US delivers armor to baltics

CommC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-P05uRDGPU

Same scene with the ship, now with red, white and blue commentary.

Also amusing, the translated title of this video is "On board the Freedom arrived in Riga polite black people, Abrams tanks and BMP Bradley". Polite Black Men>Polite Green Men

Major General O'Connor seemed enthusiastic about being there. He knows how to give a speech. :)

On another note, how long does it take to repaint a whole Cavalry Regiment? ;)

there are a couple panels facing up and out near the loader's hatch.

If you check the Abrams in-game you'll see its the loader's splash shield armor. I think Steve recently said that ERA may defeat HEAT but there's still pieces of exploding ERA tile and RPG warhead being sprayed about. Okay, Steve didn't use those words, but that was the gist.  ;)

Maybe we made a mistake in CMBS, maybe US armor's going to stay tan for the next decade til someone finally get around to repainting them.

Alexey K,

If lots of Russian bridging equipment starts showing up, then I reserve the right to be nervous. Getting the bridging gear, the means to operate offensively over numerous rivers in NATO's Central Region, was one of the big goals in negotiating the treaty in the first place.

danzig5,

Very droll. Just watch your phrasing. According to several accounts I've seen, instead of "Green Men," Putin's boys were called "Little Green Men." If you substitute your new terms into the phrase I just cited, it might not turn out well. Shh. Don't tell anyone. We're really looking at a Russian false flag operation. Putin had to spend some big bucks to put it altogether, he has lots, but the Army was strapped for cash, and the Defense Appropriation was late, so... Since he took a shellacking over the no national markings issue before, he's wisely decided to have them prominently, however deceivingly, displayed. Not exactly a ruse de guerre, more like ruse de coup de main!

gunnersman,

The Major General is indeed excited and enthusiastic. Dynamic, in fact. Good qualities in a leader. It's a bit odd, though I've seen it done in the States, too, for transport, to see Bradleys sans cannon. Speaking of Bradleys, what's that gimbaled thing high above the Bradley? did they knock off one of Dr. Evil's sharks to get the frickin laser from its head?

Regards,

John Kettler

Alexey K,

If lots of Russian bridging equipment starts showing up, then I reserve the right to be nervous. Getting the bridging gear, the means to operate offensively over numerous rivers in NATO's Central Region, was one of the big goals in negotiating the treaty in the first place.

danzig5,

Very droll. Just watch your phrasing. According to several accounts I've seen, instead of "Green Men," Putin's boys were called "Little Green Men." If you substitute your new terms into the phrase I just cited, it might not turn out well. Shh. Don't tell anyone. We're really looking at a Russian false flag operation. Putin had to spend some big bucks to put it altogether, he has lots, but the Army was strapped for cash, and the Defense Appropriation was late, so... Since he took a shellacking over the no national markings issue before, he's wisely decided to have them prominently, however deceivingly, displayed. Not exactly a ruse de guerre, more like ruse de coup de main!

gunnersman,

The Major General is indeed excited and enthusiastic. Dynamic, in fact. Good qualities in a leader. It's a bit odd, though I've seen it done in the States, too, for transport, to see Bradleys sans cannon. Speaking of Bradleys, what's that gimbaled thing high above the Bradley? did they knock off one of Dr. Evil's sharks to get the frickin laser from its head?

Regards,

John Kettler

Russia would need t cross the Dnieper as Alexey shoul know from the Stratfor posthe himself put up :D

Russia would need t cross the Dnieper as Alexey shoul know from the Stratfor posthe himself put up :D

In Ukraine Russia wouldn't have to cross Dnieper, it better use it as natural defence.

A lot of bridging equipment could possible be used for offensive through nothern Europe.

Unless Armata is actually a hovertank ;)

Maybe we made a mistake in CMBS, maybe US armor's going to stay tan for the next decade til someone finally get around to repainting them.

Narp.  Equipment arriving new to Korea got painted green, you could still see the tan poking through scuff marks on the M1A2 SEP v2s we had.  Stands to reason a force deploying to Europe would see the same.  The stuff in the Baltics now might be a short rotation so it won't be painted, or more practically, there's some Estonian car painting company that's about to make a lot of money once it gets cleared to use CARC.  

re: Bradleys

As already pointed it, it's the CITV.  The whole point of the BFIST is to blend in with all the other Bradleys around it (which was the same logic for the old FIST-V being built to look like an M901, it wan't obviously an artillery spotter).  

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard a radio news report, a reporter visiting both sides of the line up around Donetsk. She said the 'rebels' all were convinced that American Abrams tanks were facing them on the other side of the front line. She goes to the other side and found the loyalists were having to rely of charitable donations to buy bullets for their guns. At the risk of stating the obvious, no Abrams tanks. There's a big difference between 'delivering' armor to Baltic states and merely a drive-through to 'show the flag' to shore-up allied Baltic resolve in the wake of Merkel's recent actions.

Re: Abrams in Ukraine

I did not think anyone was so stupid or buried in propaganda to believe such things.

Re: painted over names

If the army was mum on the unit it sent I would be tempted to say it might have been OPSEC. However given the lack of secrecy more likely to me is its hardware from a prepo ship, which would have had the marks from the unit it once belonged to painted over to make it ready for a new user. Given the way these deployments go 1 ABCTs organic vehicles are still in Georgia.

I hope you meant 2017! ;) There could be cloaking devices available by 2107.

Well that would resolve the whole spotting issue in game. You'd just sit there watching an empty landscape wondering what it was you were supposed to shoot at and finally say "screw it" and fire a nuke.

Well that would resolve the whole spotting issue in game. You'd just sit there watching an empty landscape wondering what it was you were supposed to shoot at and finally say "screw it" and fire a nuke.

Nukes are so 21st Century....photon torpedos would be my choice, lets see an APS counter one of those babys.

Edited by Nidan1

Re: Abrams in Ukraine

I did not think anyone was so stupid or buried in propaganda to believe such things.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you sir; but unfortunately (as Steve has pointed out) there would be plenty of those that take these reports seriously just because it fits their agenda... much like there are those that believe that most of DNR/LNR fighters are actually Russian army "vacationers" or that Polish mercenaries make up a major part of Ukrainian federal forces in Donbas. You and I can see the fallacies in that line of thinking, but a lot of less scrupulous people would accept it as it fits their model/perception of reality.

Still, I very much commend you for pointing out these logical fallacies, so that more analytical observers of this conflict don’t get suade by these types of reports.

rces.

Edited by DreDay

If you thought that, then you must also think there is hope for Humanity's future. I commend you for your optimism!

It's less optimism and more...like there's a practical limit to what people believe overtly, like some insurgent secretly believes the last battle, they defeated the entire US 25th ID, and captured a Stryker secretly modified to look like, and perform exactly the same way as a BTR-70, but he's not so sure as to claim it out in public.  Claiming the noises I heard behind the house are actually tigers which are neither native nor have a reasonable means to appear here, and not the deer that I've seen just beyond the fence on several ocasions would be similar.  Or branching further down the route the first stop is "there's some very not-Ukrainian looking tanks out there!" followed by figuring out if it's a T-64 with bolted on armor, the Poles shipping in some Leo 2s, or by god, the 2nd Armored Division has been reformed, and will be collecting the blood of all Russian babies in Donbass to that we may awake Patton from his slumber, and set him upon all the peoples, animals, and plants of Russia, so that all may go to grease his tracks, and all that lay before Him and His Power may be laid to ruin.

much like there are those that believe that most of DNR/LNR fighters are actually Russian army "vacationers"

Or those that believe they aren't :) NATO estimates the percentage of Russians (of all types) at 80%. I am sure the number is not spot on correct, but I've not seen any evidence presented to challenge it. Just unsupported dismissals because accepting the 80% figure presents major difficulties to the notion that this is a civil war with widespread local support.

Still, I very much commend you for pointing out these logical fallacies, so that more analytical observers of this conflict don’t get suade by these types of reports.

The people who read Tinfoil Hat websites are beyond logic, unfortunately. For those types there are chemical and electrical connections within the brain that simply do not function correctly. Medication can help some, but sadly they very often are not on it for one reason or another. And no, I am not being facetious or condescending. I'm speaking about literal, diagnosable conditions which have real world implications as do a severed spine, loss of eyesight, etc.

It's less optimism and more...like there's a practical limit to what people believe overtly, like some insurgent secretly believes the last battle, they defeated the entire US 25th ID, and captured a Stryker secretly modified to look like, and perform exactly the same way as a BTR-70, but he's not so sure as to claim it out in public.  Claiming the noises I heard behind the house are actually tigers which are neither native nor have a reasonable means to appear here, and not the deer that I've seen just beyond the fence on several ocasions would be similar.  Or branching further down the route the first stop is "there's some very not-Ukrainian looking tanks out there!" followed by figuring out if it's a T-64 with bolted on armor, the Poles shipping in some Leo 2s, or by god, the 2nd Armored Division has been reformed, and will be collecting the blood of all Russian babies in Donbass to that we may awake Patton from his slumber, and set him upon all the peoples, animals, and plants of Russia, so that all may go to grease his tracks, and all that lay before Him and His Power may be laid to ruin.

I think it is both necessary and entertaining, sometimes at least, to kick these ridiculous notions to the curb. However, the more crazy the ideas are the more likely the people believing them are crazy. Arguing with a crazy person is pointless.

The reason I don't have much faith in Humanity is that far too many are easily misled. They have a view that they wish to maintain and the introduction of counter arguments are treated with hostility. And that is a species wide defect. In 2004 I had a debate with a Marine SGT who was back from OIF. He was insistent that there were WMD in Iraq, but they hadn't been found yet. A reasonable position a half a year earlier, but not at the time we were having the argument. I pointed out that even the Bush Admin, the one that made the accusations of WMD in the first place, had admitted there were no WMD. He called me a bunch of unflattering names, accusing me of being some sort of left wing liberal anti-war nutjob. So I posted a link to an official statement on the White House's website that definitively stated there were no WMD. Guess what happened next? He called me a "traitor" and said my right to free speech wasn't worth defending.

Lest anybody think that I only accuse pro-Russians of this sort of thinking :)

Steve

^^^

Okay, yes, LOL, but... from where did the chemical weapon stockpiles that ISIS overran appear? (WMD = Chemical, Nuclear, Biological. The old "ABC" is now "NBC". Is CBS feeling left out, as well as PBS?)

But, your point stands: you showed him a position he did not like so he called you a traitor. Debate over.

Or those that believe they aren't :) NATO estimates the percentage of Russians (of all types) at 80%. I am sure the number is not spot on correct, but I've not seen any evidence presented to challenge it. Just unsupported dismissals because accepting the 80% figure presents major difficulties to the notion that this is a civil war with widespread local support.

The people who read Tinfoil Hat websites are beyond logic, unfortunately. For those types there are chemical and electrical connections within the brain that simply do not function correctly. Medication can help some, but sadly they very often are not on it for one reason or another. And no, I am not being facetious or condescending. I'm speaking about literal, diagnosable conditions which have real world implications as do a severed spine, loss of eyesight, etc.

I think it is both necessary and entertaining, sometimes at least, to kick these ridiculous notions to the curb. However, the more crazy the ideas are the more likely the people believing them are crazy. Arguing with a crazy person is pointless.

C'mon Steve, do we really need to rehash the old arguments again here? You know as well as well as I do that there is absolutely no solid evidence that has been presented to back up that 80% claim. I think that you would also agree that NATO is by no means an objective third-party force in this (or any other conflict)... so do we really need to go down that path again?

Totally agree with your observations on the "tin-foil hat crowd", btw...