How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

I was waiting for drone/remote controlled VBIED use, SVBIEDs did a number in Syria and Iraq. Im sure their application here is going to be far more difficult but still, its a very big boom that can level appartment blocks and wipe out Platoons

According to UKR, due to artillery losses, the Russians have begun substituting them with helicopters. As a result, helis are being shot down as they come closer to the frontline (there are claims that not two, but four helis have been shot down).

22 minutes ago, Grigb said:

Зображення

Probably this LPR public dramatizing enough, but it claims volunteer battalion "Shtorm. Osetia" (not assault "Shtorm" unit inside brigade or regiment]) from Southern Osetia (occupied part of Georgia) was wiped out in Pyatykhatky.

Today tragical news came for all Southern Osetia. During SVO deputy commander of battalion "Shtorm. Osetia" Tekhov Ivanhoe get lost

He is gone like true fighter and brave warrior, togather with own unit he was encircled in Piatikhatki [ukr. Pyatykhatky] on Zaporozhian direction. Nobody of fighters didn't retreat and they decided to fight to last stand and as a result almost all battalion was lost. Rthernal memmory to heroes!

Other source also says about something bad for Osetia:

Зображення

The heaven has someone to mourn in these days, Osetia...

Edited by Haiduk

10 minutes ago, Grigb said:

there are claims that not two, but four helis have been shot down).

For 4-5 days. Today at 19:00 General Staff again claimed Ka-52 was shot down. The fifth. But still no evidences. Russian TGs like FighterBomber and other tied with helicopters also keep silence

Edited by Haiduk

32 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

For 4-5 days. Today at 19:00 General Staff again claimed Ka-52 was shot down. The fifth. But still no evidences. Russian TGs like FighterBomber and other tied with helicopters also keep silence

Good news, but if they really operate 10 klicks behind the bomb-line then it will be a while until we'll see some evidence.

30 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

That was really lucky, I guess. The crew can celebrate a 2nd birthday party.

In 2014 one T-64BV survived after 17 PG-7VL hits (but not tandem). Looks like here the range was too short to activate main warhead. Minimal range of RPG-7 shooting is 15 m 

A press release about enemy losses in one sector in the south, not sure if it was the east or west grouping:

"77 units of the enemy's military equipment were destroyed and damaged. In particular, the Ka-52 helicopter, 24 tanks, 12 IFVs units, 5 ACVs, 3 MTLB, 2 armored personnel carriers, 2 "Orlan-10" UAVs, "Zala" UAV, Sturm-S anti-tank missile system, the message says.

https://en.defence-ua.com/news/it_became_known_how_many_units_russia_lost_in_tavria_direction_last_day-7048.html

Steve

Above source had this article that casts doubt on Hrim-2 being used to smash Russia's Saki Airbase in Crimea last year.  So if this article is accurate (and it might not be), then we're back to the question of what Ukraine used to conduct that strike.  We exhausted that discussion last year and only Hrim-2 made sense.  So I think this information might be deceiving in some way.

https://en.defence-ua.com/industries/ukrainian_sapsan_tactical_missile_the_real_development_stage_is_revealed_dispelling_any_illusions_about_the_the_project-7051.html

Steve

3 hours ago, DesertFox said:

How to demilitarize a T-55 - Orc style

Good lord I have seen some weird stuff in warfare but this one is new.  That shockwave may have killed the RPG team depending how close they were.  Wouldn’t have even thought the interior of a T55 had enough room for 6t of explosives.

Putin seen stuttering while making false claims about Ukraine’s commander-in-chief (yahoo.com)

d-d-d-defeat?!

In the video, the "milbloggers" (military bloggers, who cover the events of the war with a pro-Russian slant) ask the dictator where Zaluzhnyi is.

Putin begins to stammer and then answers uncertainly: "I know, I think I know. You should ask him where he is. But to do that, you need to switch to a foreign language. It seems to me that he is abroad."

The dictator then said that he "may be wrong."

Some Russian drone video of a confusing situation in the small village of P'yatykhatky.  The fixed position includes a dug in tank that is orientated north, so absolutely it is Russian to start with.  Looks like a BMP-2 (orientated south) was knocked out during the fight.  It appears that Ukrainian forces that took the position are trying to exit the village eastward via the main road and are being harassed by Russian artillery.  Then there's cut footage from somewhere, maybe nearby, that is not part of the main footage.

Or something like that.

Steve

8 hours ago, Haiduk said:

FighterBomber's silence is a good thing (he would undoubtedly deny it otherwise). AFAIK, all RU propagandists (even unofficial ones) received a serious message to stop talking about RU failures. Take a look at Girkin. After the start of the offensive, he speaks as if he is a regular RU TG propagandist. And the quality of information from everyone else declined dramatically.

Rumor is RU MOD is aware that they are in a difficult situation and will most likely have to retreat. To avoid shocking the RU public, they opted to closely control the narrative from the outset of the offense. That is why the meeting with Putin took place - if you are a faithful Z nazi, you cannot refuse request from the God Emperor and remain close to your sources on the front lines. You will have to travel to RU and be completely under the care of really kind people

So, I am leaning toward accepting that RU took some (unknow) helicopter losses recently. AFU is not completely toothless. 

3 minutes ago, Grigb said:

So, I am leaning toward accepting that RU took some (unknow) helicopter losses recently. AFU is not completely toothless. 

Given the apparently high activity rate I'd expect some Russian losses from pilot and mechanical error at the very least.  And as others have pointed out, it's not like these helicopters would crash in Ukrainian territory, nor would the necessarily be high enough to be witnessed falling out of the sky.

So I'm with you... some helicopter losses should be presumed even without direct evidence, though the number can not be verified to be as high as Ukraine claims.

Steve