ASL Poll

Bought all 4 SL modules, ASL and the KG Pieper modules. I even bought a 3rd party module based on the Tarawa landings and love them still. The reason I'm playing CM is that I searched TGN's listings for a computer version of SL.

I agree that CM has the potential of growing like SL did,I just hope that any future improvements in the game don't require upgrading my computer.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone gave me SL in 78 have picked up every nodule since (though haven't paltyed much in recent years. High point of my ASL career came after Desert Storm when while waiting to get retruned home played a WHOLE Red Barricades Campaign Game (CG2 IIRC), in about two weeks. Was amazing! With nothing else to do other non-players kept asking for SITREPS, AARs, got involved in IPB prior to the next battle. Was a BLAST.

Los

I started playing Squad Leader back in 1977 when it first came out (no "old age" wisecracks, I was only 12yrs old). I agree that CM comes as close to ASL/SL as I have ever seen on the computer and has even improved on it with the "wego" game turn. I'm glad to see all of the ASL/SL scenarios on the various fan sites. I've had a few posted over at Col. Klotz's site www.freebox.com/asl2cm/. Check this site out if you haven't already.

Mike

Started playing SL some time in the early 80s. Bought everything through GI, and then went off to college and didn't have people to play against. I have the COI with the vehicle counters printed 3 shades too dark-- man those are hard to read.

I've only played a few times since high school, but have dragged it around hoping I'd find new opponents for 15 years, and just dug it out a few days ago to figure out what the victory conditions were for Bucholz Station.

I play ASL FTF (Face To Face) some 2-4 times a month, and judging from the CM Demo, many hours of CM playing will be added to that. In my opinion (again only tested the Demo, HURRY UP Battlefront!!!) CM is a near perfect translation of ASL to the computer.

When I get my copy of CM I will try to replay my ASL FTF matches to see if they turn out similar, would it be of interest to this forum if I posted the results? I suppose that the live opponents compared to the CM AI mill make complete comparisons impossible, but it will also be interesting to see what the difference in tactics will be.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Private Pike:

I had thought that paper war games were long dead. Glad to see I was wrong. On the other hand, who still plays ASL when CM is available?

Another aging SL/ASL player <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

see http://www.gmtgames.com

see http://www.clashofarms.com

see http://www.avalanchepress.com

see http://www.columbiagames.com

see http://www.advancedsquadleader.com

for general information, see: http://www.consimworld.com and http://www.grognard.com

A lot of people still play boardgames, even "when CM is available". There are certain aspects of boardgaming that PC games cannot reproduce, not even CM.

I am trying desperatly to get hold of ASL in the UK but have had no luck, MMP say they are reprinting the rules in October 2000! So no luck there yet, if anyone knows where I can get hold of ASL in the UK (south) please please please let me know!

I've played ASL on and off for awhile, and was playing quite regularly (4-5 times each month) before the full version of CM arrived. As a rules set for a board game, ASL stands in a class all it's own. It's truly an amazing achievement.

Now, my ASL time has taken a serious hit. Things that have been realized in CM just won't ever be available in a board game (like full FOW, tracking trajectory of rounds thru a 3D environment, etc.).

I do miss the face-to-face banter of ASL, but plan to remedy that with a little LAN action once TCP/IP becomes available for CM.

Papa

I had SL with all the gamettes and ASL except I never really played ASL because of the sheer volume of rules, although I did incorporate some of the rules into SL. The ASL manual was a great read, though. There was so much information in it. Full marks to AH for research.

Started playing SL back in '80-81. Haven't stopped since, though I am one of the ASL converts. Don't have but a couple FTF partners in the area and nowhere in my new house is safe enough, anyway (kids, cats, dog).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

High point of my ASL career came after Desert Storm when while waiting to get retruned home played a WHOLE Red Barricades Campaign Game (CG2 IIRC), in about two weeks. Was amazing! With nothing else to do other non-players kept asking for SITREPS, AARs, got involved in IPB prior to the next battle. Was a BLAST.

Los<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought about taking my stuff, but didn't want to lose any counters! Instead, I brought Harpoon and a friend brought his mechwarrior miniatures. Funniest time was when the Bde Cdr (1st Bde, 1st ID) made an unannounced visit to our site. He actually seemed amused by the 'robots' in the sand... (our CO was not, BTW) wink.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Being a subscriber to the General, I received my copy of SL very soon after it was released (we had a good hobby shop that stocked every wargame around).

Played the dickens out of the orginal, COI and the next two modules with my brother for quite a few years. Never moved to ASL. I had moved off to computer simulations at that point.

I will say that I loved SL (especially the squad/infantry) but preferred Armor, '88', etc. for tank combat due to the simultaneous movement, detailed vehicle armor charts, AOT wheel, etc. Somewhat like Tobruk from AH (which we beat into the ground as well).

CM is the best of all those games in one, with the computer furnishing you an opponent when there is none and immersing you into the game like no board game could.

My wife just looked at me last night in disbelief, muttered something about adiction and left the room. I completed 'A Day in the Cavalry' in one sitting last night.

Luck was not on my side. Things were going well until battle number 3 when all my AFVs became immobile in the mud (and became prime targets). This stalled the operation and I could not penetrate any further into the German defenses. Even in my loss it was extremely satisfying. Better planning is needed!

I bought Squad Leader in 1990 (OK, a little late I admit!) and, after having learned the rules with a friend, we went out and bought Cross of Iron (we where both big with the Eastern Front). I played Squad Leader/Cross of Iron to death with my friend untile 1997, and we loved it, but we never felt necessary to buy other modules (I have ASL's handbook but I never played it).

What killed our games was East Front, the computer wargame by Talonsoft. We were able to connect our two computers via serial port and to play head to head in the same room - which basically gave us the opportunity to share the fun of an head-to-head game with the commodity of using the PC (no counter-hunting cats, no mapspace required etc.) EF was not, in its first incarnation, the best of games, but H2H in the same room was a blast for reasons (I belive) easly understood biggrin.gif

Now, I belive that you'll understand why we are waiting CM2 AND the TCP/IP patch so eagerly!! Can't Wait for "Red Barricades" H2H...

Vincenzo Beretta

Milan - Italy

Yup. I'm an ASL player too. CM is great, but has a long, long way to go to replace ASL - Western Europe from D-Day on is just a start. What I would *really* like to see is early-war stuff, especially North Africa, though France '40, and of course Russia, would be cool too. And there's nothing quite like crawling through the jungles of the Pacific theatre - though from the sound of it, the combination of night and snow may be close (which puzzles me a bit - ground snow INCREASES night visibility - but maybe it's just falling heavily in the situations I've heard about).

------------------

-Doug

I got ASL in 1998, and I am currently 24, so I am not your average old grognard. And actuallyit was ASL that got me interested in WW2, and not the other way around! And it was looking for ASL web-based information that I stumbled on CM. In the last 2 years I must have played more than 100 matches of ASL, but now that CM is here, havent played ASL again yet.

My ASL buddy has played some hotseat games with me, but I dont think CM can quite substitute the feel of a board game. And I too am eagerly awaiting the release of CM2....How I envy you that were able to actually play a whole Red Barricades campaign!!

Other great wargames:

World in Flames

Empire in Arms

Epée

Brazil

Since everyone posting here seems to have played SL or ASL at some point, I thought I'd just post and say that I have played NEITHER.

Obviously, I have missed something important, which I may rectify by buying ASL, but I always had problems finding people willing to play games with. I still remember trying to convince people to play Sixth Fleet with me.

"Wow, that's a BIG map. How many units are there? Maybe some other time..." After that I pretty much decided that wargaming with board games was something I'd never find anyone willing to do. Thank God for computers. So much easier. Those of you who have ASL, is it still worth buying ASL if we've already got CM?

------------------

wako

"All models are wrong - some are useful.'' - George E.P. Box

Check out my CM webpage at http://ccpirate.webjump.com

Been playing SL/ASL since 1979. Guess that would make me an orange box veteran. I've got a game of SASL set up right now on the table beside me which was the first scenario I modelled for CM. The CM AI is alot less tough opponent than the SASL opponent. You've got to crank the AI up to > 75% in favor of the computer at +3 experience to get that sinking feeling you get with SASL.

As far as buying into ASL now that CM has come out, I have mixed feelings on that. There are alot of things you can do in ASL that you can't do in CM yet(i.e. Jungle, Desert, and Amphibous Warfare), but ASL will eat up more cash unless of course you buy a new computer to play CM. Until MMP releases the 2000 rulebook, the rulebook is going to be hard to find since it has been out-of-print for awhile now. Then, there is that whole emotional thing about paying money into coffers of the company, Hasbro, that destroyed Avalon Hill, Microprose, and probably TSR which MMP licenses ASL from. ASL is also much more vunerable to common household threats like pets and kids.

The upside of getting ASL is that the operating system the ASL operates on won't go obsolete for about 30 years when its paper decays and the ink fades. That will be about the time I retire and have as much time as I want to play ASL. wink.gif On the other hand, CM's life will last as long as the current operating systems and computers last which is about 5 years. I'm sure that CM will be ported to new platforms as they appear, but you never can tell.

BTW, I loved the Fleet Series especially Seventh Fleet.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Pattison (edited 07-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jeff Pattison (edited 07-28-2000).]

Palyed it when it came out with the wargame club in college.

Best fun was randomly arranging 18 boards on a big, big table. Randomly determining which type forces you would command, and where you came on, then getting 1,500 points to spend. "Last man standing" scenarios, and a "Go for the gold" with the town in the middle (get to the middle, pick up a chit, and get it back off your side).

Great great fun.