How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

5 minutes ago, hcrof said:

I don't want to defend the guy, and would never watch his show, but didn't he work for fox news for years? You would have thought he would remember to come prepared, even if he was planning an easy interview. 

he was prepared, this was always just a moment for Putin to say whatever he wanted.  Tucker isn't an investigative reporter.  He is simply a useful idiot and his time on Fox prepared him to do exactly what he did.

51 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I was surprised/shocked that such an experienced interviewer as TC seemed to be at sea and unable to structure his interview "professionally".  He seemed all over the place, repetitive, and finally unable to conclude the interview with any memorable wrap up.  It was left to poor old Putin to shoot the dying interview to put it out of its misery. 

It was very interesting to hear Putin's perspective on how we got to where we are starting way back after after the fall of the USSR.  But, imo much of the time Putin seemed rather "tricky" and "sly". 

While clearly stating that the US empire is falling apart and the world is changing, Putin unintentionally made a good argument that USSR was like the Roman Empire and both were dissolved - and no one is saying that the Romans should get their empire back.  But,TC didn't pick up on that at all.  

https://tuckercarlson.com/the-vladimir-putin-interview/

He wasn’t there for a serious journalistic interview, which is why he was granted an interview where all other western journalists have been denied (despite trying).

11 minutes ago, hcrof said:

but didn't he work for fox news for years

lol, possibly “non-literal commentary” doesn’t prepare you that well

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917747123/you-literally-cant-believe-the-facts-tucker-carlson-tells-you-so-say-fox-s-lawye

39 minutes ago, sburke said:

The main Chinese bank used by Russian importers has stopped operations in Russia, a move that an expert told Newsweek shows how much firms in China fear breaking U.S.-led sanctions.

I think it's time to say "I told you so!" with the "you" being anybody that thought China would openly side with Russia at the expense of trade with the US/EU.

Steve

1 hour ago, Kraft said:

I am not arguing for attrition or maneuver.

My point is, if a change is needed in leadership/innovation and a non-political decision needs to be made who is best to replace what makes him the best pick? 

Obviously we dont know enough inside details among the generals for a fair assesement but I am also questioning whether this was a non-political decision with that aim to begin with.

But I also dont want to slander with the little information I have which is why I deleated my original comment.

All decisions of this type are political by their very nature.  Never not.  The question, therefore, is if it was wise politics in the best interests of winning the war, or unwise politics designed to satisfy some dispute that doesn't help win the war.

Steve

21 minutes ago, hcrof said:

I don't want to defend the guy, and would never watch his show, but didn't he work for fox news for years? You would have thought he would remember to come prepared, even if he was planning an easy interview. 

Carlson's "interview" style is letting pro-agenda guests drone on and on and on without challenge, while interrupting and antagonizing anti-agenda guests (which likely were the minority of his guests over the years at Fox).  It sounds like this Putin interview was about the norm for him.  At least I presume that to be the case because there's no way I'm going to waste any part of my life watching that propaganda fluff piece.

Steve

28 minutes ago, hcrof said:

How does telling lies on TV for years, lies that actually kill people (vax disinf), along w election lies, jan 6 lies, 'prepare' anyone for anything?  What the hell do you think fox news is?  It's a lie machine.

52 minutes ago, Maciej Zwolinski said:

Has that battle concluded though?

That phase of the battle, absolutely.  Ukraine was defending, Russia was attacking, Russia took the city, the front solidified, time went by before a counter attack was mounted.

I view a battle as complete and distinct when both sides cease have ceased fighting as they had been AND there is no immediate change in stance.  If Ukraine had launched the same counter offensive while Wagner was engaged within Bakhmut, then I'd view it as part of the same battle.  That was not the case, therefore in my view separate battles.

And if we include that, then the fighting in the Bachmut direction in parallel with the  Avdieyevka offensive until a couple of weeks ago, when Russians were taking back the Ukrainian summer 2023 gains should also be included, as it is also a direct consequence of the decision not to abandon Bachmut.

Sure, and everything that happened in Bakhmut was related to everything that came before it.  Avdiivka specifically goes back to 2014 very directly.  And 2014 fights were related to 2013 Maidan. which was in turn relating to... so on and so forth.  If you don't draw distinctions then there are no distinctions and you wind up with a mess. :)

So I don't think a comprehensive calculation of the gains and costs of the Bachmut battle can be made yet

Sure, but the point I was pushing back against are the people who have concluded that Bakhmut was an unnecessary, incompetent disaster that for sure made Ukraine weaker relative to Russia.  I think the evidence in front of us today says the opposite.  Even after the war ends there will be debate, just as there's still debates about battles of the past.

Steve

Schumer is offering Republicans the chance to vote on amendments if they agree to speed things up.

“I hope our Republican colleagues can work with us to reach an agreement on amendments, so we can move this process along,” he said. “Nevertheless, the Senate will keep working on this bill until the job is done.”

If Paul drags out the floor debate as long as possible, he could delay a vote on final passage until Tuesday.

2 hours ago, dan/california said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ukraine-the-latest/id1612424182?i=1000644777185

Today's Ukraine the latest has deep and nuanced look at the replacement of Zaluzny, I highly recommend it.

I second this. If people don't have time though I'll try my best with the takeaways I had.

I didn't know Gen. Milley and Zaluzhny had a poor relationship. Also the observation by the British international volunteer that some of the men who like Zaluzhny/dislike Syrskyi is because "they're old (the average UKR soldier is 43 compared to 26 for WW2 for reference, but that's a whole other issue) and want to sit in their trenches smoking and getting fat while waiting for the next Western magic bullet aid to arrive" and that Syrskyi is much more up 'n at 'em, let's get to it compared to Zaluzhny. So I can see why some see him as bloody or a butcher if he's more willing to put men in harms way. Zaluzhny is seen as a people's or politician's general and is much warmer with the men, Syrskyi is seen as much more business-like and a general's general.

They also mention the McClellan/Grant comparison and how part of that decision came from McClellan being seen as too cautious and while Grant and Sherman were seen as bloody/butchers, the Union decided a shorter more bloody war was better than a war dragged out with extra unknowns.

Here's the YT link too: 

Edited by masc

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

I was surprised/shocked that such an experienced interviewer as TC seemed to be at sea and unable to structure his interview "professionally".  He seemed all over the place, repetitive, and finally unable to conclude the interview with any memorable wrap up.  It was left to poor old Putin to shoot the dying interview to put it out of its misery. 

It was very interesting to hear Putin's perspective on how we got to where we are starting way back after after the fall of the USSR.  But, imo much of the time Putin seemed rather "tricky" and "sly". 

While clearly stating that the US empire is falling apart and the world is changing, Putin unintentionally made a good argument that USSR was like the Roman Empire and both were dissolved - and no one is saying that the Romans should get their empire back.  But,TC didn't pick up on that at all.  

https://tuckercarlson.com/the-vladimir-putin-interview/

In 2008, the doors of NATO were opened for Ukraine. In 2014, there was a coup. They started persecuting those who did not accept the coup, and it was indeed a coup. They created a threat to Crimea, which we had to take under our protection. They launched a war in Donbas in 2014 with the use of aircraft and artillery against civilians. This is when it all started. There's a video of aircraft attacking Donetsk from above. They launched a large-scale military operation, then another one. When they failed, they started to prepare the next one. All this against the background of military development of this territory and opening of NATO's.  -- V.V. Putin

It was Gimli the dwarf who broke in suddenly. 'The words of this wizard stand on their heads,' he growled, gripping the handle of his axe. 'In the language of Orthanc help means ruin and saving means slaying, that is plain. But we do not come here to beg.'

17 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

The_Capt's line about the collision of certainties comes to mind. Just because it is total bleep doesn't mean they don't believe it. It is probably worth mentioning that the textbooks say that because some pet pseudo historian that Putin likes wrote them. It would fascinating to compare what they say now to what they said in 1985.

18 minutes ago, David Jaros said:

This is quite a shocking video and it was mentioned in that interview with Carlson It is unbelievable

This event in the Canadian parliament was already discussed here at length when it happened.

Did Tucker by any chance ask Putin about the countless killed Ukrainian civilians and kidnapped children? I did not watch the interview so I don't know.

37 minutes ago, David Jaros said:

This is quite a shocking video and it was mentioned in that interview with Carlson It is unbelievable

Weren’t you given a warning about trolling? Dumb move by an ignorant Canadian politician. Had nothing to do with Zelensky or Trudeau directly.

Edited by akd

4 minutes ago, David Jaros said:

oh it was Russian propaganda really?

I banned you for 2 weeks because it's obvious you a) are here to troll and b) think we're stupid enough not to notice.  I didn't give you a permanent ban, which is the usual punishment for so willingly ignoring warnings, but hey... it's Friday and I'm in a giving mood.

Steve

Yes, Trudeau is a total nazi, FFS 🤪

Which totally justifies mass murder, child kidnapping, destruction of city after city after city, endless missile attacks on civilians, sabotage of world energy & food markets  -- I am sure I am forgetting some other atrocities.  yep, totally justified.

Boris Johnson was pretty blunt in his criticism of TC's interview:

“Not since George Galloway went to Baghdad and hailed the indefatigability of Saddam Hussein have we seen such a display of bum-sucking servility to a tyrant,” Johnston argued, adding that Carlson was “just the medium, the sewer, the hose” for Putin to spread his message to America.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/4459283-boris-johnson-calls-tucker-carlson-a-traitor-for-putin-interview/

Steve

Oregon Dan’s (or was it CA Dan?) wish comes true. Update on impact of Ukraine War on USA high profile and $$$ military program:

https://www.twz.com/air/cancelling-the-future-attack-recon-helicopter-was-the-right-move

“The news that the U.S. Army is cancelling one of its highest profile aviation programs, the Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft (FARA), with two competing prototypes already constructed, was a shock to many, but it really shouldn't have been. As the Pentagon is stacking its chips on the possibility of a high-end fight in the Pacific, and seeing the results of helicopter combat operations in Ukraine, the relevance of the FARA program had to be deeply questioned, and the assumptions of future aerial warfare it was based on needed serious re-examination too.”

Edited by NamEndedAllen

51 minutes ago, NamEndedAllen said:

Oregon Dan’s (or was it CA Dan?) wish comes true. Update on impact of Ukraine War on USA high profile and $$$ military program:

https://www.twz.com/air/cancelling-the-future-attack-recon-helicopter-was-the-right-move

“The news that the U.S. Army is cancelling one of its highest profile aviation programs, the Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft (FARA), with two competing prototypes already constructed, was a shock to many, but it really shouldn't have been. As the Pentagon is stacking its chips on the possibility of a high-end fight in the Pacific, and seeing the results of helicopter combat operations in Ukraine, the relevance of the FARA program had to be deeply questioned, and the assumptions of future aerial warfare it was based on needed serious re-examination too.”

I think was DanCA.  I actually hope they'll spend this money on drones.  Maybe one version would be like one seen here recently, that can carry a person-sized payload.  Comes in, delivers a soldier or ammo or food and leaves w wounded soldier.  ~100kg payload should do it.  Someone mentioned that it could get shot down -- a lot small target than a helicopter medevac, that's for sure.