Stalingrad MOD: Comments Suggestions Help

Sorry to be obtuse, but just have a question about installation --

I unpacked the 4 .zip files into a single folder, "Stalingrad Mod" -- placed this is my Data\Z directory with my other mods.

My question is:  will my other mods interfere with the Stalingrad files? I have *many* mods installed -- vehicle, building reskins, "Vein's special effects," sound mods, etc. etc. Are the Stalingrad mod files specially tagged to prevent interference with my existing mods?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stalingrad Mod Team,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

I created a separate additional install of CMRT 1.03 to be a full-time Volga playground. The only mods in there will be your Stalingrad Mod download. Currently that is 4 folders from cmmodsIII.

1. But I see an issue. I think you must update the instructions (and maybe add a 5th folder to the DL) because both umlaut factory mod set and umlaut factory mod set patch (horizons) are also needed or you get some big ugly black trees and trucks (railcars). Some folks might already have them so the 5th folder would be noted as optional.

2. Also I spotted a ground rubble texture with the words "turbosquid" and little circles all over it.

That is all I have seen so far. :D

Edited by kohlenklau

And I have put together the starter missions along with testing these and the mod visual effects. With the starter missions we will get an idea how players like CM in the intense urban environment. Larger and larger battles are in the works. Campaignes are not out of the question or even a tournament. Both are a bit of an undertaking. Let's see.

Kevin

2 hours ago, sandman2575 said:

Sorry to be obtuse, but just have a question about installation --

I unpacked the 4 .zip files into a single folder, "Stalingrad Mod" -- placed this is my Data\Z directory with my other mods.

My question is:  will my other mods interfere with the Stalingrad files? I have *many* mods installed -- vehicle, building reskins, "Vein's special effects," sound mods, etc. etc. Are the Stalingrad mod files specially tagged to prevent interference with my existing mods?

I did have some issues with dragonwynn's LAST PANZER mods...primarily because he used some of the same mods Stalingrad does and they are both HUGE mod sets...so the answer to your question is "It Depends"...the Stalingrad mods do use Mod Tags, BUT just to be safe, my recommendation would be to just use the Stalingrad mods...they are a MONSTER set.

In theory they should not interfere with your other mods, but you never know....

Thanks grunt_GI.  I wonder if one solution might be to title the folder something like "ZZZZ_StalingradMod" or some such, i.e. making sure it's the last group of modifications that get loaded and hence overriding my other installed mods that may be in conflict.  (CM still follows this protocol, doesn't it -- load order of your Data\Z directory is determined alphabetically-?)  And then just deleting the folder when I want to play 'regular ol' Red Thunder' ?

24 minutes ago, sandman2575 said:

Thanks grunt_GI.  I wonder if one solution might be to title the folder something like "ZZZZ_StalingradMod" or some such, i.e. making sure it's the last group of modifications that get loaded and hence overriding my other installed mods that may be in conflict.  (CM still follows this protocol, doesn't it -- load order of your Data\Z directory is determined alphabetically-?)  And then just deleting the folder when I want to play 'regular ol' Red Thunder' ?

I don't know about that...it may make things worse...I set up a set of folders for all my CM stuff on my desktop...that way it's very easy to copy/paste/delete mods out of the game DATA folder as needed, my only KNOWN issue was the conflict between the Stalingrad and Last Panzer mod sets...I ASSUME all your other mods will be fine...I just prefer to use Stalingrad by itself to ensure there are no issues...

To clarify, the Stalingrad MOD requires umlaut's factory MOD (most recent version) which can be found at CMMODs III. Without the MOD you will not have the full effect of the urban environment. The MOD can be found about half down this page:

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?cat=29&paged=3

Many players, including the test team have umlaut's MOD installed already. Thanks to kohlenklau's fresh install we picked this up.

Kevin

Just to emphasize it is also very, very important that any Stalingrad Mod map maker have the exact same combination of FLAVOR OBJECT mods in place or odd things will lay about on the landscape for the eventual player of the scenario. Umlaut has a nice pdf in his factory mod to guide and support scenario makers.

I now have the Stalingrad Mod 4 folders (I will call SM4) PLUS umlaut's factory mod set and his patch (I will call UFMS&P) and the wooden carts I saw before adding UFMS&P are now displaying as some rusty odd items that are supposed to be derelict factory equipment.  Trees look barren of leaves and I see the railcars. So, I think I am good! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~

There are a lot of cool things in the Stalingrad building mods that Nigel artfully crafted up. But I also see some issues that I wonder if they can be fixed by Nigel.

One of the buildings with the lion statues repeats the lions for the 3rd floor but chops the lion in half. Maybe there is nothing that can be done but i just wanted to make mention.

I think this happens also for a hanging light on a chain. Maybe it is not correctable and we live with it, which I understand. 

The interiors in one building are very spooky with a stairwell you see and it has the lighting perfect to look quite convincing.

And the building with sandbagged exterior viewed windows (which i think I had specifically requested...). So, thanks for that Nigel!

A little ahead of schedule:

2 AM September 15, 1942
Stalingrad, the vital city on the Volga is in ruin. As von Paulas's forces attacked to secured the Stalingrad downtown area, they first had to occupy No. 1 Railway Station. The elite 71st Infantry Division advanced on September 15 into the teeth of the 13th Guards Division. Over the course of the day's fighting, the station would change hands several times. In the evening Chuikov personally sent 1st Company (Lt Anton Kuzmich Dragan) 1st Battalion 42nd Guards Regiment to retake Stalingrad-1.

Requires the Stalingrad MOD and umlaut's Factory MOD

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/

Edit: just to clarify, the Soviet file is meant to be played single player vs the German AI and the opposite for the German file. Play the German vs the Soviet AI.  

Edited by kevinkin

20 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

I don't know about that...it may make things worse...I set up a set of folders for all my CM stuff on my desktop...that way it's very easy to copy/paste/delete mods out of the game DATA folder as needed, my only KNOWN issue was the conflict between the Stalingrad and Last Panzer mod sets...I ASSUME all your other mods will be fine...I just prefer to use Stalingrad by itself to ensure there are no issues...

Thanks for that headsup on the mod conflict with The Last Panzer. Can you be specific as to what mods are conflicting?  I may be able to go in and change the mod tags in the campaign to fix this. I assume that some of the mods I used are tagged the same as some in the Stalingrad mod. I used alot of the Umlauts Factory Mod in the Last Panzer so not sure if that is the problem.

Michael (dragonwynn)

Nigel/umlaut/kevin, this is a superb mod and congratulations for a masterful job!

One question, though...in the Extras folder, you have Roads and Alternate Roads.  I assume one or the other is to be picked, but I notice that they are named slightly different, and am wondering if that is intended.  The alternate roads have a space between the road section number and the mod tag, whereas the "regular" roads don't.  I don't offhand recall what the rule is about spacing with regard to mod tags:

Alternate----paved road 2a [24pd]

Regular-----paved road 2a[24pd]

Thanks in advance for clarification.

Edited by mjkerner

Ok I see where some of the conflicts are. I loaded up one of the Berlin maps and saw where some of the building graffiti from Stalingrad has magically made it to Berlin. Those pesky Russians have already painted up some of the buildings in my fine city. :D To fix this probably will require me to go in and change all of the Factory Mod tags to something different for this Campaign, a rather daunting task lol. For now anyone who is playing the campaign should either move the Stalingrad mod out of the data folder or use a separate install, or just enjoy the graffiti and any other conflicts that show up lol. I may try to go in and change the tags in the campaign and post an updated mod folder when I feel spiffy enough.

For future reference I am using mod tags specific to each new campaign/scenario so hopefully this will not be a future problem.

Sorry about the mod conflicts and once again awesome job on the Stalingrad Mod guys.

Michael (dragonwynn)

3 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

There are a lot of cool things in the Stalingrad building mods that Nigel artfully crafted up. But I also see some issues that I wonder if they can be fixed by Nigel.

One of the buildings with the lion statues repeats the lions for the 3rd floor but chops the lion in half. Maybe there is nothing that can be done but i just wanted to make mention.

I think this happens also for a hanging light on a chain. Maybe it is not correctable and we live with it, which I understand.

i used a church for this but for some reason the front doesn't allow 3 separate level builds but the back does the front repeats what ever is on level 1 for level 3, I cant remember but i may be able to have a completely different front, ill check? same for light.

3 hours ago, kevinkin said:

2 AM September 15, 1942
Stalingrad, the vital city on the Volga is in ruin. As von Paulas's forces attacked to secured the Stalingrad downtown area, they first had to occupy No. 1 Railway Station. The elite 71st Infantry Division advanced on September 15 into the teeth of the 13th Guards Division. Over the course of the day's fighting, the station would change hands several times. In the evening Chuikov personally sent 1st Company (Lt Anton Kuzmich Dragan) 1st Battalion 42nd Guards Regiment to retake Stalingrad-1.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/

is this a scenario kevinkin? i can see it on your link

ignore the above just found the Railways Station1 on the scenario depot lll

Edited by para

1 hour ago, dragonwynn said:

Ok I see where some of the conflicts are. I loaded up one of the Berlin maps and saw where some of the building graffiti from Stalingrad has magically made it to Berlin. Those pesky Russians have already painted up some of the buildings in my fine city. :D To fix this probably will require me to go in and change all of the Factory Mod tags to something different for this Campaign, a rather daunting task lol. For now anyone who is playing the campaign should either move the Stalingrad mod out of the data folder or use a separate install, or just enjoy the graffiti and any other conflicts that show up lol. I may try to go in and change the tags in the campaign and post an updated mod folder when I feel spiffy enough.

For future reference I am using mod tags specific to each new campaign/scenario so hopefully this will not be a future problem.

Sorry about the mod conflicts and once again awesome job on the Stalingrad Mod guys.

Michael (dragonwynn)

I assumed (but don't know for sure) that is was Umlauts Factory mods...PLUS both of the mod sets are YUGE, so I just assumed since you both had some of the same mods they were colliding.. it wasn't a big deal for me to move Mods around as I can't do two CMRT installs on my Mac (or should I say I don't want to try)...I figure I will be playing Last Panzer OR Stalingrad...probably not both at once, ya know?

4 hours ago, kevinkin said:

2 AM September 15, 1942

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/

Just gave this a spin. Fun, intense scenario! I don't think it's a spoiler to say that, if you're playing as Wehrmacht, it really makes you rue the German infantry's relative lack of automatic weapons in '42.

The urban map is terrific. Just incredibly impressed by the hard work that went into creating this amazing mod.

Here's hoping the next scenario features a little more armor!  : )

Hello guys...this looks amazing !  I'm sure this Will be a big hit. Brilliant work done by the team. Thank you. After having played the first scenarios for a while i have a suggestion...one that have already been considdered i'm sure but...i Think it Would be a Good idea to have a Fair number of the internal Walls on the buildings toggled to the collapsed state. this will allow movement between the buildings without the use of demo charges. Having a number of walls collapsed at different floors in different buildings would also add to the rubble effects in the city imo...it may be a bit much to ask the mastermap designer to add this strait away but i think it could be a good thing for the scenariodesigners to add...these collapsed walls are one small detail i miss in these first scenarios. That has atleast been my experience so far...if they are in i appologize...again...thanks for this brilliant piece of work

Thank you for the feedback. We really need advice on game play re: movement within the buildings. It is tedious to set up but necessary to allow the player to have some freedom of movement. We tried to do this with doors. But they are tedious for the player to find for sure. The Instructions and Design notes tries to address this by advising players to visually scout out the buildings before starting. But ... maybe having many more collapsed internal walls would be easier for players to see. As the missions get larger player advice will help us all. So if any others would likewise share their initial experiences, that would be great. 

Thanks again.

Kevin 

Edited by kevinkin

The second introductory scenario can be found over at The Few Good Men.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/

It is named "Restless Night" and features an introduction to the savage beauty of Red Square. Increasing larger battles are on the way along with a master map covering the central district. Comments related to game play issues uncovered playing the intro missions will be helpful for designers. We would also like to invite any and all to help play test and work on Stalingrad creations. Just send a PM to kevinkin to express your interest.  

Kevin

This is a stellar mod, no question about it!  I have really enjoyed the scenarios that have been released so far, and am looking forward to more.  Especially a bigger map.  I am working on some of my own, but too bad the editor doesn't have a copy/paste ability! 

I have tried to open up some of the interior walls on the theater map, but I notice when doing that, all the walls on all the floors on that particular side of the building change as well.  I assume that is a limitation of modding buildings?

One limitation of the CMx2 engine as it now stands is the difficulty in telling which floor your men are on.  Not much of a problem when fighting out in the country or even smaller towns/villages, but when playing city fights with a lot of large buildings, it can be a real pain. 

Great job you guys!

Oh, almost forgot...there is a graphics problem on the rubble tiles. "TurboSquid" lettering and a logo.  I thought maybe it was caused by a mod conflict or something, but it's in the texture bmp:

Screenshot%202016-05-10%2019.08.50.png

Screenshot%202016-05-10%2016.12.41.png

Edited by mjkerner

And yes that larger map is on the way very soon. It covers the central district:

Railway Station 1; Nail Factory; Opera House; Department Store; Pavlov's House; Landing Area

Note the number of defined landmarks.

2z68osx.jpg

mjkerner brings up a good point on the nature of the buildings in such a dense city setting. It's almost as tedious as the actual battle! A maze of that only a lab rat would love. That being said, I wish there were a way to make scenario design and game play easier. For those who will design, consider allowing enough time (maybe +50%) to attain objectives. And consider at times assigning only the tactically important part of a building - not the entire structure - as the objective.  

3 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Oh, almost forgot...there is a graphics problem on the rubble tiles. "TurboSquid" lettering and a logo.  I thought maybe it was caused by a mod conflict or something, but it's in the texture bmp:

Oh yeh will sort, thanks for pointing out.