CM:BN Market Garden BETA AAR #2 - ALLIED

But they are excellent tools for city fighting and I used them often in CM1 games in city/town fighting. Out of towns they ain't so great... Unless mounted on a tank.

-F

Not exactly true. I recall them being great in the woods also, if on defence.

In one of my first HtoH matches I ever played, I had a flame team set as the ambush unit deep in a pocket of woods and had my defence set up to funnel or let the enemy think this was the best path through my defences. Needless to say, he lost two platoons of infantry to that one team and basically stopped that sector from any more enemy activity for the rest of the game. :)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will this be actioned as part of a - free - patch, or as part of a - paid for - upgrade?

Well I don't speak for BFC but from my observations the path they have set is very clear. When they put out a module a patch comes too. If they are just updating the point release it means it is a free patch (MG is said to take us from 2.01 to 2.1). Hence free patch. So you can have 2.1 with no CW and no MG and play with someone with 2.1 and both modules - of course the game those two opponents play can only make use of the original game content and nothing from the CW or MG modules.

As (arguably!) nothing was broken before and therefore not being fixed, but rather a game engine enhancement, this seems more like an upgrade?

Yeah, again not BFC but they make changes that are not strictly speaking bug fixes. If memory serves they tweaked the way flavour objects can be positioned in the 3D editor as part of the 1.11 patch.

Is there any chance that something is hard-coded into the unit characteristics to take advantage of the engine change, and thus units from the MG module, or amendments to old units, are required before it will work?

If what you are asking is if you need an MG unit for a 2.1 patch feature of fix to work then: Nope.

(well there is always a chance but then that would not be intentional - it would be a defect)

but will this be actioned as part of a - free - patch, or as part of a - paid for - upgrade?

In addition to what Ian said, the only upgrades BFC charge for are when they go from one whole version number to another, i.e. from version 1.xx to 2.xx. The Market Garden module will bring the game up to version 2.10 so as long as you already have the 2.0 upgrade you won't have to pay anything. Version 3.0 -- which they will charge for -- will not be released until the next modern warfare CM game, according to BFC's last comments on the subject.

The following takes place from 1:53:00 to 1:52:00

Sorry for the wait guys. Hopefully you haven't given up on this.

Johnsy keeps plugging away at my AT gun crew with his Stummel and HMG's. My sharpshooters return fire, finally hitting someone. My remaining crew survive the barrage and huddle under the bridge. The AT is still abandoned, but I don't think I will be returning to it. Something I will need to think on.

9778985124_8a87a0f71f_o.jpg

Over in the city, Johnsy can be seen moving some troops around, but all in all fairly quiet. The sole survivour from Johnsy's stranded team, sticks his head up and is no longer the sole suvivour.

Now some of you may remember I had a 3-inch mortar targeting the bridge approach. The rounds should have been landing by now so I have a look and seems they are having trouble firing. Seems to be some bug with their interaction with a foxhole, so I order all my teams out of them, just to be safe. This will most likely cancel to fire mission (currently in the spotting stage), but not much I can do about that, though I might be able to re-task another mission that is in the receiving stage.

The following takes place from 1:52:00 to 1:51:00

My sharpshooters continue to take toll on Johnsy's HMG's, picking off another 3 men. A halftrack climbs onto the road and is meet with a round from another 6 lb AT gun. The gunner is hit and it backs off before another round can be sent its way. Johnsy is now definately aware of 3 AT guns and has removed one of those. Hopefully the others are still a surprise.

9778783701_92e5075a36_o.jpg

Back in the city there is another vicious firefight. Johnsy's men are quick to run away when the pressure is on them, but it takes a fair few rounds to make them do so. The Sten lacks the penetration to be truly vicious in an urban environment. I count another 4 Germans down, but lose one of my own.

9778783081_91b1c400bc_o.jpg

Spotting rounds of smoke and HE are starting to fall near my bridge approach. That HQ that I saw near the start is probably calling it in.

Finally, I see something on the bridge approach that I was truly dreading to see. And it starts with a K.

I promised an update so here you go:

Readers would have noticed that we found a few bugs in our battle, and as a result we have been unable to continue that AAR (not being able to cross the bridge is a biggie). However, Good News Everybody! The bugs have been fixed (and lots of others) and Johnsy and myself have restarted the battle using a much more recent build. We have nearly caught up to where we left off, with a few changes to results (consider this an alternative universe). I will be recapping the turns early next week (sooner if you are all good), and then we should be back to our usual programming.

I would direct your attention to the sticky Steve has made regarding the urban combat tweaks. These are the tweaks that I would have been letting slip during the AAR, so don't pester me anymore ;)

Also, if you have any requests re images let me know, and I will try to cater for them.

I promised an update so here you go:

Readers would have noticed that we found a few bugs in our battle, and as a result we have been unable to continue that AAR (not being able to cross the bridge is a biggie). However, Good News Everybody! The bugs have been fixed (and lots of others) and Johnsy and myself have restarted the battle using a much more recent build. We have nearly caught up to where we left off, with a few changes to results (consider this an alternative universe). I will be recapping the turns early next week (sooner if you are all good), and then we should be back to our usual programming.

I would direct your attention to the sticky Steve has made regarding the urban combat tweaks. These are the tweaks that I would have been letting slip during the AAR, so don't pester me anymore ;)

Also, if you have any requests re images let me know, and I will try to cater for them.

Thanks for the update, Cpl!

OK so here we go....

My setup is much the same as the previous game - there is only so many places to put stuff. I correct the placement of the AT gun under the bridge, and a few other tweaks, such as using the jeeps to keep my mortar crews in radio contact, freeing up a HQ unit or two, which has to be a good thing. (right?)

10078658865_2f9a4e2db2_o.jpg

10078658265_3a1f25d057_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...