New engine.

Usually around the holidays they give us an update on what they are working on and projects. My opinion, there a too many mods and patches that can come out with this current engine. Things like early germans vs russians side for ww2 has yet to even be made(hope they can go way back with Red Thunder to include the blitz on poland maybe as a mod ) , I think there was talk about finishing Italy as well.

Edited by user1000

Cheers user1000.

I'd have expected Steve and Charles (is Phil still on board?) to be thinking about another engine while any ad-on modules were finished off.

Nevertheless the fact we're talking about finishing off means it's either develop the Dutch pre-war ToE, go Fulda Gap or do it all but nicer in a new engine.

No noises bubbling out? Christmas bones being prematurely dropped?

Is a new engine even possible - 1 to 1 modelling of squads with no more bunching, formations, better icons, higher terrain granularity?

I guess every increase in fidelity incurs a greater increase in model complexity etc.

If we look at BFC's history, and the fact that CMx2 is about 10 years old and that developing a new engine is very time consuming and labor intensive, it seems safe to assume that development of a new CMx3 engine is well underway.  Also, BFC has been able to stay in business this long and they obviously plan ahead.

What I do find strange is the lack of communication with customers about their future plans.  Granted, they will toss out bones occasionally, but usually they are buried within non-related Threads in the forum.

More exposure, and creating buzz and interest can only help sales right?  Seems that Moon, a longtime BFC employee is no longer with the Company and ChrisND is not doing TwitchTV anymore.  ChrisND was really good at Public Relations and promoting the game.  A new website and store also, have never materialized.  So, who knows what is going on internally with BFC.

More news in an easily accessible manner, more videos and Twitchtv, more interesting Threads in the Forum can only help BFC in my humble opinion.

19 hours ago, Chops said:

What I do find strange is the lack of communication with customers about their future plans.  Granted, they will toss out bones occasionally, but usually they are buried within non-related Threads in the forum.

More exposure, and creating buzz and interest can only help sales right?  Seems that Moon, a longtime BFC employee is no longer with the Company and ChrisND is not doing TwitchTV anymore.  ChrisND was really good at Public Relations and promoting the game.  A new website and store also, have never materialized.  So, who knows what is going on internally with BFC.

If you see what happens with some sites when a company gives advance plans, and then the inevitable slips occur, I quite understand that BFC wants to have a look out of the window each morning before they say its a new day! Have you seen the flaming and hatred that outlining a concept causes?

Anyway, I like the surprises. What good does it do you to know what might happen more than say a year out? Do you have a budgeting system like a government, running 5 years ahead, or is it enough (about now) to see what Santa might like to bring in a couple of months?

On 23/10/2016 at 11:23 AM, Sailor Malan2 said:

If you see what happens with some sites when a company gives advance plans, and then the inevitable slips occur, I quite understand that BFC wants to have a look out of the window each morning before they say its a new day! Have you seen the flaming and hatred that outlining a concept causes?

Anyway, I like the surprises. What good does it do you to know what might happen more than say a year out? Do you have a budgeting system like a government, running 5 years ahead, or is it enough (about now) to see what Santa might like to bring in a couple of months?

There doesn't need to be detailed plans, just a "Yarp, new engine on the way".

Possibly they think it'd cannibalise current sales, which is fair enough.

I can't see there being a new engine anytime soon. I thought this current engine was designed with the idea it will expand and grow over time thereby taking away the need to design a whole new engine again.

Maybe when all the modules etc have been done for WW2 and the current modern game if it turns into a series all finished we may see a new engine..we will prob be on CMx2 version 10 by then:

9 hours ago, Other Means said:

Possibly they think it'd cannibalise current sales, which is fair enough.

I think that's the reason. But it probably also costs them sales to stay on the ancient and buggy engine. At least it plays an important part of why I never bought more of the games than I did, despite liking the gameplay.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:05 AM, Battlefront.com said:

Hi all!

We've just put Black Sea v1.04 patches up for download.  This one is mostly data and behavior tweaks for things which have been brought up since v1.03.  It is the last planned free patch for the first generation (Engine 3.0) Black Sea.  The next release will be Upgrade 4.0.

Steve

This was posted in the CMBS forum.  I believe the CMx2 v4 will be rolled out across most titles over time.  Other post from Steve seem to give the impression that all future modules/upgrades will be on the CMx2 v4 standard.

On 10/25/2016 at 7:01 AM, Bulletpoint said:

I think that's the reason. But it probably also costs them sales to stay on the ancient and buggy engine. At least it plays an important part of why I never bought more of the games than I did, despite liking the gameplay.

Ancient and buggy? Bit harsh don't you think? There are issues, certainly, but these mostly relate to design choices. True bugs have generally been fixed quite fast. Or are you one of those people who thinks a family car is buggy because it cant compete in F1 (or NASCAR)? Concorde was ancient and buggy!

Point me to something better and I am out of here!

1 hour ago, Sailor Malan2 said:

Ancient and buggy? Bit harsh don't you think? There are issues, certainly, but these mostly relate to design choices. True bugs have generally been fixed quite fast. Or are you one of those people who thinks a family car is buggy because it cant compete in F1 (or NASCAR)?

No, I am one of the people who thinks my car is buggy if it sinks through a bridge. While the world's shadows are flickering on and off :)

Edited by Bulletpoint

Yes I also think there is a big request for a new engine. It's been almost 10 years since CMSF released and its beginning to show. There have been some major and impressive improvements of CMX2 over the years but that doesn't take away the facts that it's just improvements on an old engine. When Battlefront went from CMX1 to 2 it was a leap forward. I would love to see that same leap soon again.

I only hope that CMX2 haven't seen TOO much investments and job effort to let go, even after that long time. Of course a new engine will be a very tall investment but its a step I think must be taken in time to a hold on to the majority of players and also attract new ones. Or this might end up up in a Catch-22.

Edited by Big Boss