Stalingrad MOD: Comments Suggestions Help

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to the Stalingrad mod team.  I can only imagine how much work has gone into this project.

Have played a couple of the scenarios offered v the AI - always play as attacker v AI, I think the Ai does its best work in this role.

It highlights the grinding nature of city warfare and he who garners the most firepower wins.  Do the squads ever run out of ammo?!

Will be interested to see what the mission builders come up with to keep the Stalingrad challenge fresh and interesting.

Definitely need engineers in the attacker mix so that passages can be made through buildings for covered approaches, ambushes, egress avenues, etc.

Wondering if you are considering alternate maps, such as Gumrak/Pitomnik airfields.  Could offer a bit more combined arms interest.

Thanks for your considerable enthusiasm for this project. 

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, some players in general tend to play the attacker vs the AI. That's not uncommon. Defensive missions can be fun. Depends on the specific scenario. 

Squads will run out of ammo when the design is set up with low ammo and a relatively long scenario time. You can replay the introductory missions lowering the ammo loads in the editor. They will present an increasing challenge as it takes a lot of firepower to suppress enemies in buildings. Those types of battles with engineers, flamethrowers and breach teams will be coming along. Other maps are indeed interesting but I think the community might need to tackle them since the downtown and factory areas near the Volga are now the focus of the MOD.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thanks for the hard work, it must've taken ages to put this mod together. I seem to have run into a technical error, probably of my own doing but i'm not sure. The few trees and the "rail cars" show up blacked out, i.e. with no textures attached. I've removed all the mods in my Z and  mods folder minus the stalingrad mod and the issue persists. Does anybody know which folder these textures are located in? I'm thinking i may have missed them on my copy and paste job but i can't find the folder they're located in either in the install or the downloaded zip files. Thanks in advance.

Edit: This is on the railway station mission. Running windows 10(yuck) on a I7 4.3 GHZ, Nvidia Titan, 16GB of DDR3

Edited by purpheart23

Stalingrad MOD Central District Map now ready at CMMODs III.

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4269

The map is intended for designers who are itching to prepare missions using the engrossing landscape that depicts the legendary battlefield.

The beta team is working on several battles up near the factory district for release in the coming weeks. One thing. If intend to make a scenario using the map post something here. There is a chance that duplication may result if you don't. Additionally, send kevinkin a PM if you would like to join the beta team and tap into our small community of Stalingrad aficionados.

Enjoy. 

PS: the "Instructions and Design Notes version 2.0" for the entire MOD are included but also posted separately. 

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4282

20 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Don't forget the about the intro scenarios that were bundled with the MOD. If you have played them, please post any feedback when you get a chance.

Kevin

Speaking for myself...

i'm in my absolute 'off-season period' when it comes to computer gaming i'm affraid...

Summer is here finally B)...Many other things takes priority over the computer right now.

I have had a quick look at the scenarios but i have not really played them yet...My initial impression of the Stalingrad Project is that this will be the Place to go when i'm in the mode fore some urban fighting...

But except for some late night sittings during my comming holliday i will not do much wargaming for some time now....I will not be able to provide much in the way of feedback i'm afraid...

I am looking forward to what this Project will bring though....(and i will most likely try to do a scenario or two myself later on...)

Best of luck with the Project ! :)

Kevin and NPye,

Just finished "experiencing" A Night at the Opera, which saved as A Night at the Theatre under my saved games - not sure why.  I posted a screen shot in the screenshot thread from this battle.  I didn't post others as they would kind of give away parts of the battle.

I have a particular fondness for the 71st Infanterie Division, so I wanted to play this one first.

The map is excellent.  It really gives the feel of the city.  It seemed a little dark in the shadows so sometimes it was a little hard to distinguish where the buildings started, especially the ones that had their sides blown away.  No big deal.  Immersion is an important part so there should be some uncertainty for where to move as the attacker.

There is also some question, at times, on whether the troops can move from the interior of one building into the next.  If the intention is to use the demo charges to blast from one building to the next, then that will work, but it might be something you'd want to mention in the briefing.  I was trying to conserve demo charges and attempted to hunt from the first floor of one building to the first floor of the adjacent one.  Looking at the interior, there appeared to be doorways, and I didn't get the little "can't move through that wall" indicator so I thought I would be hunting through an interior door.  The troops then exited the building and hunted along the outside wall, as apparently they realized their stupid commander was trying to get them to move through a wall that didn't have a doorway.  Thus, I had unwittingly ordered them into the street where the doggone Russians took a grisly toll of my troops.:( 

After that I was happy to blow holes in walls everywhere!!! 

There was another spot where an exterior doorway was evident but my troops happily ran past it, around the building corner, and were slaughtered.  Their dying thought must have been "who is the idiot in command here?"  My first instinct was to blast into that building but because of the door, I thought I could enter from that wall.  Again, not a problem - it all adds to the craziness that was Stalingrad.  Using my imagination, I would figure that the troops found that the door was barricaded and there was no access through it.  I'm not sure there are fixes to this as there are so many buildings and you can't be sure which ones are accessible once they are modded and damaged.  If I recall, Umlaut had an X and/or posters on the outside doors of the buildings that weren't accessible.  This is not a deal-breaker.  I completely enjoyed the uncertainty factor.

The troop mix is really good.  I think it is very representative of the men and equipment that were available at that time.  I especially liked the modded StuG, and it really came in handy.

I was trying to keep my casualties down, but historically there really wasn't any way to do that.  The dead and dying lay everywhere, and most attempts to try and do buddy aid were met with the guy trying to help getting shot down as well.  This was really a brutal fight.

The AI seemed to behave very realistically, I thought.  It reacted to my attacks in a credible fashion.  

You all have done a very nice job on this.  The mod is amazing, the buildings are terrifying to try and clear, and this battle was a very hard challenge.  I managed a draw at Elite setting, and couldn't quite get to the Theatre.  I had to move quickly due to the time on the scenario, so mistakes were made, but historically, the troops were pressed for time and urged on to try and take their objectives as quickly as possible, so the time frame for the battle was correct.

I greatly enjoyed all the hard work your group has put together for this.  It was a real special event for me to battle across Stalingrad once more, this time with CMRT.  CMBB was great for the Stalingrad battles, but you still had to use a lot of your imagination.  Y'all have taken this to a really great new level. 

Thanks for all your hard work.  It shows.  :)

Heinrich505

Next: North to the Factory District
On 2 November, Hitler sent 6th Army eight engineer battalions to leverage their expertise in close quarter demolition style combat. By using WWI style storm troop tactics, he hoped the engineers would break the stalemate and capture the last bit of Stalingrad. On 5 November, Army Group South contacted 6th Army and asked if an all-out attack to clear the factory district could be mounted. von Paulus assembled his staff and a plan went up the chain. Personally approved by Hitler, another faithful attack was order, code named Operation Hubertus.

Designers and testers are welcome. The large master map looks awesome. 

Kevin

Saint Hubertus is the patron saint of metalworkers within the Church. 

Edited by kevinkin

• 1 month later...

Kevin and NPye,

I just finished playing your scenario "May We All Be Heroes."  I played it without using Alt-B to brighten things up.  I wanted to simulate the darkness and try to make it harder to see on purpose, because my men would be stumbling around in the dark and not as aware of cover as they would be in the light.

The troop mix was good.  The map is excellent, even though you won't be able to fully appreciate it in the dark. 

Tension ratcheted up as I sprinted the men across dark streets into uncertainty.  Sudden death was lurking everywhere as the men hunted through the ruins.

The scenario played out very nicely.  Time for the battle was good.  I managed a Tactical Victory playing Elite. 

It felt right, slipping through the dark streets, not knowing when you might be fired upon, and knowing you had to move or you'd run out of time or get found and overwhelmed by the enemy.

Thanks for your hard work on this mod and this scenario.  It is all appreciated.  I'll post some screenshots in the screenshot thread.

Heinrich505

Having to reinstall everything into new computer.  The Stalingrad map and Umlaut's mod were too much for the old one.  Where can I get the scenarios for this?  I tried the links to AFGM etc, but didn't see where the scenarios were listed.  Any direct links?

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I got a problem with this mod. I can't load any of the scenarios on the master map of stalingrad. The loading screen hang up. I made a scenario file with only the stalingrad central map itself, with no units, objectives etc. but it also crash. The vanilla maps load in and then I'm able to spectate the map, but with the stalingrad map it chrash also. I can spectate the map in the editor, but thats all....?

I bought the game yesterday: v2.0 / Game Engine 4 ...maybe it's the version?

Please help!

Edited by Demian

59 minutes ago, kevinkin said:

BTW, want to check if players are running the Stalingrad Mod with Engine 4? The mod was tested before it was released. Thanks for the feedback.

Kevin

Yes, I have CMRT with Eng 4 and the Stalingrad Mod installed.  It opens up my scenarios fine and I was able to open my saved game of dragonwynn's awesome Rattenkrieg campaign.