Pause 00:01

womble

What's the point of this "automatic" Pause order that's applied to a unit if you adjust its first waypoint? It can't be to represent mandatory thinking time required to change destination (and if it was, it would be incredibly clumsy to stop a unit, and have it restart; it's not like an officer can't change his mind without stopping) because it's cancellable, so not mandatory.

Please can it be removed? It's just another micromanagement fag. Sure, a 1s pause isn't much to look at, but when you're talking about an infantry element that has to wait for its stragglers before it starts again, it could be a unit killer, so it has to be de-Paused to avoid excessive impact.

Similarly, the cancelling of previous Pause orders when a waypoint is adjusted is just irritating.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto...drives me nuts when they do that as incoming rounds are plunking around. It appears someone dropped the keys to something as 3 guys run back and forth across the ground looking for them. Most of the time they never find those damn keys because they all get shot.

Agreed, it's very annoying behavior. I just had that happen to me playing the Catch a Tiger scenario in CMFI, and of course it had to happen as I was trying to get my men across terrain as fast as possible that was covered by an MG34 team. :mad:

Ditto...drives me nuts when they do that as incoming rounds are plunking around. It appears someone dropped the keys to something as 3 guys run back and forth across the ground looking for them. Most of the time they never find those damn keys because they all get shot.

That's called "The Dance of Death". If you think it's bad now, it was totally insane in CMx1. Alternately, if it was happening to the other side, it was hilarious.

Michael

Something I would be much more interested in seeing removed is the tendency for men in units that have their current waypoint adjusted while moving will turn around and run back the way they came for a short distance.

Agree - it looks to me like when you adjust the waypoint, the system wants them to "start" from the AS the last man is in, so those beyond that AS run back to it.

Worst with heavy weapons teams where the guy with the weight can lag really far behind :(

That's called "The Dance of Death". If you think it's bad now, it was totally insane in CMx1. Alternately, if it was happening to the other side, it was hilarious.

Michael

I think the dance of death was different. In CMx1 the DoD was caused by being shot at and the AI not knowing what to do.

I think this CMx2 problem is some sort of action square reset touch which causes the AI to double back for a few meters.

I think the dance of death was different. In CMx1 the DoD was caused by being shot at and the AI not knowing what to do.

Heh. That version's definitely been brought forward into the x2 engine... If it wasn't so deadly, it'd be comical when broken troops run from unseen pillar to invisible post on open ground in front of half a dozen teams and a tank, getting shot one at a time instead of just recpgnising that they're clearly defeated and need to surrender.

I think this CMx2 problem is some sort of action square reset touch which causes the AI to double back for a few meters.

Or more than a few sometimes. When you break an AI unit, sometimes, the individual pTruppen break at different times, and cower for different times meaning that by the time the last guy has the chance to run away, the first guy to run has rallied and comes running back to the place he's just been shot out of...

Is this planned to be fixed in 3.0? If not, I wonder why the developers are ignoring it?

I haven’t seen it mentioned, and so close to release I wouldn’t count on it unless it wasn’t on the list already. I can’t remember seeing it being raised here on the forum before.

I just recently started to use this feature (playing CMx2 since the beginning has had me used to not being able to do it – so I just replotted). It’s very handy but I haven’t seen any problems yet, but as mentioned I haven’t used it very much yet and usually use split teams which will mitigate any strange behavior.

One thing’s for sure, the developer is not ignoring this or anything else. I’m sure they will look at it as soon as time permits.

... If not, I wonder why the developers are ignoring it?

Presumably other things are much more whined for/about :D

I've noticed the behaviour in my own games occasionally, but it hasn't made me rage as much as .. ahem ... other things ;)

This is the first ( or nearly first ) time I've seen it mentioned on the forums.

There was also the crawl of death, in CM1, where the AI would crawl towards the nearest cover, even if that place was the location of the shooting

The DoD was highly amusing/un-amusing when coupled with borg spotting. Often a poor squad would run hither and thither, as a veritable fire storm was directed at them.

There was also the crawl of death, in CM1, where the AI would crawl towards the nearest cover, even if that place was the location of the shooting

The DoD was highly amusing/un-amusing when coupled with borg spotting. Often a poor squad would run hither and thither, as a veritable fire storm was directed at them.

Now this I remember in CM1...the running not so much although I did enjoy the forward moving moonwalking :P My biggest gripe is actually building entry when they tend to cluster at the door and then play roshambo about what order they plan to go in. Once again only frustrating when they are already getting shot at as the rest of the time it's just funny. It has gotten to the point that I do plan my tactics around it however to try and prevent that situation from occurring.

I do hope it is on their bucket list as more than anything else it is an immersion killer for me.

I noticed the pause some time ago. Since it bothered me I simply went to the commands and canceled it. No more 1 second pause.

Sometimes the solution is the simplest.

Jyri

Well, duh. It's just an unnecessary action to have to take every time the pause gets added. And if that 1s pause has cancelled your pre-existing longer pause, you have to reestablish that command as well. Waste of time and cycles on microswitches, and liable to frag your orders up.

Well, duh. It's just an unnecessary action to have to take every time the pause gets added. And if that 1s pause has cancelled your pre-existing longer pause, you have to reestablish that command as well. Waste of time and cycles on microswitches, and liable to frag your orders up.

How is that different? I mean, to cancel the 1s, you have to click on the pause button, at least that's what I do. One click replaces the 1s with a 5s and so on up to whatever length you want. Granted it's an annoyance that I won't even try to justify, but is incredibly minor IMO. We're really down to picking nits here.

Michael

If your plan was dependent on getting timing down to the second, you probably didn't have a very good plan.

So it's okay that making a small adjustment to a path can mean that a pause at the beginning to lay down fire is negated? It's okay that bounding overwatch can be thoroughly foobared by this? I'll just stop putting delays on alternate teams starts so they all move and stop at the same time?

And we're not talking necessarily about a single second delay, either, as has been pointed out.

How is that different? I mean, to cancel the 1s, you have to click on the pause button, at least that's what I do. One click replaces the 1s with a 5s and so on up to whatever length you want. Granted it's an annoyance that I won't even try to justify, but is incredibly minor IMO. We're really down to picking nits here.

Michael

First you have to remember that there was a pause... and then it's just a crappy embuggerance to add to all the other crappy embuggerances. At least the other ones are there for engine reasons and serve a purpose somewhere.

And if that 1s pause has cancelled your pre-existing longer pause, you have to reestablish that command as well. Waste of time and cycles on microswitches, and liable to frag your orders up.

That is the part that I *do* find annoying. The canceling of an existing pause is the part that causes surprises and the reason it would be nice to see this fixed.

If your plan was dependent on getting timing down to the second, you probably didn't have a very good plan.

Well sure but most of the times this bites me it is not a question of trying to time things to the second. It is simply a case of I want my Platoon HQ to lag behind the rest of the men so he gets a longer pause. Then due to this bug oops suddenly my HQ is leading the way.

The trouble is that it's a feature that shouldn't even be there. What purpose, exactly, is that 1-second pause supposed to serve?

What purpose, exactly, is that 1-second pause supposed to serve?

Guess:

Wego is frozen RT. So the unit has already a move order and now you change their goal by moving the waypoint. Since time is stopped while you give orders CM can not process this new order immediately. This will be done during the next 'tick' of time. To bridge this gap CM inserts this 1 second pause to be able to set the new course for the unit.

Or:

There is always a delay when you give a new order. Moving a waypoint is not a new order so you would gain an advantage by constantly moving a waypoint instead of giving new orders.

TL;DR: technical reasons or anti-cheat