Thread about confirmed patch issues

Soooo....first time I launched a V 4.01 CMBN game and started my siegfried line mission. What happens in very first game turn? First US mortar round hitting a concrete pillbox penetrates and kills 6 out of 7 german guys in there. So the patch didn´t fix my main issue and instead it even got worse. Here´s save file. Check game time 20 seconds before end of turn. (file requires all modules incl. Vehicle Pack)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d70cl5yaj2toi9j/You enter Germany - Introduction - for CMBN V TST.bts?dl=0

2hqukr7.jpg

Still seeing same behaviour as 4.01  - I started a fresh Scottish corridor campaign with 4.02 and within 4 turns the German outposts are running towards my positions... (see western edge of map for behaviour)  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gta5hjdn9abpofk/The Scottish Corridor 003.bts?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mb6a5awjxpwwuhg/The Scottish Corridor 004.bts?dl=0

Edited by PIATpunk

Just downloaded and installed CMRT patch "02." Unfortunately, when I opened the last PBEM file from my opponent (his might have been "00" or "01," I forget which he sent}, the loading gets to 25% and it freezes, then I get an OUT OF MEMORY error message and the CMRT closes. That amazes me because I have 32 Gb of 3200Hz Corsair Vengeance memory. That's the same issue we were having when we updated to "01." Am I doing something wrong? This is on a stock scenario, "The Woroblin Bridgehead." Everything was working just fine up to patch "01."

Edited by Vet 0369

1 hour ago, Vet 0369 said:

Just downloaded and installed CMRT patch "02." Unfortunately, when I opened the last PBEM file from my opponent (his might have been "00" or "01," I forget which he sent}, the loading gets to 25% and it freezes, then I get an OUT OF MEMORY error message and the CMRT closes. That amazes me because I have 32 Gb of 3200Hz Corsair Vengeance memory. That's the same issue we were having when we updated to "01." Am I doing something wrong? This is on a stock scenario, "The Woroblin Bridgehead." Everything was working just fine up to patch "01."

CMRT had problems with previous patch so hard to say if this is continuation or not.  Honestly not sure why CMRT has its own specific issues with this. 

45 minutes ago, sburke said:

CMRT had problems with previous patch so hard to say if this is continuation or not.  Honestly not sure why CMRT has its own specific issues with this. 

I think its due to the TO&E changes that v4.01 introduced. Someone trying to resume a save is playing an upgraded version of the game, and the save file is trying to call on data that is no longer valid because its been changed, which probably results in the crash. Just a guess, but it makes sense in my mind. 

There should be no backwards compatibility problems with the TO&E, though theoretically it can happen.  Charles has code that checks to make sure things aren't dropped between versions.  And a good thing too, because it absolutely does happen and is caught before testers even get a whack at it.

Unfortunately save games (and PBEM is at its core a save game) sometimes don't work because of a code change.  An OME (Out of Memory Error) is a sign that something in the save file is not as the game expects and things go very badly as a result.  It is why we always suggest players finish up games in progress before patching.  This has been true since CMSF1 and will continue through until the end of time.

However, as many of you have found out over the years... save games very often work fine after a patch.  It totally depends on what code was changed and if a particular save state has a value stored in it, and used again, which the new version of the game doesn't like.  Sometimes pretty much nobody can use a save game, sometimes it is purely circumstantial.  No way to know.

Steve

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

There should be no backwards compatibility with the TO&E, though theoretically it can happen.  Charles has code that checks to make sure things aren't dropped between versions.  And a good thing too, because it absolutely does happen and is caught before testers even get a whack at it.

Unfortunately save games (and PBEM is at its core a save game) sometimes don't work because of a code change.  An OME (Out of Memory Error) is a sign that something in the save file is not as the game expects and things go very badly as a result.  It is why we always suggest players finish up games in progress before patching.  This has been true since CMSF1 and will continue through until the end of time.

However, as many of you have found out over the years... save games very often work fine after a patch.  It totally depends on what code was changed and if a particular save state has a value stored in it, and used again, which the new version of the game doesn't like.  Sometimes pretty much nobody can use a save game, sometimes it is purely circumstantial.  No way to know.

Steve

Is that beeing looked into? I´d postet this issue for about 1-2 years already and noone seems to take notice. :mellow:

Wouldn´t even say it´s a "bug" and could possibly an issue with my (vintage) computer instead. But how should I know? Thanks.

12 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

Steve is 100% correct. That said, unlike the last patch, this one is able to advance CMRT PBEM games. I know this because I am playing Peng in the exact same battle that you mentioned and yesterday I advanced it to the new patch without a problem. I don't know if you can go from "00" to "02" but if I were to bet I would bet that you couldn't. If that's what you're trying to do then you need to revert your game to "00" and finish it out before patching. 

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Steve is 100% correct. That said, unlike the last patch, this one is able to advance CMRT PBEM games. I know this because I am playing Peng in the exact same battle that you mentioned and yesterday I advanced it to the new patch without a problem. I don't know if you can go from "00" to "02" but if I were to bet I would bet that you couldn't. If that's what you're trying to do then you need to revert your game to "00" and finish it out before patching. 

Ok, I had previously tried to revert to v2.00, but couldn’t find any way in the patches. Do I need to download the “CM Red Thunder Engine 4” from the Engine 4 Big Bundle in the orders section of my account? As an additional bit of information, if it matters, we are using CMH.

Edited by Vet 0369

34 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Ok, I had previously tried to revert to v2.00, but couldn’t find any way in the patches. Do I need to download the “CM Red Thunder Engine 4” from the Engine 4 Big Bundle in the orders section of my account? As an additional bit of information, if it matters, we are using CMH.

Yes. Reinstalling the 4.0 Upgrade will revert the game back to v2.00.

4 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Yes. Reinstalling the 4.0 Upgrade will revert the game back to v2.00.

I downloaded the full CMRT installer from the Engine 4 Big Bundle (2016) from my orders page. No love. It downloads and installs Engine 4 up to and including v2.0.1, so apparently that package has already been updated to v2.0.1. I have no way to revert to v2.0.0.

17 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Is that beeing looked into? I´d postet this issue for about 1-2 years already and noone seems to take notice. :mellow:

Wouldn´t even say it´s a "bug" and could possibly an issue with my (vintage) computer instead. But how should I know? Thanks.

Anybody? Might look back in here in a year or two if that´s more appropiate. :mellow:

22 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

OK, I think the CMRT mystery might be solved. I downloaded and installed the Engine 4 full CMRT. It installed v2.0.1, so I downloaded and installed just the Patch 2.0.0 version. I wasn't able to open the PBEM save game using v2.0.1, it froze at 25%, and I got the OME message. After I installed the v2.0.0 patch, I was able to open the PBEM save file, but a very  strange thing happened. When I looked at some of my ground units, the designations had changed from Cavalry to "1st Sherman," 2nd Sherman," and so on. Somehow, the original v2.0.1 to which we upgraded some weeks ago, changed those designations even though the Soviets don't have any armor. That is probably why I was getting the OME message. Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to delete all of our 60+ saved files and start over since those units were changed to the very first PBEM file that we played. I don't think that will be worth it.

I suspect BFC might want to inspect the coding to determine what changed in v2.0.1 that would cause the units to change designation on some computers.

That is because the v2.0.0 patch does not delete "data\red thunder v201.brz". Meaning you are running a v2.0.0 game executable with a v2.0.1 strings file in "data\red thunder v201.brz". Then you get the usual mismatching strings. You need to remove "red thunder v201.brz" manually. Patches can not backdate properly in case a .brz file needs to be removed, since patches doe not remove .brz files. (I just tested this myself to be sure)

@BFC Elvis, I read in several places that you suggest that older patches can backdate to an earlier version. But I am afraid that is not generally true. For that to work patches need to delete .brz files "from the future", which of course they don't.

2 hours ago, Kevin2k said:

@BFC Elvis, I read in several places that you suggest that older patches can backdate to an earlier version. But I am afraid that is not generally true. For that to work patches need to delete .brz files "from the future", which of course they don't.

It is true....all the time. 🙂 We do this frequently while beta testing to revert the beta versions that we are running to the public versions when people explain something that they are seeing. 

12 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

It is true....all the time. 🙂 We do this frequently while beta testing to revert the beta versions that we are running to the public versions when people explain something that they are seeing. 

I tested it before I wrote my message.

Had some old install of CMRT  in E:\CM\CMRT

Started CMRT_v202_Setup.exe (178 MB total size of patch files) and point it to "E:\CM\CMRT"

Started CMRT_v200_Setup.exe (156 MB total size of patch files) and point it to "E:\CM\CMRT"

"E:\CM\CMRT\Data\red thunder v201.brz"  remains. This file is a mismatch.

Just did CMRT_v200_Setup.exe again, "red thunder v201.brz"  remains.

Let me ask differently: Can the Battlefront patches delete files, not just overwrite, but just delete? How would it decide which files are safe for deletion?

OK, since CMRT is one of the few editions not in my possession, I can not test the actual result with the dialog strings. But the case still stands. 

I just did the same test with CMBN, which I do own.

first ran "CMBN_v402_Setup.exe"

then ran "CMBN_v400_Setup.exe"

"E:\CM\CMBN\Data\normandy v401.brz" remains present. Should not be there.

Start the game: Dialog strings are all messed up.

Manually delete (or rename the extension) "E:\CM\CMBN\Data\normandy v401.brz": Everything OK again.

Edited by Kevin2k