ASL Poll

ASL started it all for me, actually. I was an avid roleplayer (D&D) in the mid-80's, and of course had seen all those boxes when visiting the local hobby store. I figured there must be something wrong with those games -- they were in a box after all, like monopoly. The one of my D&D buddies turned up one day with ASL, and we played it, and a wargamer was born.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wako,

ASL is a lot of fun, I truly love the game. But let me warn you...the rules are very complex and hard to learn. I took about 6 months to learn them, and teach them to my buddy, on my own. And I can safely say that I have never played a game making no rules mistake...and I have played more than 100 times, no exagerating. It is probably the most complex wargame out there.

Another word of caution is that it is expensive. You pay US$50 just for the rule books, and another $50 for Beyond Valor (the german and russian pieces). And there are many other modules, some slightly cheaper. ASL is also out of print, I think, you should wait for the new Hasbro edition of the rules.

If you are prepared to deal with all this, and you find somebody to play with you, it is well worth it.

On another note, if you like multiplayer wargames, I cant recommend "World in Flames" enough. I played one whle campaign, and it was the best gaming experience I ever had.

Epée

Started with Panzer Leader then moved into SL as soon as it came out..can't remember the

year. 1977 ? Bought all the modules through to GI. Moved into ASL, still play.I love the historical modules.I do miss the thousands of counters with ALL the corners clipped of course ! If only there were more hours to play....sigh.