ALLIED - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR (the better beta beater reader)

For me personally:

1. quicker updates with lo res screens: not SO bothered for this purpose about the pic quality;

2. Comments embedded within the screen: easier to link the text to the action on the screen. (Unless it is more time consuming for you to do that way? In which case beneath is fine.)

And thanks for the AAR; I like your "whys" as well as your "whats" (if that makes sense!).

+1, Especially #2, for same reasons. Easier to link action to comments when together, but go with what is easier for you. As far #1 goes it makes no difference to me, but I can see the point some of the other guys have said in the advertising aspect of having higher rez screens.

Aslo, I prefer using the clock to mark turns as you are doing. It lets the viewer see turns/time in the same way as when playing. I wish Bil would adapt that style too as it is clearer to see how much time left, and puts both threads on the "same sheet of music" in regard to that aspect.

Your presentation has been clear, and fun to read Ken.

1. quicker updates with lo res screens: not SO bothered for this purpose about the pic quality;

2. Comments embedded within the screen: easier to link the text to the action on the screen. (Unless it is more time consuming for you to do that way? In which case beneath is fine.)

And thanks for the AAR; I like your "whys" as well as your "whats" (if that makes sense!).

+1 from me

If you are playing the turns on your low res system the write them up with screen shots from that system. When you play your turns on your better system then write them up with screen shots from the better system. Don't replay turns you have already played just to capture screen shots.

Aslo, I prefer using the clock to mark turns as you are doing. It lets the viewer see turns/time in the same way as when playing. I wish Bil would adapt that style too as it is clearer to see how much time left, and puts both threads on the "same sheet of music" in regard to that aspect.

Very good point. I concur.

Michael

Turn 46:00 to 45:00

I'll start on my right, Town Center, and work by sector to the left. That'll keep the casualties to minimum until the end. Sheesh.

46townstart.jpg

46town02.jpg

46town03.jpg

46town04.jpg

My guys have demo charges. They need to get through bocage. I'd rather make my own passages, to throw off any long shots by Bil (interdiction, doncha know), and to give easier passage, up and back, in the future.

46:00 to 45:00

46middleoverview.jpg

A few seconds later...

46middle02.jpg

I've adjusted the mortar for next turn.

Bil has a habit of creeping a few guys up and then moving in. He's good with armor, sure, but does he have the drive to charge his men over the corpses of those who went before?

46.00 to 45.00

The Left

Keep in mind, the left is a conservation of force area. Sure, maybe it's more of an "erosion" of force at the moment, but that's why they wear the red beret!

It'd be nicer if the timer were a bit closer to 00 rather than having 3/4 of an hour left. It will be a long time...

46left01-1.jpg

The platoon, highlighted

46left02-1.jpg

46left03-1.jpg

46left04-1.jpg

46left05-1.jpg

One last thought...

Up on the dunes, next to the road...

46left06-1.jpg

Well, okay, he really isn't targeting the Panther. He will, however, crest the dune. I don't give him, or his mate, much chance to survive, but then that happens a lot with the men I command. (I think it's their training.) The 2" mortar? Maybe it'll be mistaken for a Piat and everyone will focus on him so the REAL piat can get a shot off. Or, maybe they really do have HE shells. We'll find out. His real job is to get a few shots (with his sten, I hope) at some of Bil's guys in the open.

My orders have my tightening up the left. It's needed. I went fast and loose over there, and now need to fight off his edgers whilst delaying the roaders.

The windmill? Well, I may be trickling too few too slowly into it. If I'd put that 4 man team there, it would've been better. Now I'm a minute behind, and 3 men down. I'm putting some scouts out into that field to nail Bil's two man team. If they stick their heads up to get the bocage by the windmill, they'll get shot. My mortars are still interdicting any reinforcements. Some vickers and brens are hitting the windmill and its outbuilding.

Town Center? Pretty stable. For now.

Bil's plan is obvious. Pathetic, really. He'll push on my left, consolidate, then move onto the town. I'd like to counter, but it's a bit tough against hordes of armored infantry. I've got more bodies. I plan on using them. ;)

Ken

And all these years I have been turning down focus group offers thinking they were something else. I could have had an armored infantry battalions worth by now. Damn!

Exactly! A few 75mm shells into those halftracks would be just the thing to make them lose their focus. See how that works?

I'll provide a full post op on my tank thoughts later. After the AAR. However, based on their construction, I've always been of tge opinion that the Brits didn't really expect them to do much. ;)

Whatever is the best approach I will use it. If it is along the edge so be it (I’m not exactly one who believes I must conform to political correctness in anything ;). In this case it looks like Bil has cover with the hedge running parallel to the edge so it looks like a worthwhile route. What would be nice would be if some mortars could be called on the “edge crew”, or use the AA tank to use the edge against him. He would be pinned in between the edge, and the hedge with limited direction to go. The edge can be used both defensively, and offensively no different than the fence of the octagon in MMA. It is part of the fighting arena.

I am certainly not shy about using edges. In this battle the map is larger than I should defend

Not that I should ever defend! Bil was bound to find a seam somewhere. Hanging half a halftrack over the abyss is the ultimate edge huggery. I shall call it the quartertrack option.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Just wait. Brickbats on the way. :)

I realized within a few minutes that all the intersection objectives were beyond my troops' ability. Hence, the attention on the town.

Plus, the town is an environment better suited to the capabilities of your troops. Especially now that you have thrown away most of your armor, you don't have a whole lot with which to prosecute long range combat.

Michael