New engine.

However, we should not think that a new engine magically will fix all the problems of the game overnight. Most likely it will come with a lot of teething problems of its own. But if that means we can work towards a much better eventual game, I'd be happy to live with a couple of new bugs.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Has it been confirmed they are actually working on a brand new engine?

Also I agree if it did turn out they are working on it that it would be a let down if they started with West front '44 again IF we hadn't yet had the early war East front games on the previous (the current) engine. However I'm pretty certain it will be West front D day time no matter what's come out previously.

45 minutes ago, Wodin said:

Has it been confirmed they are actually working on a brand new engine?

I don't think so. What Steve has mentioned is that they are working on the v4 version of the x2 engine. Apparently it is in a fairly advanced state and will be ready for release in a few months. If I had to guess, I'd say that an x3 engine is probably a couple years down the road still.

Michael

The current CM2 game itself is pretty good as is.

My #1 hope is that CM v3 will address the huge irritating LOS issues that players have complained about since CM2 came out. 

Also, that a more streamlined UI is created that simplifies the process of issuing commands eg: Allowing ACQUIRE from adjacent units; "one click" 180 degree arcs like we had in CM1 (for those who play with a lot of turreted AFV's which require many different covered arcs at various waypoint to cover many directions) etc...

But the thing I am trying to get you to see is that your wording invites misinterpretation. When it comes to misinterpretation on this board, Murphy's Law really prevails. Unless you really nail down all corners of a statement, you can be sure that someone will take it the wrong way and then they are off and running. Sometimes there is a whole cascade of misinterpretation and subsequent argumentation that might go on for a stream of posts when all that might have been avoided if only the original poster had been more careful and precise with his wording.

Please don't take this as picking on you or being unreasonably pedantic. You are mostly a good poster. This was just a straw that broke the camel's back and a clear example of a troublesome and widespread practice.

Michael