So now that CMCW is being released on steam on the 16th...

Grey_Fox

• Grey_Fox changed the title to So now that CMCW is being released on steam on the 16th...
2 hours ago, recon28501 said:

This is great news, in that the WWII titles may be next for Steam.

Yes! Once all of the Combat Mission games are on Steam it will be much simpler to manage licensing on new computers. But more importantly it means more people will be buying and playing Combat Mission games. Which means that Battlefront gets more money. Which means that we get more Combat Mission games and modules.

11 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Battle for Normandy will be the next Steam release. 

Woot...

Imo not a  great video of pbem++++ but will do to help explain somewhat about it...

Ohhh I wonder who Elvis is? Lol I guess he spends more time playing games and posting it on YouTube than knowing who's who...

Edited by Holien

4 hours ago, Holien said:

Woot...

Imo not a  great video of pbem++++ but will do to help explain somewhat about it...

Ohhh I wonder who Elvis is? Lol I guess he spends more time playing games and posting it on YouTube than knowing who's who...

It's funny. I got the email notification yesterday afternoon about this battle and ignored it. 🙂 I did do my turn before making this post now that I know who grabbed the battle.

A couple of things about the video. He does a good job of showing everything even if he's a little off about a couple of items. And he showed an important part of it without realizing that he had.

As you saw, setting up a PBEM++ (the actual official wording is PBEM3++......we've gone with PBEM++ in game and in the manual. Apparently there is/was PBEM1++ and PBEM2++) battle is as simple as setting up any other kind of battle. The one thing he didn't go into was password protecting the PBEM++ battle. When you set up a battle if you leave the password blank then anyone can grab the Challenge. If you want to play against someone specific you should put a password in that field and let your opponent know what it is.

The Challenge screen, if there is an * in a Challenge's name then it is password protected. You can also tell a game is password protected if it displays a password field when selected. The * saves you going through each Challenge trying to find one that is a free for all.

What he wasn't sure of is where the file will appear when it's your turn. It will appear in the In Progress section. And, this is what he saw but didn't point out, if it's not your turn the Continue button will be grayed out. Once it's your turn to play the Continue button will be lit.

The first selection in the dropdown menu is Saved Games and Incoming Email. That is where you will find.....well....saved games. It is also where you'll find the email files if you are using the current non-PBEM++ email system. The last 2 are not used for anything. Removing them will happen at some point but doing that would have involved digging deep into the UI and doing that can sometimes break other things. So it was thought best to leave it for now. 

My final thought when looking at the video is that all games that are currently using the system will be wiped clean before Steam is up. His game against me will be gone. All of the Challenges listed there will be gone. 

I think that covers it. Also, Holien, I'm not insulted that he doesn't know who I am.....I don't know who he is either. 🙂 But I enjoyed his delivery so I think I'm going to check out more of his videos. It looks like Usually Hapless has his Steam copy. 

Quick question?

Do you login with your existing Slitherine / Matrix account details or is the PBEM a separate new account that needs to be made?

Thx (not used their PBEM before, but obviously bought a few games from both over the years).

Edited by Jace11

45 minutes ago, AlexUK said:

Will new PBEM work on the Battlefront version or only on Syteam version?

There will be a patch that will give it to the Battlefront version as well. The patch will probably not be out before the Steam release. However, games that begin with the Steam version can be continued on the Battlefront version. 

On 11/13/2021 at 6:38 PM, BFCElvis said:

My final thought when looking at the video is that all games that are currently using the system will be wiped clean before Steam is up. His game against me will be gone. All of the Challenges listed there will be gone.

I don't think they are gone... There are challenges from about a week ago in the list.

1 hour ago, 3Whisky said:

I don't think they are gone... There are challenges from about a week ago in the list.

You are correct. It doesn't appear that the server was wiped as we'd been told. mhardist* is from Slitherine. I don't know who Shards4 is. The other ones were from YouTubers that got advanced copies. 

It's been fun watching Challenges appear on the list and disappear as people grab them to play. It is still early in the release but something that some of us had discussed was how long the list of available Challenges may get. My guess was that it wouldn't be a super long list. That Challenges would come off the list at about the same rate as they are put up. We'll see.  

On 11/16/2021 at 12:43 PM, BFCElvis said:
On 11/16/2021 at 10:39 AM, 3Whisky said:

You are correct. It doesn't appear that the server was wiped as we'd been told. mhardist* is from Slitherine. I don't know who Shards4 is. The other ones were from YouTubers that got advanced copies. 

LOL I was not paying attention to the forums so I found out the game was released when one of my test challenges was picked up. I have no idea who I'm playing.