CM:BN Market Garden BETA AAR #2 - ALLIED

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be missing something why would you need to cross the bridge? I thought you were defending your side. I figured you would want an uncrossable bridge for this scenario.

The briefing certainly said to barricade my end of the bridge, no question. I certainly could have. However this battle (to me) is not about winning or losing (though I am sure there will be bragging rights). It is to entertain you guys (and girls) and show of some of the new toys that will be in the module. I felt that you would want Johnsy to be able to move his units across the bridge and get stuck into my forces and not be reduced to long range shelling. Also I am going to getting some American Tank Destroyers later in the battle. If they turn out to be Hellcats I am sure you want want to see them at top speed and a dash across the bridge would be a fine way to show them off.

R

Ps most likely no updates till Monday sorry, though I might be able to sneak one in late Sunday.

The briefing certainly said to barricade my end of the bridge, no question. I certainly could have. However this battle (to me) is not about winning or losing (though I am sure there will be bragging rights). It is to entertain you guys (and girls) and show of some of the new toys that will be in the module. I felt that you would want Johnsy to be able to move his units across the bridge and get stuck into my forces and not be reduced to long range shelling. Also I am going to getting some American Tank Destroyers later in the battle. If they turn out to be Hellcats I am sure you want want to see them at top speed and a dash across the bridge would be a fine way to show them off.

R

Ps most likely no updates till Monday sorry, though I might be able to sneak one in late Sunday.

Thanks for such an educational approach to the AAR; tho the last bit does sound like you might have been reading too much of c3k's AAR ... :D

@Cpl Carrot, question for you. It has been mentioned and I read it again in the Master Maps announcement that there are some improvements included that make urban fighting better. Is it your goal to show off some of these improvements?

Ha ha, actually you want to know what they are now!

The AT gun gets another round off but it flies high. The occupants of the stricken halftrack bail out and hit the deck. The other halftracks find reverse and back off down the approach. The HQ unit dismounts and moves up. I wonder what he could be up to.

9706986050_7fac120481_o.jpg

Back in the town the HMG packs up and heads off behind the buildings. Johnsy can't be happy with its field of fire. The 'stranded' squad moves forward a little to the edge of the building. If they move left (in the image below) they face 2 Brens, a Vickers and 4 Stens (circled).

9706985812_b650fa94c2_o.jpg

Below is an overview of the situation that is building in the city. The stranded squad is bottom left, the unit of mine is the one touting the four Stens. Based on what I am seeing, I am guessing a company at least is attacking this way - no sign of armour though. Troops seem to armed mostly with rifles, so I have a distinct short range advantage over them.

9703749231_65d288f56e_o.jpg

Hopefully you are all enjoying this AAR. Don't forget to give Johnsy your support as well (just not too much). :)

As predicted, that team makes a break for it. Even though my boys were watching them, they got halfway across before my guys let rip. Three men are cut down in short order, however one escapes, being a little more fleet-footed than the rest. At least I got the guy with the MG34/42. I hate those guys ;)

9710762715_3bc6d3702b_o.jpg

9710762801_e05855d05e_o.jpg

Near the end of the turn Johnsy's men trigger the ambush I laid for him. Things are going to get messy. The HMG that bugged out last turn also shows up. But I have a cunning plan to deal with him.

9710762845_45e5343844_o.jpg

The cunning plan

9710762905_3b09091a59_o.jpg

The over-watching PIAT team (P) is given a target briefly order to suppress the HMG while smoke is ordered from another team (arrow) to block it off. This should allow teams A and B to have a chat the enemy in the near building. I should add that the PIAT is great in an urban environment as you can fire them from buildings without having to worry about any backblast.

Now I just hope this works....

Well the plan works. Kinda. The PIAT round lands a little high and the smoke goes a little off target, but all in all success. In the ensuing firefight I cause 8-10 casualties and only suffer one of the my own (with another lightly wounded). It was encouraging to see the Germans break and run when the pressure was on too. So all up so far I have caused 17+ casualties for the loss of one man. But now Johnsy knows where I am and can start to work on some hurt of his own I am sure (bottom image).

For the ammo counters out there the four Stens got through about 250 rounds in the one minute of action. I lose another 200+ rounds from the one casualty as well. But I have a cunning plan.

9714647634_e659eebe3f_o.jpg

9710762961_7077fcb790_o.jpg

9710763009_5b08545d80_o.jpg

I have my men finish apply medical aid to the fallen (ie loot him for 9mm rounds - they are precious to me), before falling back into the building complex. A member from team B returns fire halfway through the maneuver and cops a bullet for his trouble. Rats - it was a Sten touting dude too.

9715939764_03292b9fea_o.jpg

On the other side of the river, Johnsy gets some reinforcments in the form of more halftracks and some HMG teams. One of the halftracks seems to packing a 75mm gun too. It is at this point that my fears that I had stuffed up something in my setup come true. The AT gun that I had placed under the bridge (well thought I had) is spotted and is soon under fire from the new arrivals. They are quickly pinned and I don't hold too much hope for them.

9715940196_05c72bd3c3_o.jpg

9712706781_07a2bd3637_o.jpg

But I have a cunning plan. No wait that was last turn. Bugger.