How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

2 hours ago, The_Capt said:

The fact that Canadian parliament invited in a veteran of this Division, in the middle of a visit from the Ukrainian president, is a screw up of epic proportions.

It ties in so perfectly with the Russian talking point about the Ukrainians allegedly being Nazis and the opportunity to include Zelensky that I'm starting to wonder if the FSB had some influence in making this happen. Not that it shouldn't have been stopped, but why did someone think this was a good idea?

Now this is a good read =>

Biting Off What It Can Chew: Ukraine Understands Its Attritional Context - War on the Rocks

Here's the Bing Chat summary:

This document talks about:

but I think it's well worth a read.

21 minutes ago, Harmon Rabb said:

My condolences to the RAF for losing that crewed Storm Shadow missile over Ukraine.

I knew that the whole AI thing was BS.  Squirrels, genetically engineered highly intelligent squirrels.  Flight Lts Scrunchy and Fluffer Nutter will be remembered.  #10 Downing is in crisis mode, consultations with rodent community.  

1 hour ago, The_Capt said:

If they didn't bother to do a wiki search, it was administratively stupid.  If they knew and thought "shouldn't be a problem", it was politically stupid.  Outcome is the same regardless.  Right now the Chief of Defence Staff and Commissionaire of the RCMP are on camera next to the guy clapping and smiling - not a good look.  

Fully agreed.  To add to that: as much as I am, in vast understatement, not a fan of the current government, I find it incredible to think that someone did a background check and then thought "shouldn't be a problem".  The current government has done some foolish things to pander to, for example, the Sikh vote, but there isn't a meaningful 'aged former SS' vote.

So unless the Speaker or someone near that pipes up and says "but... we thought he was reformed", I'm leaning towards "administrative stupidity".

1 minute ago, Seedorf81 said:

More clues on suspected influence Ukrainians on Nordstream2.

I do not really know what to think about this, but researchers are no jokers as far as I know.

Interesting read.

https://nos.nl/nieuwsuur/artikel/2491917-new-leads-in-nord-stream-investigation-several-ukrainians-in-the-spotlight

Neither is the FSB. I simply can't imagine the Ukrainian government is involved. I bet there are many Ukrainians on the payroll of Putin.

And now Hunka is, or will be, the subject of an extradition request.

"Extradition sought of Waffen SS Nazi Veteran who was honoured by Trudeau and Freeland in Canada's Parliament. A Polish government minister has launched a bid to extradite Yaroslav Hunka, the 98-year-old Ukrainian-Canadian man who fought in a German-Nazi division during..."

The optics just keep getting worse; it is a gift to Russian propaganda; the extradition efforts will keep this in the news cycle for much, much longer than it naturally would.

Edited by acrashb

1 minute ago, acrashb said:

And now ... is, or will be, the subject of an extradition request.

"Extradition sought of Waffen SS Nazi Veteran who was honoured by Trudeau and Freeland in Canada's Parliament. A Polish government minister has launched a bid to extradite Yaroslav Hunka, the 98-year-old Ukrainian-Canadian man who fought in a German-Nazi division during..."

The optics just keep getting worse; it is a gift to Russian propaganda; the extradition efforts will keep this in the news cycle for much, much longer than it naturally would.

Can Canada extradite the Speaker of the House, and the aides that cooked this up, instead? Because I am absolutely certain they deserve it.

Continuing from my exploration of the various terrains ZSU is fighting across,  here's Verbove. 

Majakovsk does good work. 

It appears that South of  Bakhmut the ZSU is fighting across the topological grain butin Zaporizhzhia it is fighting along the grain. 

Both have plusses and minuses. 

Edited by Kinophile

13 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

Continuing from my exploration of the various terrains ZSU is fighting across,  here's Verbove. 

Majakovsk does good work. 

It appears that South of  Bakhmut the ZSU is fighting across the topological whereass in Zaporizhzhia it is fighting along the grain. 

Both have plusses and minuses. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5102427,36.1714752,12z/data=!5m1!1e4?entry=ttu

I finally took a hard look at Verbove on google maps. The village itself seems almost irrelevant,  other than it being a handy spot for the Russians to dig in. the really important terrain is the two parallel roads a few kilometers north of Verbove, and the hills that over look them. The T-0803, and T-0815 are two parallel roads that would allow the Ukrainans to unhinge the entire Russian defense in this sector if they can make it a few kilometers down them. The "attempt to flank Verbove" that is being cited in the media doesn't have anything to do with Verbove, other than it being a handy map reference, it is about those roads. There are some very useful street view photos that give some feel for he lines of sight involved. My opinion, worth what you paid.

2 hours ago, acrashb said:

And now Hunka is, or will be, the subject of an extradition request.

Well, this is rapidly becoming much more complicated than I anticipated on Sunday when I first read about it. Also, I have to admit, that unsettling feeling when both Steve and The Capt both acknowledge the complexity and historical context of the situation and then proceed to argue that holding the view that this isn’t a big deal politically is, in fact, a big deal politically makes me question my own shoot from the hip response to said issue.

An interesting discussion regardless. 

Edited by Raptor341

1 hour ago, The_Capt said:

I knew that the whole AI thing was BS.  Squirrels, genetically engineered highly intelligent squirrels.  Flight Lts Scrunchy and Fluffer Nutter will be remembered.  #10 Downing is in crisis mode, consultations with rodent community.  

Squirrels???  I thought they were flown by British space lobsters  <yeah, I've been lurking on the forums for that long...>

1 hour ago, acrashb said:

the extradition efforts will keep this in the news cycle for much, much longer than it naturally would.

Maybe maybe not. Note the linked article says the Polish education minister has said he is considering starting extradition proceedings.

Hummm there is a lot in that sentence that make this seem more like musings than actual action.

For those who doubt that a tiny minority of USA Congressional Representatives can disrupt aid to Ukraine, let alone shut down the government of the USA:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/25/us/politics/senate-shutdown-ukraine.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare
Money for Ukraine at Center of Senate Bid to Avert Shutdown

2 hours ago, The_Capt said:

This explains the lack of parachutes in the video captures of the Black Sea HQ attack.

Kamikaze Squirrels. Also explains the incredible flight patterns of some of those drone videos avoiding the cope nets.

18 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

On positive side- I almost forgot how high political standards of conduct looks like; well, that .^

58 minutes ago, IanL said:

Hummm there is a lot in that sentence that make this seem more like musings than actual action.

Correct, I am not even sure if source didn't made this up; no formal confirmation of any official request. Anyway, if this particular persona is guilty, evidence against him will probably pop up and he should be investigated (given his age, it will ofc go nowhere). If not, it's just another twitter drama made from opaque understanding that we will forget in a week. Just a pitty Russians have a feast now.

Now, in real world:

Edited by Beleg85

14 minutes ago, Beleg85 said:

On positive side- I almost forgot how high political standards of conduct looks like; well, that .^

Correct, I am not even sure if source didn't made this up; no formal confirmation of any official request. Anyway, if this particular persona is guilty, evidence against him will probably pop up and he should be investigated (given his age, it will ofc go nowhere). If not, it's just another twitter drama made from opaque understanding that we will forget in a week.

This. The Canadian government says it has received no extradition request. The Polish official calling for extradition is known for bombastic public statements. It also seems unlikely he has any authority to extradite anyone given his job description: "In the fall of 2020, he was appointed minister of education and science, putting him in charge of  pre-school, general, special and vocational education in the country. He also oversees the approval of textbooks and issues related to the employment of teachers."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/yaroslav-hunka-poland-minister-extradite-1.6978266

Edited by Vanir Ausf B