Disappearing Trees, Shell Deflection and Quantum Acting Shells

I wonder if it wouldn't be better just to remove the hitboxes for trees entirely and just add a time penalty for aiming when shooting into/out of forest tiles to simulate the tank trying to avoid hitting trees. Not a perfect solution by any means but it's gotta be better than impenetrable tree armor or your dummy gunners blasting away at a tree in front of your muzzle for a whole turn. Either that or just reduce your round penetration by a percentage and increase shot deviation but I don't know how difficult it would be to code something like that.

Who among us is good at doing tests to see if my hull down vs forest hypothesis stands up to be called a theory?  I might try doing a test, but I'm not sure it would meet the communities strict guidelines for testing (without folks telling me I was doing it all wrong :)).

14 minutes ago, Probus said:

Who among us is good at doing tests to see if my hull down vs forest hypothesis stands up to be called a theory?  I might try doing a test, but I'm not sure it would meet the communities strict guidelines for testing (without folks telling me I was doing it all wrong :)).

Yes my method of keeping a log is not good enough. Is nice if some guide is available of how to do a test. Hull down is finnicky as hell even I followed all the instructions to the letter.

Edited by chuckdyke

17 hours ago, Erwin said:

In the game we're playing now it seems that 76mm and lower does little if any damage to trees.  85mm and up does seem to be able to destroy trees.

For some reason I thought there was a 'destructiveness threshold' at 75mm, but I may be remembering something from CM1.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Well, I did do some testing which I was about to show you here but have realized I didn't save the turn (DANG IT!!!).  I could have sworn I saw a shell from an M1A2 Abrams in Black Sea go straight through a tree into a T-72 and out the back side of it.  Dang it, dang it, dang it.  That would have answered so many questions.  I just got all excited about trying to capture the shot that I forgot to save the turn.  And didn't get the capture, but that's nothing new.  Now all I've done is open up a can of worms...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:32 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd imagine an intervening tree would actually prevent a sabot from penetrating a tank.....I don't really have the facilities to test this, but I strongly suspect it to be the case.

Seems to me a pine tree would slow a shell down a hair whereas a big ole oak might just reduce it's energy enough to stop it from penetrating a MBT. Either way it should deflect the round a rnd%%.

• 1 month later...

What about small bushes!  Do not forget about them.  They are just as good at blocking incoming rounds.  Here is a screen shot from Barkman's Corner when I was just re-playing today.  Looks like the round hit the tank but it actually was deflected by the bush right below it (I looked at it from several different angles).  I know it is a AT rocket and I get it would explode when hitting a tree but NOT a bush.  This has been around since forever too.  I am guessing BF deems this a non worthy problem to put time into.  

image.png.af1db276a73a63ba2d080dc8e2e4cfd9.png

I'm currently on the 5th US mission in Black Sea, and have noticed a lot of my M1A2's shots getting caught on what appears to be invisible tree trunks or canopy when trying to blast sneaky Russian armor! So in addition to it being very difficult to spot enemies, the trees are on their side! The bastages..

Makes me wish there was some sort of foliage clearing shrapnel round to wipe out all greenery better than the Leveler in Ferngully!

TL;DR: DEATH TO TREES!

The_Leveler.jpg