Evade command is actually super useful

Ryujin

This came up in another thread, but I think it deserves its own thread as it seems to not be widely known (at least I had no clue it was different from a normal fast move).

The point being after some quick tests it seems it's the "Don't Stop!" move I had been missing for a long time. Unlike a normal fast move the troops will try much harder to complete an evade move under fire. 

So if your units get pinned in the open, an evade may get them on their feet and running to cover rather than laying there to be picked off. 

But the really interesting thing is it can be used preemptively. You can use it to say run across a street with much less risk of them stopping in the middle and all being killed. You can even use it to charge an enemy if you're feeling a bit desperate/suicidal. Obviously because they won't hit the deck, they'll be very exposed standing and running. So use it wisely.

They also seem to stop to fire while carrying it out. I need to test it more, but it might work in some cases for an assault or room clearing move when you want them to keep going. Ironically, evade may be the closest thing to a proper 'assault' order...

The evade button is the 4 arrows '+' looking button next the to the 'M' button. When you press it it'll create a waypoint you can drag around. Try putting it on an enemy and watch your guys keep running under fire to see it in action. 

Should save a ton of pixeltroopers, especially in urban combat. 

EDIT: Also seems like you can change the waypoint type and it'll keep the effect. Not so sure about following waypoints after the first. 

Edited by Ryujin

The evade command is a must when dealing with "pinned" especially in urban warfare where the ability to change firing positions under fire is one of the single most important things to do! And like OP said, it is also very handy to do many other things and I do use it very often in my game play. You can also change the type of movement from fast to quick or slow etc. I originally struggled greatly with infantry in CMBN untill I realized the true potential of the evade command.

Only problem is that they take a morale hit

No ! Once again ( as I pointed out here : http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118045-one-more-newbie-question-for-now-icon-explanation/ ), that is a historical belief from CMx1 where the Withdraw command ( same effect ) DID have a morale hit.

If it has one in CMx2 titles, it is negligible.

WOW I thought this was only available in realtime. SO during playback I can hit evade and it will work?

No. That would be impossible, with the current architecture. Which playback would you use evade in? The first time through, or the fifth...?

It works in WeGo in the regard that it will get cowering, Pinned troops to move. Usually, if you give a Pinned element a move order in a WeGo orders phase, it will discard it as soon as you hit the BRB. Evade orders are obeyed more often than not. In the same way that in WeGo you can use the "Pause indefinitely" green icon during the orders phase to put a hold on the movement of whatever units you've got selected that you won't need to keep re-adding in subsequent orders phases, without clicking "Pause" ten times.

Neither is as tactically responsive in WeGo as it is in RealTime, but that is true of all orders.

Say you've set up a stretch of split-team fire-and-movement for a platoon or two of infantry, with pauses at waypoints, and Hunt sections to stop them if they get contact. Then you realise that the field your crossing is under the sights of an infantry gun or something. You don't want to delete that complicated-old set of waypoints, so you select the relevant units, give them an indefinite pause so they hold where they are until you can get some guns on the IG.

Similarly if something crops up in the middle of your movement, you can stop the movers right where they are to return fire if you want, using the indefinite pause button. Yes, you can do the same with the Pause order, but that takes 10 clicks rather than one.

Also, the indefinite pause button will cancel any "Pause" order that is at the current unit's location (which is how you set your "held" units back in motion), which again saves 9 clicks if you want the element to get on with things now rather than wait out the last 3 seconds of their counting-down pause. Saves you a click even if there's more than 90s left on the pause countdown. Definitely an interface convenience rather than a variant way of issuing orders like Evade is.

I want to hear what the indefinite pause is good for.??? :huh:

As womble stated it can be used to hold up a movement for an unspecified time to be resumed when you want without having to re plot moves that already may been given.

Where it is VERY useful is when you play real time. SO useful that i created a hot key for it. Using it allows one to issue commands in a more WEGO fashion where you can take a moment to think, and check out moves BEFORE the unit starts moving. I give the order FIRST, then plot moves, check LOS ect.. then when I am happy I release the pause and the unit starts the move. It is also VERY useful it coordinating attacks. Example: Give a platoon an Indefinite pause, then issue orders to each sqaud, then release the pause and they all move out at once just like hitting "go" in replay. Issuing the pause first kind of replicates putting the unit in "command" phase of a WEGO game temporarily.

If you play real time, and are not doing this you are not taking advantage of how to make smarter moves.

Not for me :D.

I programmed a macro in my  Nostomo Speedpad. That is how I made my hotkey for indefinite pause.

Hmmm. Jealous. Wants one. Perhaps I should make use of my G-keys on my keyboard for similar. I could macro 15s pause steps to 3 of them and a 10-click step to a fourth. This would be useful for waypoints other than the unit's current location... Thanks Vinnart, for the idea.