Mr President - I think we've found Osama Bin Laden

Howdy, I did play this scenario in RT Veteran (very nicely done BTW) on my Mac and the CIA guy and agent did show up at the safehouse at the appointed time.

I got totally whacked heading to the LZ :unsure: but that's because I blew through too much ammo making sure Osama and his mama were dead, dead, dead and then ran into those pesky Pakistanis without enough heavy stuff to blow through them.

Edited by grunt_GI

• 2 months later...

Hi @Combatintman and hi @MOS:96B2P:)

After MANY weeks of radio silence on my pakistani border... i had a good go at the mission. Sorry i cannot paste any jpeg's or tiff's. Browser keeps telling me i have to upload files less than 501Kb whereas mine are around 160Kb !! I don't know why. Maybe i should swap browser? am using Mac OS (Safari).

Anyways.. the MISSION is a blast. I honestly, did it a bit with haste, for the first round.. to see what it entails. And hell yeah >:) i guess the first 10 - 15 mins are crucial. I managed to blast the target with 2 casualties, and a wounded HQ infantry man. After i believe 15mins, the trigger to get the agent and his companion crop up. By that time, i already cleared the compound (I also realised i WASTED rockets), and took position on roof tops, with the majority walking/running to the HLZ.

Some interesting facts i never knew before. It seems the CIA agent runs really well, and doesn't tire quick, is it coz he's veteran ? Whilst his companion, as a conscript, really and i mean REALLY tires much easily. 

I managed to reach the trenches, before any Uncon took position, and managed to kill off those that were approaching.

Then, Blood Hell, i noticed, how many - around 4 BMPs ? started closing in really rapidly to the original position of the compound, they managed to kill off two more of the regular troops. The original wounded guy of HQ, continued limping to the HLZ.

All in - All, i got a US Tactical Victory. played as Veteran. And i gave points away to the OPFOR since they killed my troops. I secured my objectives with haste.

I really really Enjoyed this short, but tense mission... i am a strong believer, that CM would benefit of similar missions, ESPECIALLY with the newer Engines coming out. Please @Combatintman can you every now and again, continue doing some SOF missions ?

How about British forces, SAS :P 

@borg glad you enjoyed it. Some pickups from your post ...

If you read the scenario design tutorial you will see the thinking behind various hard and soft factors for mission elements.  The HUMINT source was given a rating of 'unfit' compared to a 'fit' rating for the handler.

The vehicles in the scenario are BRDM-2s not BMPs.

WRT British Forces and SAS - yes I'd love to but while I could just about bluff using USMC as SEALs I can't pull a similar trick off with the Brit SAS due to the different weaponry involved.  However I am currently working on a 2km x 650m map of Magbeni to see if I can recreate 1 PARA's action there against the West Side Boys on 10 September 2000 which I can pull off tolerably using a temperate DPM uniform Mod which I've seen somewhere.

I think the mission should be easily doable although time and distance factors may make it challenging.

Here's the Wikipedia article to whet your appetite ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barras#Magbeni

Edited by Combatintman

<shy> sorry for mixing the BRD2 with BMP. Thanks for the clarity about my queries/encounter.

west side boys ? Coool - saw a documentary once about this particular op. It's nice to see that you visit Africa sometimes for CM purposes. Though Afghan /Pakistan remains my fav. 

Can't wait to see CMSFII in its glory engine

1 hour ago, Combatintman said:

<Snip> I am currently working on a 2km x 650m map of Magbeni to see if I can recreate 1 PARA's action there against the West Side Boys on 10 September 2000 which I can pull off tolerably using a temperate DPM uniform Mod which I've seen somewhere.  <Snip> 

Very cool!!  I think the military channel runs a documentary on this mission every once in awhile.  It would be an interesting one.   

• 1 month later...
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:57 PM, Combatintman said:

WRT British Forces and SAS - yes I'd love to but while I could just about bluff using USMC as SEALs I can't pull a similar trick off with the Brit SAS due to the different weaponry involved.  However I am currently working on a 2km x 650m map of Magbeni to see if I can recreate 1 PARA's action there against the West Side Boys on 10 September 2000 which I can pull off tolerably using a temperate DPM uniform Mod which I've seen somewhere.

I think the mission should be easily doable although time and distance factors may make it challenging.

Here's the Wikipedia article to whet your appetite ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barras#Magbeni

Now you are talking!

You can kinda simulate SAS in a campaign format by selectively using a variety of units & vehicles from a core file, deleting what you can in the scenario and then having anything superfluous that you can't delete turn up as reinforcements after the battle ends.....I've used this trick to give ISIS Humvees and the like in some CMSF stuff I'm messing with, unfortunately it only really works reliably with player controlled units.  I need to do more experimenting, but I've been seriously side-tracked by Strategic Command.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Now you are talking!

You can kinda simulate SAS in a campaign format by selectively using a variety of units & vehicles from a core file, deleting what you can in the scenario and then having anything superfluous that you can't delete turn up as reinforcements after the battle ends.....I've used this trick to give ISIS Humvees and the like in some CMSF stuff I'm messing with, unfortunately it only really works reliably with player controlled units.  I need to do more experimenting, but I've been seriously side-tracked by Strategic Command.

The problem with doing the SAS is not core units or getting rid of bits you don't need - it is the fact that the shooty bang sticks for the Brit CMSF models are wrong for the SAS of this era.  At the time the SAS were using Diemacos.  Now if a skilled modder (and I'm not even a rubbish modder) were to take the Canadians, swap the voices to Brit ones and mod the uniform skins to a UK DPM pattern then we'd be talking ....

The other problems with doing the SAS attack on Gberi Bana are the method of entry (fast roping) into an area infested with enemy and simulating the hostages.  As I've demonstrated in the Osama Bin Laden mission - you can work around some of those problems through the narrative but I'm not sure the flavour of it would be right and above all else with my 'historical' missions, I do like to at least capture the flavour of the action if I can't replicate it exactly.

The Magbeni part of Op BARRAS I can live with because, while the LMG was not issued to the Paras at the time, the assaulting company made a point of bringing heaps of GPMGs to the party so overall, with a DPM Mod (which exists at the repository) these guys look mostly right with about the same amount of firepower on hand.  This mission is pretty much done bar a few tweaks by the way but I'm looking at a couple of other projects at the moment.  Although if there is a clamour for me to release it sooner then I could be persuaded ...

We made our own AR rather too finicky for the rough & tumble of the SF business.....Embarrassing really as it's one of the few things we do rather well.  :rolleyes:

I think Combatintman strives for a higher degree of realism than I am concerned with.....If they're firing the right calibre and have a vehicle full of explody toys to acquire, I'm usually happy enough.  ;)

BTW - What settings would you use for SAS.....Elite, +2, Extreme(?)  Something like that?  I'm reluctant to use Fanatical morale for anything other than Jihadi suicide squads.  :ph34r: default_boom.gif

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

My 2 cents worth is to make all specialized troops (recon, snipers, engineers etc.) at least one experience higher than everyone else.  In the case of Elite troops, they should be Elite + everything. 

Otherwise wherever else would one use Elites with +2 attributes in a RL scenario???  (To me, Fanatic means they are "happy" to die for their cause and looking for martyrdom - not a desirable attribute for any sort of teammate IIRC.)

Fanatical is kind of tempting as an aid to the zombietruppen surviving their own lunatic close-combat tactics when they are on the assault.....It's taken me three days to get a ten minute assault to work without leaving a pile of AI controlled bodies in all the open terrain surrounding the objective (CM:A not CM:SF, but you know where I'm coming from) .  :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

We made our own AR rather too finicky for the rough & tumble of the SF business.....Embarrassing really as it's one of the few things we do rather well.  :rolleyes:

I think Combatintman strives for a higher degree of realism than I am concerned with.....If they're firing the right calibre and have a vehicle full of explody toys to acquire, I'm usually happy enough.  ;)

BTW - What settings would you use for SAS.....Elite, +2, Extreme(?)  Something like that?  I'm reluctant to use Fanatical morale for anything other than Jihadi suicide squads.  :ph34r: default_boom.gif

My thoughts on this are in the Scenario Design thread here ...

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Been trying not to look at that as I've still not played it yet.  :unsure:

Ok - troop quality would be elite and motivation would be extreme for most Special Forces that undergo a rigorous selection process and top end training programme which is how I rated the SEALs in the NEPTUNE SPEAR mission and how I would rate the SAS in any Gberi Bana mission (which as discussed I am not doing but have a pretty much finished mission for the Paras at Magbeni).

34 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Glad we are in agreement.....Rating forces for balance & playability is almost as hard as getting the damned things to do what you want them to (via the AI).  ;)

Sure - when you get round to looking at the tutorial you'll see some of my thought processes.  My approach has certainly evolved as I've spent more time designing missions and one of those evolutions has been to think about how I want the AI to perform rather than putting a blanket value like all Taliban = Fanatic.  My whole approach to the AI though is just to keep it as simple as possible if for no other reason than I find the whole process of inputting individual AI group orders into the editor a bit painful.  I think one of the most useful lessons I learnt from JonS's Oosterbeek tutorial was to adopt the mindset of having an AI enemy that is there to challenge the player rather than to necessarily win at all costs.

I'll play the scenario a bit later this evening then dive into your thread.  B)

It took me a while to come to the realisation that it's just not worth writing scripts for certain AI groups after a certain point in the battle because they either ain't gonna be there, or they will (thanks to the tactical brilliance of zombietruppen) be in no fit state for further offensive actions.  :rolleyes: 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:22 AM, Erwin said:

"...SAS were using Diemacos."

Am surprised - the Brits can't make their own decent assault rifles???

Missed this earlier - it is all about giving the enemy a fair chance;) and to be fair the latest version of the SA80 is a lot better than its predecessors.  I do prefer the M4 though, mainly because I'm old fashioned and prefer long arms with the magazine in front of the trigger assembly.

A gun that seems perfect on the workbench or at the range, can display unexpected characteristics if you jump into a drainage ditch and then try to use it.  The SA-80 (even in it's updated form) represents the UK's slightly unique approach to marksmanship, I recall seeing it referred to as a Rolls-Royce of a rifle, when what we really needed was a Jeep.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Well you intrigue me.  Can you give examples of "unexpected characteristics" or "unique approach" etc? 

I recall that Brit car engineering like Rolls was always highly touted, but only seemed to be practical if you had a personal mechanic on staff.  I had a Jag and I figured there was a 10% chance every time I drove it that I would have to fiddle with the twin Strombergs at some point.  Had to keep a toolkit in the trunk.

Examples from my personal experience are that the magazine had an unfortunate tendency to fall off, the working parts required a forward assist more often than not and I've heard anecdotes of it being prone to stoppages in sandy conditions.  If you're really interested in the subject though I'm sure if you search the topic you will come up with plenty of answers.