New Installer Package (ATTN: MOON)

Also: if I read the annoucement correctly, the new installer's are only available to those who have bought bundles in the past.

Can those of us who bought the games/modules individually download the new clean installers as well?

Basically to make it easier to reinstall the game and modules from scratch. I just bought CW and MG for CMBN and had to go through the process of installing CMBN right from scratch. A one time installer that installs everything is very handy.

True, but as of now it appears that it won't do any good for those of us who bought the games/modules individually.

:(

Michael

For those who bought the games/modules individually, what we really need is a single, definitive, *official* sticky thread that gives a step by step "for dummies" install order, running from the base game through whatever the latest version might be. And it needs to be kept up to date.

Because if I ever have to reinstall CMBN or CMFI from the beginning, the real frustration is trying to be sure I've got every file and install each one in the proper order. The other frustration is the time it takes to do all that, but I can accept that as long as there's a good guide that walks me through it so I don't end up having to do the process several times to get it right.

(Maybe there already is one and I just don't know where it is. If so, please forgive me.)

It would be very helpful to have the "one disk to install and get up to date". We all have to get new machines eventually, and I dread having to install half a dozen families of CM2 games with all the upgrades and patches that each now has in exactly the right order or you have to install it all again.

What do you think of BF selling an updated disk (at a nominal price) to those of use who already have the games and modules?

Actually, even a download of the latest version with all upgrades and patches in place would be much appreciated.

a download of the latest version with all upgrades and patches in place would be much appreciated.

This would be great. I currently dread when I will someday have to replace my computer. It will probably be a good year or two yet. It is hard to imagine all the additional upgrades and patches that will be added to the current ones in two years time. Maybe I can hold out on a new computer for three years......

I have had in the past to fight with the install of CMBN base game, its patches and the Brits when they came and its final patches.

The same happened to me with CMSF, Marines, Brits and Nato, when I had to reinstall all of these. BTW thanks a lot to the BF supports, they really helped me, that is not written very often.

If you don't follow closely the patches (upgrades if available) order you are doomed for a failure. Having had a few, I wrote everything down (after having had BF supports) and I relied on it when I changed my gear.

I must confess that it is not that easy to understand how to install all of these. No problem for a single game.

So the idea of BF is not bad at all, its easy and quick, but the price might be a deterrent for some of us, who knows ?

That may be a help for the Mac crowd: I've so far always had success by just copying over the complete app from old machine to new machine. That may trigger registration but apart from that no problems.

I've never had to reinstall any of the CM games.

YMMV

It would be very helpful to have the "one disk to install and get up to date". We all have to get new machines eventually, and I dread having to install half a dozen families of CM2 games with all the upgrades and patches that each now has in exactly the right order or you have to install it all again.

What do you think of BF selling an updated disk (at a nominal price) to those of use who already have the games and modules?

Actually, even a download of the latest version with all upgrades and patches in place would be much appreciated.

One disc to rule them all?

For those who bought the games/modules individually, what we really need is a single, definitive, *official* sticky thread that gives a step by step "for dummies" install order, running from the base game through whatever the latest version might be. And it needs to be kept up to date.

Because if I ever have to reinstall CMBN or CMFI from the beginning, the real frustration is trying to be sure I've got every file and install each one in the proper order. The other frustration is the time it takes to do all that, but I can accept that as long as there's a good guide that walks me through it so I don't end up having to do the process several times to get it right.

(Maybe there already is one and I just don't know where it is. If so, please forgive me.)

You're forgiven. These instructions are in the game manual, as well as in our Helpdesk Knowledgebase. For example, here is a link to the CMBN article:

http://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/help/article/127908

Enter "reinstall" or similar at http://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com and you'll get a bunch of hits.

Also: if I read the annoucement correctly, the new installer's are only available to those who have bought bundles in the past.

Can those of us who bought the games/modules individually download the new clean installers as well?

You read correctly. The new installers are available for those who purchased one of the two bundle options (or are going to).

Unfortunately, it's not possible to "merge" all of your previous purchases into one :( At least not automatically. And doing it manually for many thousands of customers is simply not realistic :(

Believe me, we'd love to be able to do it. It's us that have to deal with failed reinstalls in support. It's not something that comes up daily, but when it does, it's often fairly difficult to diagnose remotely without a lot of back and forth. A one-click installer simplifies this greatly. While you don't need a rocket science degree to do it if you have multiple installers, you barely need to be able to read to do it with the one installer package :)

We are working on a new installer/modules system at the moment for the future releases which will remove this issue, and will allow us to offer the most up to date installers for everyone. But I doubt this will happen for the existing titles, unfortunately.

Martin

PS. The best we could offer realistically is a discount to purchase one of the bundles to those that have all of the titles. But it couldn't be free, as we have costs on our end to deliver those, not to speak about the manual labor needed to verify the purchases. 50% off at best. Sound off here if you want that, and I'll talk to Steve about it.

You read correctly. The new installers are available for those who purchased one of the two bundle options (or are going to).

Unfortunately, it's not possible to "merge" all of your previous purchases into one :( At least not automatically. And doing it manually for many thousands of customers is simply not realistic :(

Martin

PS. The best we could offer realistically is a discount to purchase one of the bundles to those that have all of the titles. But it couldn't be free, as we have costs on our end to deliver those, not to speak about the manual labor needed to verify the purchases. 50% off at best. Sound off here if you want that, and I'll talk to Steve about it.

Thanks for the clarity.

As for purchasing the new installer? Not for me. I love BFC and I can't wait to give you more of my money, but buying a new installer would feel more like a donation than a purchase of value to me. Others may feel different though.

This is what I had suspected and no hard feelings. I'm sure that if it were possible to make available to all customers, BFC would surely do that.

We are working on a new installer/modules system at the moment for the future releases which will remove this issue, and will allow us to offer the most up to date installers for everyone.

This is the good news. :)

But I doubt this will happen for the existing titles, unfortunately.

I might well be tempted to go this route. I've had to reinstall the BN family two or three times and it is a real PITA. This last time around I finally just gave up and haven't played the game since last fall. I really miss it too. :(

Michael

I have built a new machine and just reinstalled CMSF. Real simple- as Moon suggested I went to the BF support page and found the instructions in under 2 minutes.

I now have it in a text file in a folder I keep for all CM related stuff. Went perfectly smooth. It is easier than it appears if you have all the patches downloaded first and ready to go. It is even easier if you have downloaded the installers rather than discs. This is one thing I have started to do now that I didn't prior. I stick to downloaded installers. Reinstalling just goes that much faster. This comes from someone who has reinstalled CMBN more than probably a good portion of the forum posters combined- yeah beta testing is very very glamorous.

A one step load em all installer would definitely be nice, but would I pay for one? No not likely. I'll save that money for CMSF 2 when it comes out.

Per the support portal:

Here is the correct way to reinstall CMSF and its modules (as of patch v. 1.32):

Install CMSF, do NOT license it if it is a Battlefront version.

Install the v. 1.10 patch for your distribution (Battlefront or Paradox). This step is sometimes not needed if you have the Marines module, but bundles that include the Marines module may not have all of the necessary files that are part of the v. 1.10 patch.

If you have the Marines module, install it now.

If you have the Marines module, launch CMSF and use the Marines license key to activate (this activates both CMSF and the Marines module).

If you have the British Forces module, install it now.

If you have the British Forces module, launch CMSF and use the British Forces license key to activate it now.

Install the v. 1.21 patch. Make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have. Making an incorrect selection will result in modules disappearing or license key requests for modules you do not have. If you run into this problem reinstall the v. 1.21 patch again and make the correct selections. You must install the v. 1.21 patch BEFORE installing the NATO module.

If you have the NATO module, install it now.

If you have the NATO module, launch CMSF and use the NATO license key to activate it now.

Install the v. 1.31 patch. Make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have. Making an incorrect selection will result in modules disappearing or license key requests for modules you do not have. If you run into this problem reinstall the v. 1.31 patch again and make the correct selections.

Install the v. 1.32 patch. Make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have. Making an incorrect selection will result in modules disappearing or license key requests for modules you do not have. If you run into this problem reinstall the v. 1.32 patch again and make the correct selections.

This is actually more involved than any of the newer CMx2 titles. It really isn't that hard, you just need to visit the support portal. It is probably the single most underutilized service BF provides.

Good news for the bundle purchasers and new customers.

It really isn't that big of a deal to reinstall everything the "hard" way, however. I had to a few months ago due to a SSD crash, and I made a "cheat sheet" for myself. Here is the CMBN one:

Install order:

(1) CMBN

(2) Commonwealth Module

(3) V 1.11 Patch

(4) CMBN 2.0 Upgrade

(5) Market Garden Module

(6) V 2.12 Patch

I assume step 7 will be the 3.0 Upgrade, when it is released.

I keep all the exe files backed up on Dropbox, so reinstalling only took me perhaps 15 minutes.

Edit: And you only have to enter the most recent license key, not all of them.