Mr President - I think we've found Osama Bin Laden

Mr President, we've conducted rehearsals, developed the Intel and here is an initial draft briefing slide showing the detail requested.

Briefing Graphic #1.jpg

Looks good although I see the force ratio is near parity.

Sir, one US Navy SEAL is worth 30 of those guys, it won't be a problem.

Tom, that may be so but what else is out there?

Sir that will follow soon.

Ok folks - I have submitted it to the FGM for upload.  Hopefully @Bootie will come along and let you guys know when he's done his magic there.

Finally a small announcement - I need to do real Army stuff until at least the end of the year so I won't be around these forums for a while and clearly won't be cranking out any CMSF missions.  So, either make this one last or have a go yourselves in the editor.  Thanks for your support and feedback on my missions.

• 5 weeks later...

Great news - once you've played it through I will start a mission making tutorial thread showing everyone how I put  this together. I basically recorded everything I did when I designed it so it is sat on the hard drive waiting and, apart from some editing and a proofread, is good to go.

I look forward to your AAR and I hope you enjoy the mission.

Okay, the relevant chapters of "No Easy Day" have been read.  The movie Zero Dark Thirty was re-watched.  IPB was completed.  The Helos are loading up as I type.  SitReps will be sent with screenshots per SOP as the tactical situation allows.  

////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I think the "what if scenario" referred to in the designer notes may make this CMSF scenario even more interesting than the RL operation.  Having to secure and move a CIA agent and HUMINT source and secure an LZ while maneuvering on foot in the dark with a probable OpFor QRF responding should make for an interesting night out.  

After securing the compound I will have the tallest building in the AO and night vision with two M240 machineguns :D.  Some things to think about on the helo ride to Abbottabad Pakistan are the roving OpFor patrols.  Especially the patrol in the area of the VCP.  Orders are to Exfil. quietly to the LZ but I can see this patrol interfering with the Exfil.  Also the VCP patrol is near the most direct avenue of approach into the LZ for the OpFor QRF.  Might have to smoke that patrol......... so many things to think about....... Lock and Load.                   

Edited by MOS:96B2P

//////////////////////////////////// SPOILER /////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SitRep 0117 Hrs.

Neptune%20Spear1_zpstu7exo9i.jpg

GOOOOOD MORNING Abbottabad!!!!!

Neptune%20Spear2_zpsoqrduozn.jpg

"For God and country, I pass Geronimo"  "Geronimo EKIA"   - From the book "No Easy Day"

Neptune%20Spear3_zpsi5cumw7i.jpg

In-country CIA Agent and his HUMINT source. 

SitMap 0117 Hrs.

Neptune%20Spear%20SitMap%200117_zpsrzzkd

//////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER //////////////////////////////////////////////////// 

Playing in WEGO.  So far no casualties however the southern part of the compound is not yet secured.  The SitMap is not showing tentative contacts in the southern buildings of the compound however I know from the briefing OpFor are there.  I have 19 OpFor KIA so far counting Geronimo.  Still hunting for at least five more.  Also being cautious in case the intel estimate under estimated the number of OpFor in the compound (no offense;) ).  

After I have the entire compound secured I will send an ACE report. 

////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER /////////////////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mission accomplished. Total Victory.  Screenshots below.  

This was a very interesting, tense scenario.  Very fun to play.  The I think the HUMINT source and CIA agent added an interesting fun new dynamic that is seldom seen in Combat Mission scenarios.  It is also in an easily playable time frame of one hour.  I found myself wanting to play just one more turn.  If it was not for RL getting busy I probably would have completed the mission in one sitting.  

Operation%20Neptune%20Spear%20End%20Map1

I took a bit to long getting out of the compound and the Pakistani military & police showed up.  As a result a running firefight developed on the route from the compound to the LZ.  The SEALs knocked out five BRDM-2s along the Exfil route (Islamabad is not going to be happy).  If I didn't know better I would have thought that the CMSF AI had Triggers.  It was like the AI was knowingly chasing my troops across the map.  Well done. 

Operation%20Neptune%20Spear%20End%20Map2

I had two KIA in the running firefight.  Also the unfit HUMINT source was about two minutes from making the LZ when time ran out.  (Arrangements will be made to have his photo placed on a milk carton)

Operation%20Neptune%20Spear%20AAR3_zpsas

Operation%20Neptune%20Spear%20AAR2_zpsox

Operation%20Neptune%20Spear%20AAR1_zpsja

Download this.  It is a great scenario.  

@MOS:96B2P sorry it has taken me a few days to respond to your AAR - I have been having internet issues and RL is pretty intense at the moment.

I wondered how this would play out for you because it was clear from your comments dropping out of IPB and your 09 and 10 Sep posts that you weren't leaving the compound in a hurry and (although I may be wrong) that you did not send a SEAL element out to RV and provide protection for the CIA the agent and handler. This was not a COA I had really bargained on when I tested it.

I'm guessing therefore that the patrolling enemy must have given the Handler and Agent a bit of a fright and you probably wished that you had scooted from the compound earlier. I'm glad that it all worked out for you and that you enjoyed playing it.  As I think I said earlier in this thread - CMSF is not really optimised for SOF missions so I'm just pleased that I was able to create tension, enjoyment and playability.

Thanks for playing it and your comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys. Damn.. Combatintman.. i killed 'Geronimo Geronimo'... however, when the trigger came for the humint source and cia agent.. the pixxeltruppen disappeared from my screen. Is there something that i should know about ? Or perhaps i ought to download again ? I got the copy from the fewgoodmen link. I'll try again.

4 hours ago, borg said:

Hi Guys. Damn.. Combatintman.. i killed 'Geronimo Geronimo'... however, when the trigger came for the humint source and cia agent.. the pixxeltruppen disappeared from my screen. Is there something that i should know about ? Or perhaps i ought to download again ? I got the copy from the fewgoodmen link. I'll try again.

Shouldn't be anything wrong with it - @MOS:96B2Phas played it through with no dramas.  I never had any issues with the source and agent in testing.  The only thing I can think of is that that this is due to your difficulty settings which would mean that the source and agent are out of command (because they have no radio) and this is why you can't see them if you are on a high difficulty play mode.  I'd PM MOS because he's an expert on how the command settings work in game and from his AAR screenies he played it on the Iron Mode difficulty setting.