General Questions

Hello,

I purchased Combat Mission: Shock Force and am looking to buy Battle for Normandy but have a few questions.

I haven't seen anywhere to purchase the game besides on the website itself, where it is listed at no less than $90.00. Can anyone explain to me what the game entails for that amount of money? Is it just the basic version of the game or are there added items with that package?

Also, I am used to playing games like Company of Heroes and Sudden Strike, but am looking for a new true RTS. What are your thoughts on this game and its features?

Thanks in advance

Hi roflcakes.

I can't see the €90 package myself. I'm Euro region and I see a $105 bundle that is the complete Battle for Normandy package. That gives you the base game Battle for Normandy and the modules Commonwealth Forces and Market Garden. It also includes the Vehicle Pack and upgrades 2.0 and 3.0. The list of features are too long to mention - you should check out their product pages to see what each contains. Basically it's the entire Western European War from Normandy to just before the start of the Bulge.

What's it like to play? A lot like Combat Mission: Shock Force. A high fidelity tactical battle simulator that can be played in real time or WeGo with minutely researched table of organisations for all forces featured. Decent enough graphics, a good amount of player created content and an active on-line community.

Try the Combat Mission:Red Thunder demo before you buy maybe. That features the most recent engine version. 

There is no $90.00 dollar version. There is a $105.00 version which comes with Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy, Commonwealth expansion, Market Garden expansion, and 2 Engine upgrades. For 105 bucks thats not too bad. 

I used to play Company of Heroes, Men of War, Sudden Strike,and Blitzkrieg, but after I found combat Mission I havent played any of those games. You should know though Combat Mission is not best played Real Time I tried to play real time when I first got into CM it was too hard.. To get the best experiance you really should play WeGo (turn based) which is great because you can rewind the action so you dont miss anything. Spending $105.00 on a game sound like a lot but when you think about it you are actually saving like 40 bucks buying the CMBN big bundle and its really like getting three games. If its too much for you I would look into getting the CMFI bundle 

There is no $90.00 dollar version. There is a $105.00 version which comes with Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy, Commonwealth expansion, Market Garden expansion, and 2 Engine upgrades. For 105 bucks thats not too bad. 

I used to play Company of Heroes, Men of War, Sudden Strike,and Blitzkrieg, but after I found combat Mission I havent played any of those games. You should know though Combat Mission is not best played Real Time I tried to play real time when I first got into CM it was too hard.. To get the best experiance you really should play WeGo (turn based) which is great because you can rewind the action so you dont miss anything. Spending $105.00 on a game sound like a lot but when you think about it you are actually saving like 40 bucks buying the CMBN big bundle and its really like getting three games. If its too much for you I would look into getting the CMFI bundle 

So with the WeGo is that something you can change from real time to turn based in game? Like you can open a menu and change over from real time to turn based?

Also, is the multiplayer a player vs player style with predetermined unit sets?

Thanks for the replies!

So with the WeGo is that something you can change from real time to turn based in game? Like you can open a menu and change over from real time to turn based?

Thanks for the replies!

You choose WEGo or real time when you are first setting up a scenario or campaign. You can't change between them 'in game'. I play WeGo myself as I like the replays too much and like thinking through my moves. There is so much happening in sixty seconds that I'd imagine using real time in bigger battles would be intense.

Multiplayer is player vs player battle. You can play scenarios with predetermined unit sets or 'buy' your forces before a game to an agreed points total. Others could chime in here - I'm not a big multiplayer user.

It is a hefty once time price, but with the potential of hundreds or even thousands of hours of gameplay, it is really a bargain. Also a title for which there is plenty of community made scenarios, campaigns and mods to make it look its absolute best. If you're into this kind of game, I'm sure you won't regret a purchase.

It is a hefty once time price, but with the potential of hundreds or even thousands of hours of gameplay, it is really a bargain. Also a title for which there is plenty of community made scenarios, campaigns and mods to make it look its absolute best. If you're into this kind of game, I'm sure you won't regret a purchase.

you should also try the demos (they are outdated engine wise though) as these games have almost nothing in common with RTS games and really arnt RTS games but wargames like Rocketman said. Combat Mission is one of the most detailed and realistic WWII games I have played and even though the price is a bit high I will most likely buy every game they make as there is nothing else like it 

...and CMBS (Black Sea) simulates a Russian/Ukraine/US conflict in modern times.

Try the free demos. The games are improved (bugs squashed, expansions, etc.) when compared to the demos (which are limited on purpose). The learning curve is steep. Be ready to toss out rts behaviors as being inappropriate to battlefield success.

...and CMBS (Black Sea) simulates a Russian/Ukraine/US conflict in modern times.

Try the free demos. The games are improved (bugs squashed, expansions, etc.) when compared to the demos (which are limited on purpose). The learning curve is steep. Be ready to toss out rts behaviors as being inappropriate to battlefield success.

Yeah every now and then i still try to do things I would do in an RTS and it just doesnt work always ends with a burning tank or a whole squad KIA

As a new player to the entire series, not having played any previous titles and coming from the same old RTS games you mentioned, this game is a breath of fresh air.  I love CMBN, blows everything else right outta the water.  I was a bit taken back by the price when I first started looking into these games, but now that I have seen what a community they have here, and what a really niche market the general RTS market is, the price kinda fits the product. Its a niche product in a niche market, what are the chances of that lol!  I probably should have bought the package but I was chomping at the bit to get into the action, so now I have CMBN and CW, and even tho I spent a little more than I should have because I plan on buying MG too...I don't feel that bad about the price because it looks like it is going to a good company that specializes in a very specific kind of game that really isn't any where else on the market in this level of attention to detail.  There is only one other game I know of that even comes close to this level of realism/simulation and that is the Achtung panzer series, but it just doesn't seem as in depth and as user friendly and to be honest, not as interesting, because it is only the eastern front, where as with the CM series you get a lot more theaters of war, including the eastern front.  And the gameplay is better, and I have to say after installing a few mods, which was really really easy, I think this even looks better...except I am still getting used to the whole edge of the map thing.  But when you are ground level at least the horizons look cool that way, not breaking the "immersion" until you go get a birds eye view which really breaks immersion by itself. But yea, no buyers remorse here lol, in fact I would urge you to get the package deal because you will probably kick yourself when you want the modules!  

Hello,

I purchased Combat Mission: Shock Force and am looking to buy Battle for Normandy but have a few questions.

I haven't seen anywhere to purchase the game besides on the website itself, where it is listed at no less than $90.00. Can anyone explain to me what the game entails for that amount of money? Is it just the basic version of the game or are there added items with that package?

Also, I am used to playing games like Company of Heroes and Sudden Strike, but am looking for a new true RTS. What are your thoughts on this game and its features?

Thanks in advance

In CM there is no building of units, no adding to the forces you start out with.  If your one and only tank is KO'd in the first five minutes, there is no way to "build" a new one. The combat is modelled second to none. At times it will drive you nuts with how things seem to go against you all the time, but usually a change in tactics solves most problems. I would recommend trying the game out in WeGo mode first, watching the turn over and over again. This is the best way to see what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong.

I would recommend getting the big bundle. Once you start to play, you are going to want to have access to all the toys anyway! While the cost may seem steep, I am at about $0,10 an hour maximum for my game play time. I certainly did not spend the same amount of time playing Company of Heroes as I have spent playing CM.

Thanks for the replies!

The multiplayer is player vs player with each player in command of one force. If you are playing a premade scenario, you will be limited to the units already in the scenario. However you can also play a quick battle in which each player can choose their forces.  Different size and types of battles have different point values assigned to them. Each of the units is assigned a point value and the higher the quality of the unit the more it will cost. For example, an Elite Fanatic Sherman Firefly will cost twice as much as a Poor Conscript Firefly. Each player then chooses the force they want and the battle begins!

All of my multiplayer games are play by email or PBEM. This game type is the WeGo style. I prefer this style of multiplayer as I do not need to have an hour or two in a row to play a game.  With PBEM, I can play my turn when it is convenient for me, at 2 am, or while taking a 10 minute break between shovelling out the driveway at 2 in the afternoon. 

When you buy the game, send me a message and we can play a friendly match.

As a new player to the entire series, not having played any previous titles and coming from the same old RTS games you mentioned, this game is a breath of fresh air.  I love CMBN, blows everything else right outta the water.  I was a bit taken back by the price when I first started looking into these games, but now that I have seen what a community they have here, and what a really niche market the general RTS market is, the price kinda fits the product. Its a niche product in a niche market, what are the chances of that lol!  I probably should have bought the package but I was chomping at the bit to get into the action, so now I have CMBN and CW, and even tho I spent a little more than I should have because I plan on buying MG too...I don't feel that bad about the price because it looks like it is going to a good company that specializes in a very specific kind of game that really isn't any where else on the market in this level of attention to detail.  There is only one other game I know of that even comes close to this level of realism/simulation and that is the Achtung panzer series, but it just doesn't seem as in depth and as user friendly and to be honest, not as interesting, because it is only the eastern front, where as with the CM series you get a lot more theaters of war, including the eastern front.  And the gameplay is better, and I have to say after installing a few mods, which was really really easy, I think this even looks better...except I am still getting used to the whole edge of the map thing.  But when you are ground level at least the horizons look cool that way, not breaking the "immersion" until you go get a birds eye view which really breaks immersion by itself. But yea, no buyers remorse here lol, in fact I would urge you to get the package deal because you will probably kick yourself when you want the modules!  

Since you are new to the series I highly recommend you drop the money on the engine upgrades they are a must.. Also for anyone new to the series I actually recommend buying Combat Mission: Shock Force as it is only $55.00 for base game and 3 modules. Plus the Shock Force has sooo much user made content 

I believe now they come with the upgrade automatically for brand new owners...because that was a draw back for me originally before I saw they came with the game right away free of charge.  So yea, I don't even know what its like to play on the older engines except for the demos that I tried, CMFI and CMBN.  

Thanks for all the replies guys, I ended up purchasing the game Saturday night and played it quite a bit between Saturday and Sunday. It definitely has a ton of content for the money and I am happy with the purchase thus far. Just have to figure out how to get better at the game now!

The best way to get better at the game, is to take your time over it. Also, be prepared to learn from your mistakes (we all make them), study the action from as many different camera angles as you like during the Replay Phase and you will get a clearer idea of what is happening if things go wrong. And lastly, make use of the search facility in this forum. If you have a problem chances are that most of us have had the same one, and there will plenty of help here.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I ended up purchasing the game Saturday night and played it quite a bit between Saturday and Sunday. It definitely has a ton of content for the money and I am happy with the purchase thus far. Just have to figure out how to get better at the game now!

Have fun. I've been playing for more than two years now, and I'm still learning...

Yeah, the only thing I really have alot of trouble with is discovering enemy positions while maneuvering. Seems like I get shot at without any idea of the location of the enemy forces most of the time and suffer casualties before I'm able to engage. So I'm trying to do more with properly using the terrain and locating the enemy before being engaged from a distance. Reminds me of being a kid and playing with toy military figurines, only now it resembles a game of chess. Great game so far I can already foresee putting a ton of hours in.

Yeah, the only thing I really have alot of trouble with is discovering enemy positions while maneuvering. Seems like I get shot at without any idea of the location of the enemy forces most of the time and suffer casualties before I'm able to engage. So I'm trying to do more with properly using the terrain and locating the enemy before being engaged from a distance. Reminds me of being a kid and playing with toy military figurines, only now it resembles a game of chess. Great game so far I can already foresee putting a ton of hours in.

Two little tips you might try. 1. Study the map carefully during the set-up phase. Take as long as you like over it. And make sure to study it from the defender's perspective too, before planning your own route/s of attack. 2. Split off some scout teams and give them a pause every so often, it will easier for them to pick up both sound and visual contacts whilst stationary.  

Two little tips you might try. 1. Study the map carefully during the set-up phase. Take as long as you like over it. And make sure to study it from the defender's perspective too, before planning your own route/s of attack. 2. Split off some scout teams and give them a pause every so often, it will easier for them to pick up both sound and visual contacts whilst stationary.  

Thanks for the tips,

Is there somewhere I can see a legend for the different units? I know what the majority of the symbols over each unit mean, but would love to see something that explains each unit's specialty ect.

Also, when you have a commanding unit equipped with binoculars, I click the binoculars and it doesn't do anything. Do these units automatically use them?

Thanks for the tips,

Is there somewhere I can see a legend for the different units? I know what the majority of the symbols over each unit mean, but would love to see something that explains each unit's specialty ect.

Also, when you have a commanding unit equipped with binoculars, I click the binoculars and it doesn't do anything. Do these units automatically use them?

Yes units with binoculars automatically use them, in most cases the guy with the binoculars will be the squad leader and only he benefits from them. Each individual soldier's LOS is represented in game, so in a squad you may only have one or two guys out of the 8 or 12 that can see and shoot depending on his position.

The manual has iconography in it if I remember correctly.

Edited by Raptorx7

I can't really help you myself with the icons as I don't use the standard ones that come with the game. Mine are modded and I'm getting a bit vague as to what the original ones looked like. There is a little bit of info in the manual but, not a great deal. You should soon be able to pick up what they all mean.

Yeah, the only thing I really have alot of trouble with is discovering enemy positions while maneuvering.

You're moving too fast.

Yes. Optics and Radios are used automatically.

Yeah, the only thing I really have alot of trouble with is discovering enemy positions while maneuvering. Seems like I get shot at without any idea of the location of the enemy forces most of the time and suffer casualties before I'm able to engage. So I'm trying to do more with properly using the terrain and locating the enemy before being engaged from a distance.

A couple of things you might think about:

First of all, you might want to create/split off several scouting teams. Try to pick out good locations from which they can observe the parts of the map where you suspect enemy units might be hiding, but without being themselves spotted. Once that is done, let them have a turn or two to settle in. They might hear sounds or glimpse movement that would give you at least tentative contacts that you can develop further through area fire. If however nothing turns up in a reasonable amount of time, you can try dangling a bit of bait. Another scouting unit or a cheap vehicle might be exposed quickly near the end of a turn to see if it draws fire. If so, there is a good chance that the firing unit(s) will yield up positive contact markers and you can proceed from there. But for this to be a winning tactic, you need to have overwatch with units that have enough firepower to at least pin the enemy units and begin to neutralize them. Put those elements together and you can successfully advance into enemy territory while eliminating enemy units as you go.

But learning all the nuances of that method is a skill that you acquire through a certain amount of trial and error over time. Don't expect that just because you are learning to play the piano that you will be able to perform Brahms' 2nd. Concerto right off the bat.

:D

Michael

A couple of things you might think about:

First of all, you might want to create/split off several scouting teams. Try to pick out good locations from which they can observe the parts of the map where you suspect enemy units might be hiding, but without being themselves spotted. Once that is done, let them have a turn or two to settle in. They might hear sounds or glimpse movement that would give you at least tentative contacts that you can develop further through area fire. If however nothing turns up in a reasonable amount of time, you can try dangling a bit of bait. Another scouting unit or a cheap vehicle might be exposed quickly near the end of a turn to see if it draws fire. If so, there is a good chance that the firing unit(s) will yield up positive contact markers and you can proceed from there. But for this to be a winning tactic, you need to have overwatch with units that have enough firepower to at least pin the enemy units and begin to neutralize them. Put those elements together and you can successfully advance into enemy territory while eliminating enemy units as you go.

But learning all the nuances of that method is a skill that you acquire through a certain amount of trial and error over time. Don't expect that just because you are learning to play the piano that you will be able to perform Brahms' 2nd. Concerto right off the bat.

:D

Michael

Thanks for the tips man! Slowly but surely I'll get better