How close are we, Steve?

YankeeDog is correct (for the most part) about why we chose Summer 1944 to be the first Eastern Front game. The best way to get games out to you guys sooner is to have each successive game leverage existing content and then add more content to the mix. Works a lot better than having to make all new content all at once. When we make Summer 1943 (the second Eastern Front Family) we'll have a decent amount of both German and Soviet stuff to work with before we start adding all the earlier stuff that isn't in the game yet.

The other reason is we're hoping to hook a few more non-Eastern Front grogs with Bagration than we would with something earlier. Familiarity helps people "get into" something. The German forces are familiar to anybody who has played CMBN and CMFI/Gustav Line, which means the non-Eastern Front player only has to figure out the Soviet stuff instead of everything.

That and non-Eastern Front gamers are probably more likely to buy a game with King Tigers in it than one that doesn't :D

Steve

Being a genuine non-Eastern Front grog.. I am on the line.

So when do I get hooked :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 4.0 features will draw a lot of you non-Eastern Front folks in. There's a good bit of unannounced features coming, very tasty stuff. ;)

Whirl.. spin... revolve... swirl.. twirl, turn.. tug for more... sounds of the BF casting net hauling in a 4.0 non-Eastern Front grog catch :D

Well, it wouldn't be a positive for the bottom line. If it were a positive they already would've done it.

Oh man. No, they have a very long list of features - too many to do all of any time soon. So, every release they have to pick and choose. The good news is that Steve has said in the past that he plans to make sure that each area of the game gets some attention from time to time.

It's not hard.

Oh man again - it think it is significantly harder than you think. See @sburke's post...

Every game/module they release offers new units, new battles and new maps/terrain. That's the sum of their appeal. Why not make all three components importable? I dig the maps from MG so I copy/paste them into base CMBN. That lowers my incentive to buy MG by X percent.

Well in order to copy the MG maps *you* would have to own MG - problem solved. I am talking about copy and pasting of map terrain, elevation etc. There is more to a scenario than the map.

More than money it would require all UIs to be the same so that EF Stalingrad and CMSF 2 would both have Holland terrain and bridges. That would also tie up more UI space for every game unnecessarily. You'd then have to have the drop down options for Holland dates etc...it would be a really big mess unfortunately.

The issues you mention highlight that this *not* easy peasy. I, personally, would not want them to add Hollond specific terrain, time frames and bridges (to use your example) into the Eastern front game. I would attack it the other way: you can copy anything you want. When you paste anything that is not supported in the current map editor's settings is dropped. That way copy and paste from one map to another in the same game is straight forward and cross games is "clean".

Many terrain tiles, trees, roads are common between games and even if lots of specific stuff were dropped it would be very useful. Yes, clearly you could create a section of a map that would almost totally be dropped but you could also create a section of a map that would work in pretty much every game too.

Within the East front family of games that would seem to be more an option as the terrain aspects shouldn't vary that much.

If we are talking about the family of families of East Front games, I would beg to differ. That war occurred over a vast expanse of territory including varied terrain types. From forest to steppe to marsh to hills/mountains as well as both residential and industrial urban, the landscape could vary dramatically.

Michael

Well, it seems I should not walk in a dark alley for the cat molester (among others) is on a prowl there for Beta's who like to tease, he he he :).

You know I can't tell you anything or post screenies here, that is Steve's prerogative of course. Sorry about that.

But I can tell you that BFC's return to the Ostfront will be really great. Wonderful new features. You will not be dissappointed I am sure.

This game is constantly evolving and getting better all the time. Some very talented and dedicated people are working on this game, many as volunteers. I have the utmost respect for them.

Will the first module really include the whole last period of the war until May 1945? I am sorry, if this question has been answered before :)

It has been answered before - but I can´t find the answer, so here´s how I understand things (but bear in mind I might remember wrong):

There will be 4 east front families - each of those will then have several modules. Each family will cover approximately one year, from summer to summer. They will be released in this order:

1944-1945 (Bagration)

1943-1944

1942-1943

1941-1942

It has been answered before - but I can´t find the answer, so here´s how I understand things (but bear in mind I might remember wrong):

There will be 4 east front families - each of those will then have several modules. Each family will cover approximately one year, from summer to summer. They will be released in this order:

1944-1945 (Bagration)

1943-1944

1942-1943

1941-1942

I only recall there will be modules covering until the end of the war but it is unlikely the first module alone would do so. Here are some possibilities for modules:

January '45 drive into Poland.

The battles in the south including the invasion and switching sides of Romania.

Battles around Budapest.

The assault on the Finns in '44. Everybody loves Finns.

The final drive into Germany and the battle for Berlin.

I only recall there will be modules covering until the end of the war but it is unlikely the first module alone would do so. Here are some possibilities for modules:

January '45 drive into Poland.

The battles in the south including the invasion and switching sides of Romania.

Battles around Budapest.

The assault on the Finns in '44. Everybody loves Finns.

The final drive into Germany and the battle for Berlin.

I don't know any more than you do, but it strikes me as doubtful that there would be five modules. They could easily telescope several of these into two or three. But of course it is up to BFC what the final count will be, and they haven't spoken yet. They may well not have even decided yet.

Michael