Archer Tank Destroyers facing wrong way?

Hello.

I'm playing a scenario "Flames in the Mist" and my Archer Tank Destroyers are facing the wrong direction.  When I give them a command move they move backwards (in reverse).  Any thoughts on why this might be happening?  

I've tried to upload an image but my screenshot files are too big.

Andy

35 minutes ago, Field Oggy said:

It causes no more issues than German flak halftracks do.

I have had these in game, for example in FI.  The P47 (I think) turned up and strafed and bombed for several minutes (hitting mostly Americans), perhaps distracted by a bit of fire from my flak halftrack.  The Germans then dismounted and ran away, not sure why.

But yes the backwards orientation is similar.

I thought a movement order applies to the vehicle, irrespective of gun orientation?

This is one of my scenarios and I can tell you the Archer is behaving exactly as it was designed. The Archer is a tank destroyer with the gun mounted over the rear of the vehicle. It was intended to be used in ambush shoot and scoot situations where the tank would be reversed into an ambush zone and then drive away at full speed after engaging the enemy. These vehicles would also be used as longer range fire support, where the risk of close engagement could be avoided. To use them in this role, reverse them into firing positions and blast away.

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

It would make sense for all such vehicles to move backwards as "normal" ie they can hunt.  Am assuming that the Archer can now hunt.  Even tho' one wouldn't normally hunt with an AA unit, it would be helpful.

It was a mobile AT gun. Your attack fails you fall back according to plan for this eventuality. In other words, you need something powerful enough to deal with the German breakthrough tanks like the Tiger. here is where the mobile at guns come in. They were used for a mobile defense. 

7 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

This is one of my scenarios and I can tell you the Archer is behaving exactly as it was designed. The Archer is a tank destroyer with the gun mounted over the rear of the vehicle. It was intended to be used in ambush shoot and scoot situations where the tank would be reversed into an ambush zone and then drive away at full speed after engaging the enemy. These vehicles would also be used as longer range fire support, where the risk of close engagement could be avoided. To use them in this role, reverse them into firing positions and blast away.

Hi, thanks for the response and for everyone else's comments.  I didn't realise that they were meant to face backwards!  I've been playing it all wrong!

Great scenario btw!  :)

2 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

If that's the best drinks and nibbles they had to offer I'm surprised anyone turned up 😀.

The clean cut soft drinks image suited both Epstein and Archer, who already had his sights firmly set on Westminster. Of course Lenin would sometimes throw a spanner in the works, like the scene from A Hard Day's Night where he puts a finger up to his nostril whilst holding a bottle of coke.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

The clean cut soft drinks image suited both Epstein and Archer, who already had his sights firmly set on Westminster. Of course Lenin would sometimes throw a spanner in the works, like the scene from A Hard Day's Night where he puts a finger up to his nostril whilst holding a bottle of coke.

don't you mean  a 'spaniard" in the works, ol'  ollie?

cheers,

rob

17 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Rob

No, I don't. The tome you mentioned was called "A Spaniard in the Works".

And I don't accept "cheers" from people who collaborate with the Dictatorship of the Semi-literate.

Warts

quite literate, actually, just clumsy fingered and not wanting to go back and make more corrections in my typing.  sad to see such kneejerk snobbery in someone who's posts i've always admired for their wit and shared triviatic focus.  

good day, sir

Edited by quakerparrot67
misspell