CM Battle for Normandy v4.03 patch has been released

Here is a direct link to the patch:

https://battlefront.sharefile.com/share/view/s1a0dbf4e9524f2e9/fo4e72e0-a1b7-4d2d-90e6-bd339ae01890

Patch notes:

v4.03 PATCH NOTES

AI
* Soldiers are more likely to hold their ground and shelter in place when suppressed in defensible terrain (building, hedgerow, etc), rather than engage in evasive behavior

TO&E AND FORMATIONS
* Fixed missing Firefly crews from Canadian and Polish battalions with 5 troops

ART AND MODELS
* Replaced some weapon 2D textures and/or 3D models with improved versions ported from Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg

BUG FIXES
* FIXED: Soldiers on upper building floors would inappropriately react to suppression from enemy fire
* FIXED: Infantry under fire seek cover in the direction of the fire (further adjustments from last patch)
* FIXED: Infantry pathing bug caused by adjusting a distant waypoint
* FIXED: High Explosive shells needed to be less effective when impacting in soft terrain (such as mud)

Tried a few battles and the opening mission of The Scottish Corridor for a test. So far our old friend the hedgerow gap charge has failed to put in an appearance. Units are cowering, regaining their composure and then resuming the fight. Once I've finished my current RT campaign I'll be getting back to Normandy. Exits stage right singing "Oliver's Army" badly -->

just made 3 test runs in a particular mission of mine and (concrete) pillboxes vulnerable from mortar rounds penetrating straight to the interior seems gone now. 😎 There´s some occasional lightly wounded from near misses, but I treat that as realistic (more or less). Got to check evade behavior next (CMBN & CMFB).

10 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Tried a few battles and the opening mission of The Scottish Corridor for a test. So far our old friend the hedgerow gap charge has failed to put in an appearance. Units are cowering, regaining their composure and then resuming the fight. Once I've finished my current RT campaign I'll be getting back to Normandy. Exits stage right singing "Oliver's Army" badly -->

That's one I specifically kept looking at in testing, and without giving spoilers away, the issues were on the right, and with a German AT gun. Everyone behaves as you would expect now. Another good test is "A Pleasantly Shaded Wood"  Play as the Germans and pay attention to the behavior of the troops in the sunken road. They used to panic out into the field when fired on from across the field. Now they will, at worst, drop back into the sunken road and regroup, or they will just cower in place.

It works in other titles as well, just that the original problem was much more prominent in BN.

Dave

Tried a few battles and the opening mission of The Scottish Corridor for a test

yes happy to report that this first scenario which started all the wailing and gnashing of teeth back in the day, is now behaving as expected - with the Boche staying Boche rather than Turning Japanese. 

Yoicks, and away!

1 hour ago, PIATpunk said:

yes happy to report that this first scenario which started all the wailing and gnashing of teeth back in the day, is now behaving as expected - with the Boche staying Boche rather than Turning Japanese. 

Yoicks, and away!

Dude, you're the benchmark. I'm glad it's what you'd hoped for.

1160943057_CMNormandyMortarPillbox.thumb.jpg.08550ae924900280664382f1fd75db66.jpg

On 7/17/2020 at 4:59 PM, RockinHarry said:

just made 3 test runs in a particular mission of mine and (concrete) pillboxes vulnerable from mortar rounds penetrating straight to the interior seems gone now. 😎 There´s some occasional lightly wounded from near misses, but I treat that as realistic (more or less). Got to check evade behavior next (CMBN & CMFB).

Looks like I was a bit early. The 4th test run yielded a bunker busting mortar round again. It was a US 60mm onboard mortar positioned to the NWN providing the lethal round. The round exploded somewhere between inner and outer pillbox geometry, so wasn´t a full interior detonation.

Edited by RockinHarry

But to the other things as well. Played my self made urban test mission and saw quite a big difference. There´s no bocage terrain in it but previously suffered from various the known evade issues, retreating from buildings unnecessarily and related foolish stuff. These things seem history now. 😎 Even green troops in really bad morale states (shaken, panicked) keep sticking to their (modular) building positions in full suppression. Same for infantry in foxholes. Not sure on all the influencing factors but all viable (to rout/evade) units still had any type of C2 to a superior HQ (Plt or Coy). So really looks like the TacAI now minds on good cover positions and decent alternatives. Using instant evade is a good indicator and most the time the evade command yields.... nothing (no quick & face waypoint set). In another case clicking instant evade on a unit in foxholes yielded a modular building just two action spots away (toward friendly map edge). In given circumstances the results seem quite realistic to me. Off course this now puts more responsibility on the player, but I´d still prefer getting my units shot to pieces in a building than having them mowed down in open streets like too oftenly before.

Other noticed effects:

Units in good cover position don´t abandon their wounded that quickly anymore. If the remnants of a beaten up unit can be kept alive long enough, at least part of the WIA or some weapons can be saved (after beaten off enemy attack or friendly units providing effective cover fires etc) .

Surrendering of units in close combat situations might occur more often now. In my test mission I´d never had any units surrendering and I played this one dozens of times. But again I prefer seeing units go into POW camps than having them slaughtered from foolish evade moves.

Attacking/Advancing AI infantry seems affected as well. When caught in the open, It takes more punishment before retreating across no cover terrain. The difference is the AI is given a couple more opportunities to shoot back before evading to better cover. AI infantry is regulars/veteran in my test mission.

So this is just some impressions on a well known mission I played countless times. Mentioned observations are the main differences to my previous play experiences. Overally I´d say MOUT battles should play very different now. How´s your experiences with V4.03?

11 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Looks more like a casualty caused by shrapnel through the firing slit, than a bunker being "busted".

could possibly the case off course. While the actual hit (+ penetrating geometry) was more on the side corner, the abstracted (enlarged) fire slit area might still allow some damaging effects. Who knows. I have a save file available, if anyone asks for it. Think I need a couple more test runs before some final conclusion. Still with just 4 test games I´d say there´s a change to the better.