Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

9 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

And how many rounds does Ukraine have?

wonder what that translates into for meat.  They gonna shove all those guys into frontal assaults?  What is that, 6 months worth?  What industries are they gonna take them from?  As Zappa once said "Questions, Questions, Questions, flooding into the mind of the concerned young person today."  And old farts like me.

47 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

And how many rounds does Ukraine have?

That is up to us, mostly. Write your Congressperson/MP, vote, and then write them again.

33 minutes ago, sburke said:

wonder what that translates into for meat.  They gonna shove all those guys into frontal assaults?  What is that, 6 months worth?  What industries are they gonna take them from?  As Zappa once said "Questions, Questions, Questions, flooding into the mind of the concerned young person today."  And old farts like me.

Well they are apparently down to trying to get the harvest in with high schoolers. I am sure their country "vacation" will come with nightly presentations from the army's recruiters. Only the really smart ones will figure out the mere fact that they are stuck in a potato filed in outermost nowhere means that Russia is BLEEPED.

Edited by dan/california

On 9/14/2024 at 9:42 AM, The_Capt said:

High cost, high capability but low capacity is exactly the wrong way to go...and this war is a shining example of why. Cheap, easy and fast is great. Smart cheap, easy and fast is freakin lethal.

Playing catch up here....

If you don't put this in your sig, I am stealing it and putting it in mine. Or at least permission, because this distills down the whole nearly four thousand pages.

On 9/15/2024 at 10:37 AM, The_Capt said:

Big problem with line charges is they are big and heavy. Make for prime targets. 

You left out VERY explosive. There are one or two videos of Russian ones getting hit. It leaves an impressive crater, and would probably kill anything else within a hundred meters.

Edited by dan/california

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

That's 500km from the closest point in Ukraine.

That is about the same distance as Engels air base, which was also hit in the last day or two. Clearly the Ukrainians have a new long rage drone in play. Their were recent videos of one that is basically a small ground launched cruise misslie. Jet engine and all. It my be that they are making an impression. Or perhaps they have managed to stick a jammer on one of the really slow long range ones they have been using, so a lot more of them are getting thru suddenly.

3 hours ago, ArmouredTopHat said:

Further videos, looks like the AFU really hit the motherload. 

At the depot in Toropets, Tver region of Russia, the Russians were storing missiles for "Grad," S-300, and S-400 systems, as well as manufactured ballistic missiles for "Iskander," and had begun stockpiling North Korean KN23 missiles, says the Director of the Center for Countering Disinformation, Kovalenko.

Hoping that this is correct (if not, at least the source is ironic). Would certainly make it a high-value target.

8 hours ago, dan/california said:

Playing catch up here....

If you don't put this in your sig, I am stealing it and putting it in mine. Or at least permission, because this distills down the whole nearly four thousand pages.

It is all yours. Let the wisdom of dan/california be known far and wide. So if you move, will your handle change? Dan/Utah? Dan/Montana?  Gotta admit those sound kind of cool.

3 minutes ago, Maciej Zwolinski said:

At 0:04 of the second of the Ponomarenko films, the explosion actually forms a classic mushroom shape, looking exactly like a nuke. Most impressive.

Any sufficiently big explosion forms a mushroom cloud. Nuclear weapons create mushroom clouds because they are big explosions,  not because they are nukes. 

17 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Just hoping this doesn't help revive credence to the notion of the super effectiveness of Mossad. We all saw one of the worst intelligence failures in history last year. 

They are not mutually incompatible. A fairly credible view of how did the Hamas surprise attacks happen attributes the reason to Mossad focusing too much on Hezbollah in Lebanon to the detriment of intelligence operations against Hamas in Gaza. And this pager attack shows they were super effective, in the place where they wanted to be. I think the October 7 attacks indicate a strategic command error on part of Israeli's intelligence service leadership rather than ineffectiveness of the service as a whole.

Not sure what to think of this French operation. I am sure Ukraine is happy to get what they can, but won't this complicate their logistics and training a tad too much?

They already have a veritable zoo of ground vehicles and even small arms.

Now the airforce has their soviet legacy airframes, F-16s, at some point two Mirage variants and potentially even Gripen. 

Edited by Carolus

1 hour ago, Maciej Zwolinski said:

At 0:04 of the second of the Ponomarenko films, the explosion actually forms a classic mushroom shape, looking exactly like a nuke. Most impressive.

There is a vatnik that literally believes that NATO/Ukraine are using nukes. Its truly bat**** insane. 

(This guy is a hoot overall, claiming that 'mini nukes' have been in constant use in various conflicts. He also claims to be a nuclear physicist. )

Edited by ArmouredTopHat