, assault vest gear, special German concrete bunkers...Charles is not available to do the code work to roll them into the CM program. That is the bottleneck.

You can buy 3D models on something like turbosquid alright, but to do it properly you still need to make lower detail models derived from the main one. To keep frame rates acceptable. If there are a few items without these LOD models it won't be that noticeable, but it all just adds up to the overall poly count. Programming and 3D modelling are different things of course.

25 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

You can buy 3D models

My only point was that in my opinion 3D models do not seem to be a bottleneck. Maybe back when CMBN first came out they were. I don't know.

Separate topic but my big question is if CMX3 or whatever will have some new 3D modelling starting ground and ALL current 3D models and BMP file structure are obsolete and BFC moves on to a new generation, "GEN 3" of BMP? <"Gen 1" being old clunky CMBO, CMAK, CMBB, "Gen 2" being what they use now>