How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

They really do hard work, but their "PR service" is on high level too. Brigade, which creates cool picture is more popular, more known, it risies more money for short time and have more potential volunteer recruits. Each brigade can make such footage, but onlly small number do this with such quality. And all they are former volunteer units, having roots in 2014. 

About rotations. If brigade is on frontline it's not means all staff 24/7 in the battle. Their units also have own micro-roattions. Today company A holds a trenche, company B prepares to assault in battalion rear, company C have a rest in brigade rear. Since some time they are change each other. Russians do the same. So, if you hear that in some sector UKR brigade X agaist Russian brigade Z, it's not means whole brigades fight each other in full composition.   

Are reinforcements implemented during these times when a company is behind the lines or only after the brigade is removed fully from the frontline? 

My girlfriends childhood friend fought in the 3rd so I am happy they upload so much, great to watch them kill Russians in revenge.

2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

I agree, but I shouldn't have to. The Wests 'toolbox' is still much 'better' relatively (better institutions for everyone, less poverty, less brutality, etc), but somehow we have lost part of our marketing/PR advantage; mostly because of our own design. 
We don't need Putin's toolbox, or rather what would make us different from Putin & co if we utilized the same type?

I don't think we lost anything when comes to convincing wide Russian populace, since we never even tried; it would be futile task to begin with (Ukrainains do their own actions in the net, though). All western PR successess/failures are being received and resonate withing strict Kremlin elites + higher echelons of middle class rather than broader population, which leads its own existence unconnected to war, content with simple propagadna answers as to "why we even are at it".

They were simply like that from the start, and beside sanctions, killing village guys and waiting till muscovite economy collapse we have little influence over them. And for people living in some Syberian countryside the West could as well be on the Moon. No serious "Hearts and Minds" were tried here to the best of my knowledge, even if we would have technical possibilities to pull it off.

Edited by Beleg85

Who amongst us didn't see this coming?  From ISW's Sept 28th report:

Russian forces have reduced the tempo of their localized offensive operations on the Kupyansk-Svatove-Kreminna line in recent days. Russian and Ukrainian officials are increasingly reporting fewer Russian ground attacks in the Kupyansk and Lyman directions, indicating that Ukrainian offensive operations have drawn Russian forces away from the Kupyansk-Svatove-Kreminna line and significantly degraded the Russian offensive effort on this line.

Hopefully this means Ukraine's eastern (Luhansk) front can get some rest and then go on a limited offensive.  Would be nice to get some more elbow room around Kupyansk.

Steve

5 hours ago, dan/california said:

A a rather large diffrence in what is killing tanks from more or less exactly fifty years ago.

I didn't realize it was that high, but not surprising, really, when you think about it. The ATGMs of the day that opposed the Israelis needed to be flown to the target by an operator. The defense against that was to spot the launch, and then hit it the position with suppressing fire immediately - MGs, tank rounds, whatever is handy. Artillery would be too slow. Standard tactics of the day, both there, and against any other Russian equipped force. 

So it wasn't *too* hard to spoil the aim of the ATGM operator, while a tank round is roughly instantaneous.

Dave

42 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

The ATGMs of the day that opposed the Israelis needed to be flown to the target by an operator.

It was hyped up by the media. In Europe it would be a lot harder more trees and manmade obstruction. The Sinai was ideal for Saggers and they were deployed there for the first time. 

7 hours ago, dan/california said:

Thanks for sharing Dan. Regarding quite a few of the artworks of the books mentioned in the thread. I have seen a few of them posted in placed like Steam and social media sites by tankie types. Now I know where they come from.

As someone who has consumed quite a few alternate history and techno-thriller books in my lifetime, I doubt any of these will be on my reading list anytime soon.

the Russian MoD shared the same video with the opposite message. It turned out to be a propaganda fake.

Just to get some clarification about yesterdays video which turned out to be a fake, or maybe I misunderstood what Mr.Kovalenko is saying.

So were the folks in the video unfortunately Surrendering AFU members or was the whole video fake created by Russia?   

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

The scene around the 14 second mark gives us a good view of the ratio of bomblets that detonate on impact (puffs of dirt) vs. the number that don't.

Steve

You sure? There would still be impacts, just without flashes.  A lot of bomblets are passing through the frame without impact because of extreme zoom flattening the perspective (their impacts would be below the bottom of the frame).

4 minutes ago, akd said:

You sure? There would still be impacts, just without flashes.  A lot of bomblets are passing through the frame without impact because of extreme zoom flattening the perspective (their impacts would be below the bottom of the frame).

Flashes could be missed due to shutter/frame speed but the puffs of smoke from actual detonation would be the final proof,  I guess?