Do you guys think North Africa will ever come?

This might be able to hold you over until BF gets around to it:

Check out the thread. Its come a long way in just a few weeks of work. There are screenshots and a video or two and it looks fantastic. I believe it also covers Operation Compass (Italians vs Brits - If I remember the Op name correctly) which sounds like exactly what you're looking for. 

Edited by IICptMillerII

no idea, BF has been reticent about it, but they have also been known to surprise.  The driver in that would likely be more financial.  I have no idea how well the North Africa theater generally draws in this genre.  I am sure BF has a better idea.  I don't think anyone saw CMFI coming and while it may not sell as well as the other titles, I believe BF has said it has done quite well.

no idea, BF has been reticent about it, but they have also been known to surprise.  The driver in that would likely be more financial.  I have no idea how well the North Africa theater generally draws in this genre.  I am sure BF has a better idea.  I don't think anyone saw CMFI coming and while it may not sell as well as the other titles, I believe BF has said it has done quite well.

I do remember reading on here that CMFI sold better than expected, but idk if its true or not. I have been playing alot of CMFI it is hands down my favorite CM game. it is just so fresh and not many games let you play as the Italians so it is great fun (even if they kind of suck). I would just love North Africa I even went and bought CMAK hoping it would be a good substitute, but CMx1 is just too hard to get into.. 

CMAK sold less-well than CMBO and CMBB. What that says (if anything) about the commercial appeal of North Africa is debatable I'm sure.

Back in 2003 sure when the entire gaming market was flooded with ww2 titles of all varieties, but now there arnt nearly as many ww2 games out. I often see people on forums asking for North Africa and my little group of friends i play CM with all agree North Africa would be amazing on CMx2. 

CMAK was my absolute favorite of the fist series so I am hoping for a CM2x version some day. I realize it is less popular but I am hoping that once they move back in time on the eastern front they will find that they already have most of the vehicle models ready and then they can think about reusing as much as possible and consider doing it.

That is my hope, it is a long way off probably.

CMAK was my absolute favorite of the fist series so I am hoping for a CM2x version some day. I realize it is less popular but I am hoping that once they move back in time on the eastern front they will find that they already have most of the vehicle models ready and then they can think about reusing as much as possible and consider doing it.

That is my hope, it is a long way off probably.

And it is my favorite, too.  I hope that BFC will introduce North Africa 1940-42 and a module of NA and Tunisia 1943 when the Next CM Engine is introduced.  The Region offers the type of terrain that BFC used when introducing the CMx2 engine. Simple to produce compared to any other battlefield BFC offers.

Just perusing Boardgame Geek, North Africa is consistently one of the top settings for wargames. The most famous grognard game of all The Campaign for North Africa (1000 hours, 10 players) is set there. I think also that World of Tanks and War Thunder have generated a lot of interested in Early-to-Mid War tanks.

I remember going to the hobby store when I was younger and just drooling over that box that was behind the cashiers desk.  Always wanted that game just for the reading material let alone the game...  Never did pick it up.  I did have AV 'TOBRUK' though.  Love that game.  Eventually Steel Panthers came along and that was basically it for board wargaming for me.

I can't help but wonder if the reason AK did not do so well commercially was due not so much to the content as to the fact that by this time the CMx1 engine was on its last legs and never quite caught the distinct flavor of desert fighting, at least as I understand it. It had a lot of good things and some of the scenarios were fun to play, but to me the game was never fully at home in the historical and operational environment. I am convinced that if BFC were to make another run at it they would do a much better job of it now. Further, personally I believe they owe it to themselves to rehabilitate what might be called their corporate honor by doing so.

Michael

Further, personally I believe they owe it to themselves to rehabilitate what might be called their corporate honor by doing so.

Umm...just a wild guess here, but they'll end up modeling North Africa if they think it's financially viable and not because of some ridiculous notion of "corporate honor."

I'm beginning to suspect Final Blitzkrieg will be the last Family developed with the current engine (and I don't mean CMX2 3.0 vs 4.0 etc). They'll still be turning out modules for the current Families for a while- there will soon be 5 not counting Shock Force- but I think they'll be starting to develop CX3 soon and possibly rather than start with Normandy all over again and compete with their own product may either start with Tunisia and work backwards in North Africa or Ostfront '43 i.e Kursk.   Wild speculation to be sure but I think there's many advantages to developing a new Engine soon that may out weigh the cost.

I'm beginning to suspect Final Blitzkrieg will be the last Family developed with the current engine (and I don't mean CMX2 3.0 vs 4.0 etc). They'll still be turning out modules for the current Families for a while- there will soon be 5 not counting Shock Force- but I think they'll be starting to develop CX3 soon and possibly rather than start with Normandy all over again and compete with their own product may either start with Tunisia and work backwards in North Africa or Ostfront '43 i.e Kursk.   Wild speculation to be sure but I think there's many advantages to developing a new Engine soon that may out weigh the cost.

For what it is worth (not much) I am ok with that as long as they do that and not go back and redo the CMx2 titles.  I will have no interest in investing on a re-hash of the same theatres again and again.... none at this time.  Down the road sure, but hopefully after a Afrika Korps / Barbarossa (and Kursk) / France 40 family of games.

Edited by Blazing 88's

I would hope that BFC give some serious thought to how much of their investment in CMx2 they can protect going forward into CMx3. Steve has said that they might be looking at a "spine plus content" model for the x3 iteration, so the cost of entry for a particular theatre would be a lot lower, since they only have to create some basic content. The way I envision (dream? :) ) it being is a bit like a tabletop wargames system, where there's a base game "rulebook/engine" and you buy access to "armies" that you can then plug into the game engine, and you can use whatever period/theatre-appropriate assets you've got against whatever theatre/period-appropriate assets your opponent has. Subject to QB/scenario rules, obv.

...I think they'll be starting to develop CX3 soon and possibly rather than start with Normandy all over again and compete with their own product may either start with Tunisia and work backwards in North Africa or Ostfront '43 i.e Kursk.

A year or two back BFC was making noises that they were committed to doing the entire Russian Campaign in a set of families within the x2 system. I take that to mean that Kursk and related modules may show up in a year or so, but as x2 games. But of course they are always free within the usual practical and financial constraints to revise whatever plans they may have hinted at.

Michael

Michael, you're absolutely right in your recollection. My wild speculation is based on nothing more than the fact that prior to this Battlefront was turning out a new base game or module about every six months. It's now been a year since Black Sea and the slow down seems surprising to me. So that and the fact that the current engine is aging leads to my guess. I have nothing to lose by guessing so it comes easy. Should I be right however I doubt even the Beta testers would know at this point.

My wild speculation is based on nothing more than the fact that prior to this Battlefront was turning out a new base game or module about every six months. It's now been a year since Black Sea and the slow down seems surprising to me.

Was nothing at all new released during the summer? I was somewhat "incapacitated" at that point and not following developments.

...the fact that the current engine is aging...

I wouldn't dispute that for a second. It is still workable, but it seems to me getting just slightly clunky. Perhaps "feature overload", that bane of all software that survives in the marketplace, is at fault?

The thing is, as Steve has also made quite clear, that it they were to start serious work on x3, it would mean no new games for a couple of years while they concentrate on the new engine. The emergence of CMFB shows that this is not the case yet. My guess would be that work on x3 at the present time is only going forward when the programmers have a spare moment between more immediate jobs. And something Steve said recently suggests for now the work is mostly compiling a list of things they want to include or change.

Michael 

Edited by Michael Emrys

That is about the most logical post I have seen in a long time.

You are very correct in many aspects of how things are going.

At the present speed they are going, BF will be lucky to push the present series of games to their end as to modules.

They are not moving fast enough to keep generating games in the present game engine, you can already see many who are growing tired of it and that no major improvements can be done to it. So with each new release, they will lose some of the old customer base because of lack of major improvement.

So it will come down to having to get creative with a new engine and new concepts to get a new consumer base back to wanting to purchase the product.

But Selecting a early war period would also be a good move to extending the life of the older stuff also by not repeating it, so the older games stay more of a option to purchase for said time frame even if outdated.