How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

6 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Providing it's real... The language alone is just comical.  What century is this again?  Are we all grey haired seljak (peasants) or something?

Pretty sure that is straight off the Russian Embassy in Canada twitter account.

43 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

To be fair... most of the stuff we're seeing is about tactics and not the equipment itself.  Someone watching a video of a guy repeatedly whacking his thumb with a hammer doesn't mean the hammer is overrated.

Here's the thing about Combat Mission that makes it so unique.  Our goal was to make a hyper realistic simulator that was also fun to play as a game.  Most of what is out there was designed to be a game of varying degrees of realism without diving deep enough to really be considered a simulator.

This is not only important for us to claim CM is very realistic, it is also important for us (i.e. Battlefront folks) to learn what the modern battlefield might be like.  With that in our minds we can better question some of the assumptions that others made.  Case in point...

During the immediate fallout of the first Russian invasion of Ukraine there was a reaction from NATO. They understood what was coming even if their political masters did not.  So they started getting ready for things to get worse with Russia. 

There was a big wargame done on what might happen if Russia invaded the Baltics.  The conclusion was that even with significant NATO reinforcements that they'd be wiped out.  I called BS on that and engaged some good people in debate.  What was the cornerstone of my argument?  Javelin.  And where did I come to that conclusion?  Combat Mission.

So now here we are with an actual Russian conventional land attack.  Would it have gone this horribly in the Baltics?  Probably not because the Russians would have started with the premise that NATO wouldn't surrender in the first day.  But I don't think the outcome would be much different.  Russian forces would have gotten themselves very quickly confused and shredded by even light NATO forces with minimal support.  At the time I was being called overly optimistic, now I don't think I'd be called that.

It seems even a nOoB CM player would handle the Russian forces better than we've seen in this war in most places most of the time.  I'm sure you'd make Brigadier General your first week on the battlefield, especially if you could figure out how to keep your forces fueled and fed ;)

Steve

Demand  for the logistics module is going to be impressive after this.

Neither side’s claims have been independently verified, and Biden administration officials have refused to discuss casualty figures publicly. But one American official put the Russian losses as of Monday at 2,000, an estimate with which two European officials concurred.

Senior Pentagon officials told lawmakers in closed briefings on Monday that Russian and Ukrainian military deaths appeared to be the same, at around 1,500 on each side in the first five days, congressional officials said. But they cautioned that the figures — based on satellite imagery, communication intercepts, social media and on-the-ground media reports — were estimates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/us/politics/russia-ukraine-war-deaths.html

Speaking of losing the propaganda war that tax notice and others clearly indicate something... Ukraine is so confident they will win, so confident in their moral high ground, so confident that the world has their back, that they can devote government time and resources to making fun of the Russian invaders.

Putin would recognize that world is not laughing with Ukraine, they are laughing at him.  Knowing his personality type, that would hurt him more than his pending heart attack.  If he read any of this stuff or anybody was brave enough to present it to him.  I'm sure there are too many open windows in his office for people to want to risk that.

That tax notice is right up there with the librarians!  Too funny.

Steve

3 minutes ago, akd said:

APTOPIX_Russia_Ukraine_War221033.jpg

Where is this one?  Hmm... is that a BMP-3 at the head of the column?

Well, Ukraine can at least be thankful that Russia is going to make cleaning up this mess a bit easier than it otherwise could be.  After WW2 they were picking up wrecked vehicles for years because of how scattered and remote they were.  This is the exact opposite.

Steve

1 minute ago, Battlefront.com said:

Where is this one?  Hmm... is that a BMP-3 at the head of the column?

Well, Ukraine can at least be thankful that Russia is going to make cleaning up this mess a bit easier than it otherwise could be.  After WW2 they were picking up wrecked vehicles for years because of how scattered and remote they were.  This is the exact opposite.

Steve

CMBS has repeatedly made me think I am the worst company commander on earth. It turns out i am not even competitively bad. 

Just posted on Ukraine's General Staff FB page (updated with better translation):

🇺🇦 Оперативна інформація станом на 06.00 02.03.2022 щодо #російського_вторгнення / 🇬🇧 Operational information as of 06.00 on 02.03.2022 regarding the #russian_invasion (English below)

Operational information as of 06.00 on 02.03.2022 regarding the #russian_invasion (English below) Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYE253mKgiU Trivaє soma doba heroic resistance of the Ukrainian people to the Russian invasion. On Podilskoe directly, the enemy with the forces of thirteen armored personnel carriers from the warehouse of the Skhidnoye Military District of the RF Armed Forces is trying to continue the offensive along the line of Gorenichi, Gostomel, Demidiv near the direct line to Kiev with the method of blocking the capital from the pivnіchnoy and pivnіchno-zahіdnogo straight lines.

Near the Zhytomyr region, up to three BTGrs are shipped from the warehouse 5 zagalnovyskovoy army.

On the Siverskoe straight ahead, up to seventeen armored personnel carriers of the occupying troops, not zvazhayut on spending on living forces and technology, continue offensive actions with the method of blocking Kiev from the pivnichny gathering. Zagarbnikov zupineno in the areas of settlements Kozelets, Bobrovitsya, Makiiv. In a different direction, near the settlements of Svitilnya, Peremoga, Gostroluchya, the enemy's army spent their offensive potential.

The witches of the army with the forces of up to two armored personnel carriers can roam nearby, try to take them down in the sharpened heroic Ukrainian towns of Sumi, Lebedin and Okhtirka. On Slobozhansky straight ahead, up to sixteen armored personnel carriers continue the offensive operation near Krasnograd and with part of the forces up to four armored personnel carriers on Izyum. Zagarbnik ponіs spend that buv zupiny in the areas of settlements in Bogodukhiv, Chuguiv, Shevchenkove.

Directly on Donetsk, without hope of success, the aggressor set his sights on the blockade of the Mariupol area.

On Tavriyskoye directly, the enemy is continuing offensive operations in the areas of the settlements of Skadovsk, Gola Pristan, Kherson, Snigurivka, Nova Kakhovka. After the regrouping, we continue the transfer from Kherson and Mykolayev straight away. Up to two BTGs are located in the areas of the settlements of Vasilivka, Chervone Pole, Novopetrivka.

At the Black Sea Operational Zone, the enemy is deploying the ship's group and continuing the preparations until the amphibious landing operation is carried out. Without omitting success in pushing through their forces, the enemy continues to carry out rocket and bomb strikes on critical infrastructure facilities, using the method of slandering the civilian population, like the husband’s cry-o-cry with the Armed Forces of Ukraine to repair the opir.

The morale of the enemy and that will to the point of victory are rapidly lowering the zavdyaks of the steadfast defense of our troops. Okupanti can be spent on all directions. Information about the price is cheap.

At once MI destroys the enemy, for the truth is on our side! Victory will be ours! Glory to Ukraine!

A friend just reminded me of another unanticipated outcome of all this... a huge number of Western institutions and individuals who have been happily laundering billions of Dollars in Russian money every year are suddenly going to have to do without.  Laundering was generally pretty easily done before the war, even legal.  Now it will be back to suitcases stuffed with paper money handed over in person.

Steve

3 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

A friend just reminded me of another unanticipated outcome of all this... a huge number of Western institutions and individuals who have been happily laundering billions of Dollars in Russian money every year are suddenly going to have to do without.  Laundering was generally pretty easily done before the war, even legal.  Now it will be back to suitcases stuffed with paper money handed over in person.

Steve

Going to be truly fascinating to see who suddenly goes broke.

7 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

To put this back into CMBS context for a minute...  I have to say I am laughing now as how so many fanboys wanted to scream American bias at you and complained forever ad nauseum on how underpowered Russia was as represented, how great their armor is, how modern and top notch their army is, how they would be so capable standing up against NATO forces... Fix or do somefink! 

CMBS also has Ukrainians as the weakest ground force. Time to rebalance the game eh

57 minutes ago, Homo_Ferricus said:

Bucha? I recall seeing similar roads lined with wrecks alleging to be there. I imagine the West is passing solid intel about Russian attempts to flank Kyiv on the west side, and the UA are making good use of it.

Confirmed, Bucha.  Reported from 2 days ago, not current.  The extent of burn damage seems to support that.

Steve

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Another interesting outcome, in the Netherlands there will be an investigation in the funding of certain (radical) right wing political parties with Russian money. Other European countries also are planning to do that. I'm pretty sure that the report will be interesting reading. Some of those treacherous politicians even now refuse to condemn Putin.

Hopefully that will be the end of these parties and convince their voters they are better served by the decent and normal right wing.

Edited by Aragorn2002

54 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Another interesting outcome, in the Netherlands there will be an investigation in the funding of certain (radical) right wing political parties with Russian money. Other European countries also are planning to do that. I'm pretty sure that the report will be interesting reading. Some of those treacherous politicians even now refuse to condemn Putin.

Hopefully that will be the end of these parties and convince their voters they are better served by the decent and normal right wing.

Very good news!

3 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:
Ukrainians continue to share the same wry sense of humour with their Russian cousins.... 

Stop calling us cousins please. Ukrainians are completely unrelated to russians. We share no history nor culture with them.

Just because they occupied our territories on and off for 300 years before - makes us connected to then literally in the same way as Czechs being connected to Germans.

13 minutes ago, kraze said:

Stop calling us cousins please. Ukrainians are completely unrelated to russians. We share no history nor culture with them.

Just because they occupied our territories on and off for 300 years before - makes us connected to then literally in the same way as Czechs being connected to Germans.

Well said, Kraze!