Mr President - I think we've found Osama Bin Laden

I remember a stoppage when we were first issued the SA-80, I think it was at Copehill Down, but were certainly only firing blanks regardless. Working parts were jammed forward. My first attempt to clear it saw me gashing my thumb and I still have the scar. To clear the stoppage I ended up having to put the butt on the ground with the barrel pointing skywards and stomp on the cocking handle with my foot. Not sure what the armorer would have said, but it did the trick.

P

1 hour ago, Pete Wenman said:

I remember a stoppage when we were first issued the SA-80, I think it was at Copehill Down, but were certainly only firing blanks regardless. Working parts were jammed forward. My first attempt to clear it saw me gashing my thumb and I still have the scar. To clear the stoppage I ended up having to put the butt on the ground with the barrel pointing skywards and stomp on the cocking handle with my foot. Not sure what the armorer would have said, but it did the trick.

P

That happened to me on a night shoot with the SLR on the same range ... but it was the only problem I ever had with the weapon.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:19 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER /////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mission accomplished. Total Victory.  Screenshots below.  

I had two KIA in the running firefight.  Also the unfit HUMINT source was about two minutes from making the LZ when time ran out.    

Two men killed, and you lost the intelligence asset?

My word someone will get fired for this!

Try it my way instead:

@SLIM - good vid.

Your compound entry was way different to how I tested it but I figured some people would try taking your routes.  I thought you were going to run out of ammunition when I saw your guys taking pot shots at the various security elements at distance.

Looks like the QRF didn't give you too much trouble as it appeared from the end game screen that you hadn't knocked any of their vehicles out.  I'm guessing that your tempo kept you just far enough ahead of them.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed playing it.

12 hours ago, SLIM said:

<Snip> you lost the intelligence asset?  <Snip> 

Well, now you've gone and done it.  Claiming that he was not yet at the LZ and the milk carton thing WAS just his cover story................ ;)

I wanted to Blast into the back of the compound as you did but from the IPB I falsely concluded that since the compound wall was on an angle and not flat against the side of the building I would need a second Blast to get inside the building.  It seems one Blast got you through the wall and into the building, suppressing the OpFor inside.  Very nice job.

I also noticed (I think) that you used Hunt to enter the buildings after a Blast.  I used Slow but was surprised how well Hunt seemed to work for you. Although I think your one friendly KIA came during a building entry?  

What background radio sound mod did you use?  You may like @Vein base marker mod.  It changes the red X to a blood spot and works in all CM titles. In my screenshots above (might a page back) you can see it.

Nice job and great video.        

11 hours ago, Combatintman said:

<Snip>  I thought you were going to run out of ammunition when I saw your guys taking pot shots at the various security elements at distance.  <Snip> 

///////////////////////////////// SPOILER //////////////////////////////////////////

Slim, you might find the following interesting.  During the Exfil, I was unsure about the distance that I needed to engage the OpFor.  I didn't want to start fire fights if they could be avoided.  So I used 360o Target Arcs and took a guess at their size.  After the mission I did some testing in clear conditions night combat and learned that stationary infantry with no NVG were able to detect, with a verified contact (since the AI does not shoot at tentative contacts) moving OpFor from 18 meters to 28 meters.  So, in theory, against a non equipped NVG AI if you stay more than 28 meters away and don't reveal your position by shooting they will not fire on you.  I tested this in both CMSF and CMFB.   

Combatintman, thanks for the great scenario. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

15 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Your compound entry was way different to how I tested it but I figured some people would try taking your routes.  I thought you were going to run out of ammunition when I saw your guys taking pot shots at the various security elements at distance.

Looks like the QRF didn't give you too much trouble as it appeared from the end game screen that you hadn't knocked any of their vehicles out.  I'm guessing that your tempo kept you just far enough ahead of them.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed playing it.

I almost didn't even blast my way in, until I realized I had two demo charges at my disposal. I keep forgetting the Marine loadout is different. Honestly, I had plenty of ammo. Barely used any of it. Then again, I was never decisively engaged.

Yeah, I figured running the HUMINT guy to exhaustion was a small price to pay to stay ahead of any pursuit. He can hydrate and catch his breath now that he's safely on the chopper. ;)

Definitely enjoyable. I love a little covert action from time to time.

4 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I wanted to Blast into the back of the compound as you did but from the IPB I falsely concluded that since the compound wall was on an angle and not flat against the side of the building I would need a second Blast to get inside the building.

I also noticed (I think) that you used Hunt to enter the buildings after a Blast. Although I think your one friendly KIA came during a building entry?  

What background radio sound mod did you use?  You may like @Vein base marker mod.  It changes the red X to a blood spot and works in all CM titles. In my screenshots above (might a page back) you can see it.

///////////////////////////////// SPOILER //////////////////////////////////////////

Slim, you might find the following interesting.  During the Exfil, I was unsure about the distance that I needed to engage the OpFor.  I didn't want to start fire fights if they could be avoided.  So I used 360o Target Arcs and took a guess at their size.

I actually had no idea whether or not the Blast against the angled wall would put a hole in the building or not, that was just the safest place I could see to breach the wall. The orders were to Blast the wall, then Quick into the building (hoping the bad guys would be pinned by the explosion), and luckily it all turned out okay. Every brilliant maneuver is 50% luck after all...

I never use Hunt to enter a blasted building, because any occupants won't stay Pinned for long (usually about 30 seconds), also using Hunt can lead to half your team outside the building, and half inside it if they encounter enemies while entering. I either let the Blast Command itself bring my guys inside, or I order a Quick move (so they'll stop and shoot anyone they see while entering).

My one WIA came from him being shot while running up the stairs, but my guys downstairs eliminated the threat before anyone else got hit.

The background is "Background Sounds Remixed" which is still on the Repository. The base markers came integrated with the NVG mod. Normally I use Bil's Hex Markers.

(That wasn't a Red X, it was an Orange X, the guy isn't dead, damnit! ;) )

I had 100 Meter arcs on at the beginning, but after the breach, we probably woke up the whole neighborhood, so I let my guys free-fire. Might as well stop the bad guys at maximum range.

• 6 years later...
On 7/11/2016 at 9:59 PM, Combatintman said:

I'll be honest it is not a scenario I would ordinarily choose to do but @borg had been harassing me to do a SOF type scenario and I thought I'd give it a spin out of curiosity.  This type of scenario does not play to CM's strengths at all but I think I can make it work sufficiently well for it to be playable.  It does mean that I have to tinker with reality though to make the scenario challenging.  My intent is to run a tutorial thread explaining how I put it together which explores these concepts that I will run once the mission is released.

Old but Gold :) Giving this scenario a spin in CMSF2 - it holds well right ? In the new build and engine.  Thanks all. @Combatintman @MOS:96B2P