The British Forces Campaign - Highland Games

BFCElvis

Second try on the counterattack and I got another tactical V w the enemy surrendering w a lot of time left.  So I'd say it's pretty well designed -- the enemy hit me hard even when I knew what was coming. 

Now onto the nasty-looking next battle.  Looks like nice places for enemy to launch ambushes.

2 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Second try on the counterattack and I got another tactical V w the enemy surrendering w a lot of time left.  So I'd say it's pretty well designed -- the enemy hit me hard even when I knew what was coming. 

Now onto the nasty-looking next battle.  Looks like nice places for enemy to launch ambushes.

Be sure to name a saved game so you won't forget it at the start of this mission. This will give you a chance to come back and take the other branch of the campaign. 

If I were to start this campaign with the current PLT HQ units not able to call in support and the game got a patch to address this issue during my playthrough, would it be likely that I would have to restart the campaign to get the fix? If so I'll just hold off on playing it until a fix is out. 

You'd probably find varying opinions about that. For me, I would say it didn't matter that much. A Challenger can call for fire. In a number of the scenarios I would say I didn't make full use of the fire support I had (I know, sacrilege from a former artillery officer). I didn't always need it. 

I'm sure Erwin would say wait.

I can suggest a compromise - start, make sure to save at the beginning of each new mission. Then if you run into a situation where you feel you don't have assets to control artillery, take a break and wait for the fix. The campaign is long enough that it will take you a while anyway. 17 scenarios, I think, if you play both forks.

I can't say for sure, but it's a game issue, not a campaign issue, so *I think* that the saves would be compatible, so you wouldn't have to start over. During testing even when a new version of the campaign was put up after changes, I was able to start from the save I had made at the beginning of a scenario. 

Just a thought. Up to you

Dave

I have nothing but fun with this campaign.  Others disagree.  I never even noticed the PLT HQs could or could not call in fire because I don't like using such lower level units to call for arty (delays & accuracy) when there's anyone higher available.  And there was always someone higher available so was not an issue for me. 

Sounds like I am going to be using a lot of arty as I get into Damascus.  Later, I hope I can get the contracts to rebuild what I destroy.  That would be a really good end-to-end business -- get paid to destroy things and then paid to replace them.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the 'choice' scenario, capturing OBJ Damascus.  Was delayed due to stupid day job getting in the way of good fun.  I was so computer-ed out by end of day I wasn't finishing the battle.  So got a major V, taking OBJ in last minute.  Had to rush and took 6 casualties right at the end, dang it.  Good battle and I actually for once had a plan that worked well relative to enemy & terrain.  So Her Majesty's military command and allies are so pleased they are rewarding me with brutal MOUT missions?  ouch.  First one looks tough -- "Aadra adversity".  I would prefer something like "Aadra they have no idea the Brits coming and are totally unprepared and lightly armed"

2 hours ago, danfrodo said:

First one looks tough -- "Aadra adversity".  I would prefer something like "Aadra they have no idea the Brits coming and are totally unprepared and lightly armed"

No such luck. That would be nice, wouldn't it. Drive through and wave to the crowds. 🙂

• 2 months later...

Hi Heirloom, sorry for delayed response.  I had road trip to beautiful Montana to drop off a college student (stunning scenery, really is an amazing place).  Although it would've been more beautiful if more of them wore masks in the stores.  Unbelievable that ~60 yr old obese smokers would think they are not at risk.  Unbelievable.

Anyway, I took a break from the campaign because every December I go on a battle of the bulge binge in reading & CMFB.  Will get back to Highland Games in a week or two.  Currently doing the Road to Bastogne campaign (author Lille Fiskerby) which is excellent so far. 

• 1 month later...

Hey Heirloom, I am back in Syria after being de-incarnated back to Dec 1944 as a german for some nasty battles in The Road to Bastogne.  Now reincarnated as a Brit in Syria in modern times.  Campaign battle #14, Battle for Duma, about to begin.  And I have a holiday today (US president's day) to get started.  This battle looks really nasty -- sun going down, MOUT.  Briefing said don't be rash, move quickly (thanks to commanding officer for those wise and conflicting orders!).  Mixed UK/US force w three challengers.  I am actually feeling physical fear at moving my beloved pixeltruppen in!

• 2 weeks later...

Big oooooof. Lost 2 Challengers when I was waiting for Syrian counter-attacks in Mission 4... my 2IC and tank and one of my platoon leader tanks. Somehow the Syrians managed to spot me first even though I wasn't moving my tanks. Luckily managed to finish this mission with only 2 KIA and 2 tanks lost, though.

I'm quite proud of myself that I beat Mission 3 with ZERO losses and no incapacitated wounded, only a couple light wounds. Now I need to recon an airfield. Very fun campaign so far, @Heirloom_Tomato! I really enjoy playing with British forces.

Edited by character count

@character countGlad to hear you are enjoying it so far. Some of the missions are a tough challenge and others are a little easier. The lose of two command tanks is going to make C2 difficult!

One pro tip, make sure you keep the save game handy when you get to the scenario With the US or Alone. This scenario is where you decide to fight city battles with US help or stay in the more open country with just British forces. Whatever path you pick, come back to this scenario and take the other path to enjoy some extended campaign action.

12 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

@character countGlad to hear you are enjoying it so far. Some of the missions are a tough challenge and others are a little easier. The lose of two command tanks is going to make C2 difficult!

Interesting, I know I'll be at a slight disadvantage with the platoon leader's tank being knocked out, but I haven't quite figured out how a 2IC fits in with C2, would you be willing to clarify or point me in the direction of some place that does? A quick search on google tells me they'll fill in if the CO is killed, but do the perform any other functions?

2 minutes ago, character count said:

Interesting, I know I'll be at a slight disadvantage with the platoon leader's tank being knocked out, but I haven't quite figured out how a 2IC fits in with C2, would you be willing to clarify or point me in the direction of some place that does? A quick search on google tells me they'll fill in if the CO is killed, but do the perform any other functions?

I must have read it wrong, I thought you lost the CO tank and not the 2IC tank. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2021 at 4:58 AM, character count said:

In game terms, they're one hop sideways from the CO, and they both have radios.

That means that you can keep the two managing different parts of the battle. If the 2IC can get spotting contacts horizontally from the infantry platoon on the left, then this can be passed to the CO most efficiently, and he can pass that to the infantry platoon on the right.

It's a really useful capacity to have.

• 1 year later...

I believe I absolutely suck at this game because I'm having problems with just the first mission. I can win the mission but the losses I take are heavy. I'm guessing I'm not adapted to playing the British. 

The main issue I find is that it's very difficult to attack buildings because I lack the firepower and adequate infantry to do so. It's difficult to suppress the enemy with just 7.62s, even against green Syrian troops hiding in buildings. 

Any tips will be appreciated. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, Jarosak said:

I do not think british campaign for steam was update it till today . There are so many bugs i do not know if is the case for battlefront version but for example in first mission british warrior wrap 2 missing its 30mm Rarden cannon  and is only able to use coax 7.62mm chain gun 

If this is the vehicle carrying the Forward Observer, then it is not a bug. The warrior in question is the artillery observation variant which features a dummy cannon. The real cannon has been removed to make space for the observation equipment and a dummy cannon left in place to appear to be a regular vehicle.

I hope you gave the mission a play through anyways and are enjoying the campaign!