Book Recommendations!!!

Hi all,

it was on hear I heard of panzer wrecks site. And fell in love with all the good rare and expensive books one can never get hold of lop, but I have a growing catalogue and would ask to post your recommendations.

Apart from work, and being with my boys the main thing I seem to do during this whole pandemic is reading. Can't get enough of it. 

Currently read.

Endkampf. Excellent title. 

War photography 1.0. nice little book.

Still to read.

12th SS panzer regiment Normandy.

Brandenburg's panther battalion.

Uboat suppliers (milkcows)

Cheers. 

Bubba

Yes, really like what Panzerwrecks are doing, have been following them from the start and always try to buy from them to support their efforts. If you liked Endkampf then I can recommend a couple of other books published by Luftfahrtverlag-Start

1. To the Gates of Moscow with the 3rd Panzer Division by Axel Urbanke & Dr Hermann Türk - massive tome, really well done.

2. Als Panzermann in Afrika und Italien 1942-45 - Tiger fest!

Both are expensive and may even be out of print but they are fantastic quality and superbly put together.

Then if you are interested in Market Garden and the German defensive operations in North West Europe in Autumn 1944 these two published by De Zwaardvisch will keep you busy for a while:

1. Kampfgruppe Walther and Panzerbrigade 107 - mega detailed, excellent quality

2. Autumn Gale (Herbststurm) - huge and important

Again both are expensive and hard to get, but worth tracking down.

If you just want something serious to read without too many pictures then you could look to titles by Wilhelm Thieke, Between the Oder and the Elbe and The Caucasus and the Oil are two that spring to mind, they’re published by J.J. Fedorowicz Publishing so the quality is a bit suburban but the content still make them worthwhile. They are again quite pricey but can be had for discounts if you hunt around.

Happy New Year Reading!

44 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

I've been after the autumn gale and the other title of panzer division 107. Was so annoyed that I missed a recent reprint of those. As copy's now on eBay go for some serious money.

Yes, they are going for silly money at the moment. I was lucky and got them last year when they did a reprint. You could try emailing the publishers - they have a PayPal email address on their how to order web page http://www.autumngale.com/order/ but I can't see any other contact details, might be worth a punt even if only to register interest. I'd imagine they only need to print a few thousand copies to justify a reprint at this price point, there is obviously demand judging by the fact that people are willing to pay over the odds for a copy. 

Also worth keeping a search bookmarked on eBay - if you're prepared to wait you might bag a bargain - I recently got hold of a Wilhelm Thieke title for well under the usual silly-money asking prices. 

I have also veen reading quite alot this last year...and the more you read...the more intresting it gets 😁...

I'm currently reading a series of books by...

Valeriy Zamulin

Covering the battle of Kursk.

All I can say is WOW !!! 

I'm totaly blow away by the quality of these books...they are amazing...the best books i have read so far...the research, his level of knowlede and his ability to 'share' it is outstanding.

I have currently read:

- Battle of Kursk, controversial and neglected aspects

- The forgotten battles of the Kursk sailent, 7th guards armys stand against army detachment Kent

I have also ordered:

- Demolishing the myth, the tankbattle at Prokhorovka

It shall recieve it the next week...and will dive straight in 😊

I belive that he is currently working on two more books covering the planning and preparations for the campaign...

Those will also end up in my 'library' ones released.

Panzer Aces three book bundle:
Panzer Aces, Panzer Aces II, Panzer Aces III three book bundle

Panzergrenadier Aces

Stackpole Military History series has a very large assortment of war books to read I must say...

Others:
From the Realm of a Dying Sun. Volume 1: IV. SS-Panzerkorps and the Battles for Warsaw, July–November 1944
From the Realm of a Dying Sun. Volume 2: Volume II: The IV. SS-Panzerkorps in the Budapest Relief Efforts, December 1944–February 1945

Just found this one and will get it at some point, sounds interesting (three book bundle):
Wehrmacht Combat Reports

Edited by Blazing 88's

12 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yes, they are going for silly money at the moment. I was lucky and got them last year when they did a reprint. You could try emailing the publishers - they have a PayPal email address on their how to order web page http://www.autumngale.com/order/ but I can't see any other contact details, might be worth a punt even if only to register interest. I'd imagine they only need to print a few thousand copies to justify a reprint at this price point, there is obviously demand judging by the fact that people are willing to pay over the odds for a copy. 

Also worth keeping a search bookmarked on eBay - if you're prepared to wait you might bag a bargain - I recently got hold of a Wilhelm Thieke title for well under the usual silly-money asking prices. 

I have emailed them and asked etc, they mention they are working currently on a 3rd book and would rather wait for a reprint when that title is released. 

And I think the publishers/authors like the limited prints etc as it increases the value and demand of their titles. Which is annoying. Lol. 

6 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

I have emailed them and asked etc, they mention they are working currently on a 3rd book and would rather wait for a reprint when that title is released. 

Great, a third title is something to look forward to, and a reprint is worth waiting for, at least you’re more likely to pay only max cover price then rather than an inflated fleabay price.

6 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

And I think the publishers/authors like the limited prints etc as it increases the value and demand of their titles. Which is annoying. Lol

Well kinda, it’s good for kudos, but they don’t usually benefit financially since the inflated prices are usually charged by secondhand dealers or the odd book seller that realises they can make a quick, extra profit. Having worked in the book industry for many years I know that most publishers work on very slim margins, niche publishers even more so. They are probably just looking to build the numbers while the cover price will either be the same or with an increase for inflation. Enough people making enough noise will spur them on to reprint. Either way it’s worth waiting for the reprints.

2 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

Unternehmen Ilse: 5. SS-Panzer Division Wiking Eastern Front 27 April 1944

Kampfgruppe Mühlenkamp: 5. SS-Panzer Division “Wiking”, Eastern Poland, July 1944

just grabbed these babys!!!!!! yes!!!.....

Both superbly produced books though a little limited in their scope, they are ideal for the dedicated modeller as the detail in the photos is just fantastic. I think the key is to sign up to publisher and bookseller email lists to get a heads-up on when these types of titles are coming out, that way one can get in quick and avoid disappointment.

2 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

again, these two titles have been out of stock for sometime and get seriously inflated. found one of these for sale somewhere online once for £1000+

That's just downright silly. Over time these kind of books do become rare and expensive but what I've also noticed is that prices tend to level out and fall back a bit. I purchased a couple of books some time ago from Remy Spezzano/RZM and for a time their prices were silly but when I went to sell one of them I found the price had fallen back somewhat, though still a bit inflated. Incidentally I think he still has these two for sale on his web store - good investment pieces.

• 2 months later...

I have a large picture book named "Battle of the Bulge Through The Lens" by Philip Michael Vorwald. Its filled with then-and-now photos of locations of famous photos, including maps. An added treat is now you can use the book the navigate Google Earth Street View. So you get an example of what the location looked like in 1944, what it looked like 50 years later, and also what it looks like now! :P

35 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I have a large picture book named "Battle of the Bulge Through The Lens" by Philip Michael Vorwald. Its filled with then-and-now photos of locations of famous photos, including maps. An added treat is now you can use the book the navigate Google Earth Street View. So you get an example of what the location looked like in 1944, what it looked like 50 years later, and also what it looks like now! :P

So a bit like a modern 'Battle of the Bulge Then and Now' (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Bulge-Then-Jean-Paul-Pallud/dp/0900913401)?

An absolute classic, as good now as it was then 😉.  And currently on the floor by my bed...

16 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

@RepsolCBR what did you think of this one, it sounds good?  Found a cheap paperback version for sale so might give it a go.

Hello...

I never got that book unfortunatelly...The order got cancelled because of the book being out of stock.

Last time i checked it was still not avaliable (in Sweden) but i will get it one some day soon, hopefully.

The other two books by the same writer (also covering Kursk) that i mentioned above was VERY GOOD...I'm sure that this one will be of the the same quality...

Go for it...i say 😎

13 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

lately i have been watching/listening to this...It's been very intresting but its a rather long audiobook...50-ish hours just about.

Read that many years ago (before audiobooks, or at least modern audiobooks - back then it would have been about 100 cassette tapes). Class and classic text though quite heavy going, worth the effort, might have to give it a (re)spin sometime.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:13 PM, Blazing 88's said:

I believe there is a third volume of this coming out in April for those interested. Covers the final phases of the fighting in Hungary and retreat into Austria. Ideal accompaniment to Fire & Bubble ...

I did the giant Richard Evans trilogy on the 3rd Reich, 80+ hours of audio book heaven, below is link to the 3rd book.

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Third-Reich-at-War-Audiobook/B003ZZT1WA?ref=a_library_t_c5_libItem_&pf_rd_p=85df3330-9dc4-4a45-ae69-93cc2fc25ca4&pf_rd_r=81YXBMWN4MEX8G4GQSQK

Currently doing Enduring the Whirlwind, great analysis using lots of data but still quite good.  Basically the demographic/logistical/economic aspects of German operations on east front 1941-43.  So much blood on treasure it's hard to comprehend.

17 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I believe there is a third volume of this coming out in April for those interested. Covers the final phases of the fighting in Hungary and retreat into Austria. Ideal accompaniment to Fire & Bubble ...

Great thanks for the heads up!

I am currently reading Escaping the Trap (tamupress.com). An excellent account of the X Corps in Korea in 1950. This book gives mostly the US Army side of the campaign, Task Force Faith etc. As usual Lt. Col. Appleman goes into great detail on the hell of Chosin and though outnumbered the US Army and Marines fought with everything they had in horrendous conditions. If you like detailed operational reading you will really enjoy it. 

17 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

O yes. Pre-ordered and waiting. 

Wait a minute, pre-ordered? That sounds familiair. 😉