Voice Commands for CM

I noticed some gaming news regarding mods for another game (that is quite, quite good, rhymes with Bannerlord) using voice commands- Naturally, I've immediately tested this with CM, and it works...amazingly well. Anything you have a shortcut for, you can create a voice command for. So one can mouse-select a unit, then you simply say "move" aloud (need a mic- not great for close quarters quarantines possibly!), and the blue line is available for placing with the mouse. No need to use the UI at all for anything with a shortcut- you just need to remember the voice command- "move" is move, for instance. I'll tell you what- those vehicle convoys that used to hurt your craw when issuing orders- Gone! Now you just sound like a lunatic, but I suspect most won't notice in these times. Have at it!

I'm going to unleash this on the Editor so I can save some clicks- window cycling, etc may be better or worse with this!

This is the software is called Voice Attack- easy to find. $10 for the full version, the trial should also allow some testing of it.

I hope it's useful.

Edited by benpark

11 hours ago, benpark said:

I'm about a trillion clicks in on this game. Any less=best.

You don't use keyboard shortcuts for the commands? If you are clicking manually in the orders list in the bottom of the screen, then yes I could imagine voice commands would make that easier.

I had long used the Natural Point control systems for IL-2 and other flight sims, which moves the camera synced with your head movements, and allows for voice commands. I tried it with CMx2 several years ago. It worked okay, but I personally didn’t find it much quicker. I also tried Voice Attack last year with a flight sim (but not CMx2) to see if it was easier or better than NP. Couldn’t get it to work at all, so glad you got it working, Ben. 

Voice commands work well in game and I'd love to see keyboard shortcut keys that could be assigned to the unit and formation report panels orbat lists: so that instead of mouse clicking on one of the team names in the list to get to that team, a radio voice command could be given which would jump to the team in question.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfk8fyssfreyxoa/Untitled.png?dl=0

26 minutes ago, 2Dog said:

Voice commands work well in game and I'd love to see keyboard shortcut keys that could be assigned to the unit and formation report panels orbat lists: so that instead of mouse clicking on one of the team names in the list to get to that team, a radio voice command could be given which would jump to the team in question.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfk8fyssfreyxoa/Untitled.png?dl=0

You are able to assign units to keys 1 through 9.  IMO it is only practical for single player and if you think you're going to have a long play session.  This is because if you close the game you have to re-assign the units all over again.  So every time you open a PBEM game or restart an ongoing game you have to reassign the keys.  I think the 1-9 keys might work with voice commands.  The VC would take you to the unit on the map like when you hit the assigned key.  But again probably only practical for a single player game when you think you've got a few hours of CM time.      

On 4/12/2020 at 8:16 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

You are able to assign units to keys 1 through 9.  IMO it is only practical for single player and if you think you're going to have a long play session.  This is because if you close the game you have to re-assign the units all over again.  So every time you open a PBEM game or restart an ongoing game you have to reassign the keys.  I think the 1-9 keys might work with voice commands.  The VC would take you to the unit on the map like when you hit the assigned key.  But again probably only practical for a single player game when you think you've got a few hours of CM time.      

Maybe in the next engine the Alt 1 through 9 keys will stick between saves, I hope so.