Engine 5 Wishlist

Perhaps give the player the option to change the floating incon graphics of desired units.

In somewhat larger battles, atleast when you start splitting the squads,  it could be a handy feature to be able to designate varios teams as brech teams, AT teams, fire support teams, recon teams etc instead of simply having them displayed as a regular infantry incons.

8 hours ago, PEB14 said:

It has been extensively discussed elsewhere, but something shall be done for SPW/halftrack gunner survivability in any CM3/engine 5 upgrade...

Not just halftracks, but all AFV CE in general. They are far too easily picked off by just one or two rounds of infantry fire. I suspect the modifier for that situation is not as restrictive as ASL's +2 was, and it needs to be!

7 hours ago, CarlXII said:

Perhaps give the player the option to change the floating incon graphics of desired units.

In somewhat larger battles, atleast when you start splitting the squads,  it could be a handy feature to be able to designate varios teams as brech teams, AT teams, fire support teams, recon teams etc instead of simply having them displayed as a regular infantry incons.

Doesn't it do this already? When I split up squads per their specific teams, I get different icons according to what their team is, at least for AT or LMG teams. On the other hand, is it the 'iron' setting or some such that restricts display of team icons?

1 hour ago, RMM said:

Doesn't it do this already? When I split up squads per their specific teams, I get different icons according to what their team is, at least for AT or LMG teams. On the other hand, is it the 'iron' setting or some such that restricts display of team icons?

I do not see that...When i split a squad all i get is the same infantry icon for every typ of split-of part.

Playing on elite difficulty.

Are you using some kind of incon mod ?

16 minutes ago, CarlXII said:

I do not see that...When i split a squad all i get is the same infantry icon for every typ of split-of part.

Playing on elite difficulty.

Are you using some kind of incon mod ?

I am, but don't think that would make a difference, coz the mod can only work on the info the game provides it. Maybe I'm getting it confused with specialized teams that are specified form the beginning... will have to check it again.  

Edited by RMM

suppression of infantry (or wounding) in front of friendly tanks and IFVs when they fire their main gun. This is exactly the kind of thing real world soldiers and vehicles have to worry about, but is ignored by CM despite it having systems to replicate its effects.

1 hour ago, Jace11 said:

suppression of infantry (or wounding) in front of friendly tanks and IFVs when they fire their main gun. This is exactly the kind of thing real world soldiers and vehicles have to worry about, but is ignored by CM despite it having systems to replicate its effects.

Ive run into that issue plenty of times. its frustrating as hell. Yeah definitely wait until the IFV is done firing. the problem I run into is infantry reaction time when going into the building. Infantry reaction time and common sense need improvement 

1 minute ago, ViperAssassin26 said:

. the problem I run into is infantry reaction time when going into the building.

There is a few things you can do. Going into buildings cold is a definite no no. Reaction time is 7 seconds I found, tactical reloads take time too.

38 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

There is a few things you can do. Going into buildings cold is a definite no no. Reaction time is 7 seconds I found, tactical reloads take time too.

I just started using hunt. of course waiting until the enemies been suppressed. For example in the training scenario I go uphill to get closer to the building. then use the other half of the squad to surpress the enemy while the first team enters the far left building. then I lift fire

8 hours ago, ViperAssassin26 said:

I just started using hunt.

Try Hunt +a Fire order. They won't fire while they move but I found they have the first shot on full contact. It works when the unit has a strong tentative contact. Just try it I quote only in game experience it was not tested as such.

On 3/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, PEB14 said:

It has been extensively discussed elsewhere, but something shall be done for SPW/halftrack gunner survivability in any CM3/engine 5 upgrade...

Yes, they should all get red shirts. 😄

Edited by Butschi

On 3/17/2023 at 7:26 AM, Jace11 said:

Actually thought I'd seen it do this, but that may be more as a result of the explosion close by. It does reflect friendly casualties if affected by the hit, but perhaps not because of the actual shot(?)

On 3/17/2023 at 9:15 AM, ViperAssassin26 said:

I just started using hunt. of course waiting until the enemies been suppressed. For example in the training scenario I go uphill to get closer to the building. then use the other half of the squad to surpress the enemy while the first team enters the far left building. then I lift fire

Exactly how it's done in RL

12 hours ago, ViperAssassin26 said:

if only we could get Realistic room clearing movement

Realistic enough combine fire + hunt and you are the first to fire at a tentative contact. Just try it and see for yourself and watch what the animation is doing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to see more options for modders.

In particular, the possibility to fully mod a battalion's OOB: from elementary building blocks (e.g., infantry squad, mortar team, MG team, HQ team, HQ support team, etc.), the possibility to build completely a battalion OOB. Modder shall be enabled to choose the number of men and the number and type of weapons for each elementary block (e.g., 12-men squads with Carcano rifles only, or 10-men squads with 9 Mauser and 1 MG34, or 2-men HQ teams with 1 Webley revolver and 1 Garand rifle, etc.). Names of units, name of men, even nationalities, could be modified by the modder.

Considering the lack of interest from the BFC team towards early WW2, this would allow the modders to build very realistic early German, early Soviet, early UK, French, Romanian, Finnish, Greek, etc. infantry units, using available weapons to model the RL ones (I mean, in game terms, I don't think there is much difference between a Hotchkiss 13 mm MG and a US cal. 50 one).

The Holy Grail would be the possibility to modify the vehicles capabilities: crew size, armament type and calibre, speed... This would also allow modders to recreate extremely realistic early war armors... But whereas the battalion modding stuff doesn't seem unrealistic, this is a lot less likely to ever happen...

3 hours ago, Artkin said:

I can't remember how many times I've seen battlefront say no. Never ever happening sadly 

Is there a reason why they say now? Technically, it doesn't sound insane… And if they're not going to early war, they've got nothing to lose…

Just now, PEB14 said:

Is there a reason why they say now? Technically, it doesn't sound insane… And if they're not going to early war, they've got nothing to lose…

I cant remember. Something about the integrity of the spirit of the game, they dont want people using the game as a toy. Not like it's a simulator or anything.