Mr President - I think we've found Osama Bin Laden

'Ok Tom, what have you got?'

Sir, as you know the CIA has had the lead on tracking down Osama Bin Laden since his escape from Afghanistan.  We now have intelligence that suggests he is holed up in a compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.  This is the latest imagery of the compound.'

Compound Image.jpg

'Right now Mr President, we are still developing the picture but we think that given the resources we can get Positive Identification (PID) which would then give us strike options.'

'Good work Tom, make this a priority, if you need anything just let me know and keep me updated.'

Wow, this is really interesting.  What a great idea for a scenario.  If anybody can make this work within the limitations of the game mechanics it is you.  Is CMSF a better venue for this scenario than CMBS due to the environmental / building style choices?  

Ah now that I thought about it for a few more minutes there is also the OpFor & non-combatants ..........  I guess at this point CMSF is the only way to go.

Looking forward to another great scenario.  I also predict this one will be a very popular scenario in the BFC community.     

6 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Wow, this is really interesting.  What a great idea for a scenario.  If anybody can make this work within the limitations of the game mechanics it is you.  Is CMSF a better venue for this scenario than CMBS due to the environmental / building style choices?  

Ah now that I thought about it for a few more minutes there is also the OpFor & non-combatants ..........  I guess at this point CMSF is the only way to go.

Looking forward to another great scenario.  I also predict this one will be a very popular scenario in the BFC community.     

I'll be honest it is not a scenario I would ordinarily choose to do but @borg had been harassing me to do a SOF type scenario and I thought I'd give it a spin out of curiosity.  This type of scenario does not play to CM's strengths at all but I think I can make it work sufficiently well for it to be playable.  It does mean that I have to tinker with reality though to make the scenario challenging.  My intent is to run a tutorial thread explaining how I put it together which explores these concepts that I will run once the mission is released.

5 hours ago, Combatintman said:

If running a Radio Station in Afghanistan counts then yes I used to work in 'entertainment'  ... I'm out of that game now.

Kabul Karl ................ Where the summer is hot and Afghanistan rocks ............. :D 

Unfortunately it was all less cool than that .... however I do know a lot about when Afghan women listen to the radio and what programmes interest them.  Never in a million years did I expect to be analysing that sort of stuff when I joined the Army over 30 years ago.  Anyway starting to drift OT a bit ... I'm sure there'll be some updates soon from Pakistan.

'Mr President, have multi-source intel which indicates that the suspect compound in Abbottabad is Bin Laden's hideout.  We've been collecting in detail on this compound for and the CIA have had operators in the area for a few months now.  These indicators are the strongest we have had over the long years of searching for the AQ leader and I'm here today to request permission for the military to work up some options based on the assumption that Bin Laden is at the compound'.

Sure Tom, you have my full support but we're going to need to widen the circle of knowledge, State and the Attorney General need to be in on this.

I'll get on it Sir.

'Mr President Sir, we have put this briefing packet on Osama Bin Laden together'.

'Ok Tom, give me what you've got'.

Briefing Intro.jpg

Briefing Slide 1.jpg

Briefing Slide 2.jpg

Briefing Slide 3.jpg

Briefing Slide 4.jpg

Briefing Slide 5.jpg

Briefing Slide 6.jpg

Briefing Slide 7.jpg

Briefing Questions.jpg

'Good work Tom, just one question, how quickly can we launch the SOF option?'

'Within a week Sir.'

'Ok Tom, I'll need to see the detail but my decision is COA 2.'

'We're on it Sir.'

8 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Briefing Slide 3.jpg

Interesting stuff.  I've never seen such a detailed layout of the compound.  My understanding is that he had it designed and built.  Seems kind of a strange design.  I assume the property that was purchased had an odd shape which dictated the perimeter shape of the compound.  Looks like an overhead trellis type structure in one part.  Maybe to block LOS from above?  Now I'm kind of interested to know why it was designed and laid out the way it was.  May have to read up on this.  

Also the 25 armed occupants, was this the RL number or a game abstraction to make it more playable?   LOL, sounds like they worked eight hour shifts.  So there will be about eight on duty when I blast the compound wall at O dark 30 ........... with the remainder waking up only to die suddenly ............  I see some good locations for demo charges ...... :D.        

@MOS:96B2P the 25 armed individuals is a design decision.  Basic research indicates that there were 22 or so in the compound but some were women and children.  You will see that I've had to play fast and loose with facts to make this a playable mission.  The important enduring criteria have always been - 'is this plausible' so in my view 25 armed (fiction/design decision) vs a mix of 22 armed and unarmed (fact) is not that much of a stretch.