ALLIED - CMBN-Market Garden - BETA AAR (the better beta beater reader)

Now, let's see what we have: A British Para unit with some elements on their objective, other elements off the objective. The two are split, with one trying to assist the other. The Germans have a tight armored task force on the attack. Hey, does this sound even CLOSE to Arnhem? That was not the original intent, but this is how it has shaken out.

It is of great interest to me how force structure determines the rythm of a battle. This is what is occurring. The CM system models these interactions so well, that the results are sublimely beautiful. We have paralleled the actual battle, in microcosm, due to forces and objectives. Could there have been any other outcome to the British attack, other than what generally occurred? What other wargame out there could do this so well?

Indeed very ironic and poetic.

Back to the map and forces: it is what it is. At this point my forces are still quite coherent, even if their leader isn't. My offensive power may be spent, but my men's offensive spirit is still present. An active defense will be my best bet. Bil has to move my Para's off the Town. It won't be easy for him.

I have two remaining objectives: Hold on in the Town Center;

An honorable and worthy opponent, you are.

find Bil's top HQ in the game and kill the commander. Yes, Kill Bil. ;)

With a great sense of humor.

Turn 40:00 to 39:00

If I see you, I keel you...

Again, the action swirls around the dunes, like seagulls at the beach. I fortify the Town. Bil is stymied. He is unaware of the attack plans I have. Rather, he is more interested in a lateral move across my front, from my left to right. Let's watch...

39dunes01.jpg

39dunes02.jpg

39dunes03.jpg

39dunes04.jpg

39dunes05.jpg

More...

c3k,

Looks like one of your best turns yet! Your sharpshooter or whatever the correct term happens to be is clearly worth the investment, and I'd love to know who the singleton was by the fence. Marking down the TC on what I presume was a moving Jagdpanzer IV is a fine demonstration of skill by your shooter. You've had rather rotten PIAT luck, but I feel persistence will reap its reward. If your supply of bombs holds out! am frankly surprised he's so able to quickly spot and target a PIAT team in the trees. Not like the firing signature of a bazooka after all.

Regards,

John Kettler

It looks like you are making some good defensive moves Ken. One thought that came to me as I watched all piat rounds miss was the probability percent that used to appear by the cursor in Cmx1. For those shots I wonder if it were to show 25% hit or less. Any of you guys remember that feature from CMx1? What is the effective range for hits, and damage for the piat especially against the panther? I’m just experiencing British weapons now in CMx2 since I got CMFI about a month ago. I never did get CW for CMBN. Not enough time to play it all.

I liked the thought of moving the team in the house to the other side of the building to minimize incoming damage from “Zephyr”. I shall have to remember to try that one.

Piat max effective range is listed as 250m. I like to put anything like that into real life terms. I imagine trying to loft a slow projectile the length of a football field to hit a tank-sized target with the correct aspect angle. At 100m it'd be very hard. At 250m? I think the odds of hitting are very small.

Ken

Thanks for the comment about the guys in the house. I've skipped a LOT of small tactics when discussing the game. Perhaps I shouldn't have.

Here's another one: the last screenie, with the shell in midflight towards my Piat team? Well, I don't want them getting up, kneeling, to fire again. Nor do I want them to run away. At least, not right away. Obviously, they are too exposed to the stummel, so they have to move, but how?

For next turn, I gave them a HIDE. That should instaneously make them hug the dirt. Woot for them. That should help. However, to move away, I gave them a FAST. Well, estimating the reload time of the stummel, I want them to suck dirt until the shell hits, then run away. So, I've given them a 5 or 10 second pause, as well. (I forget which, I think 10.) Minor, but that combination, HIDE, PAUSE, FAST, should help that specific team in that specific circumstance.

Ken

Turn 39:00 to 38:00

Operation Mini-Dunkirk

While Bil is sponging blood and gore off his tanks, I'm busy moving mine out of the Town Center, in accordance with my 147th plan of the game. ( You know who you are!)

Now, these screenies are raw, no commentary. That may be a benefit for some. Here they are...

CMNormandy2013-09-1422-12-09-54.png

CMNormandy2013-09-1422-12-36-85.png

CMNormandy2013-09-1422-13-10-69.png

More...

39.00-38.00

More.

My pix are full, so to allay bandwidth concerns, I'll minimize their number.

My PIAT team:

CMNormandy2013-09-1422-14-21-35.png

Grr. The tube gets destroyed. Luckily, that flank platoon HQ has just a launcher, no ammo. Perhaps they should meet?

Below, Bil unloads..

CMNormandy2013-09-1422-14-56-02.png

I shall gift them with some mortar shells. Airmail. I'll express my sorrow for causing that casualty you see.

In his backfield, centrally located, he coils, still.

CMNormandy2013-09-1422-15-28-97.png

Above: I'm still sniping at zephyr with a mortar. That's not a good sign, if you're wondering. You shouldn't be reduced to using a mortar vs. an armored flak wagon.

More...

39.00-38.00

Town Center Reinforcements

Bil's Panther and his various flak devices try to interdict my movement. The movement is mostly successful. A few slow men get caught out, but the vast majority make it. They are tired, but they should have about 10 minutes before Bil can bring any true combat power to bear against them. Once he spends all his time manuevering into a good position against the Town Center, I'll then poke a hole in his butt with my 3 pieces of armor. That should force him into a time crunch. I'd love to see German troops forced to rush in the open ground against my stens.

CMNormandy2013-09-1422-17-04-12.png

More later.

Overall, not a bad turn. I -think- my 3 tanks will make it. I need to get more HQ's into good spotting positions and start using my mortars more effectively. Of course, I'd like to have unarmored targets for them. That's minor.

My town center defense is almost finalized. More a function of forces rather than desired positions.

Ah, I see Bil has another turn waiting for me. He must be hoping that he won't lose more men the faster he gets the turns to me. My trigger finger is plenty fast...

Ken out.

Minor, but that combination, HIDE, PAUSE, FAST, should help that specific team in that specific circumstance.

I like the idea - did it work? I thought the hide was executed after the last move command. If I am right they would just wait normally during the pause (which could include kneeling and firing even) and then get up and run followed by hitting the dirt.

I like the idea - did it work? I thought the hide was executed after the last move command. If I am right they would just wait normally during the pause (which could include kneeling and firing even) and then get up and run followed by hitting the dirt.

Alas, no. As shown and stated (obliquely) above, the piat tesm lost the one man with the launcher. The intent was to hug the dirt before the mif-flight shell impacted, then exploit the stummel reload delay to run deeper into the woods.

So, Ken's Scottish thrrrrrriftiness has caught up with him. Cheeseparing skinflint that he is, not only has he skimped on providing his soldiers with adequate motorised support, he even has not provided adequate technical support to the war correspondents whose sacred duty it is to report on the glorious successes of the country's sons. Of course, it is quite plausible that given the rather slipshod manner in which those said same young men are being thrown into battle to waste their life blood at the behest of their dorky commander, that that same commander might rather not have the facts of his incompetency revealed in the naked light of day.

Michael

So, Ken's Scottish thrrrrrriftiness has caught up with him. Cheeseparing skinflint that he is, not only has he skimped on providing his soldiers with adequate motorised support, he even has not provided adequate technical support to the war correspondents whose sacred duty it is to report on the glorious successes of the country's sons. Of course, it is quite plausible that given the rather slipshod manner in which those said same young men are being thrown into battle to waste their life blood at the behest of their dorky commander, that that same commander might rather not have the facts of his incompetency revealed in the naked light of day.

Michael

Piper down! We have a piper down!

Sigh. If the sadly eroded numerals on my overused plastic can stand one more swipe of the fundsman's reap, then verily this will be resolved in a nonce. I shall tell the wife it was a tactical necessity. She shall fast upon the morrow to make up the balance. Sacrifices must be made. (I'll subtly suggest to her that her jeans must've shrunk. She will embrace her fast.)

I shall tell the wife it was a tactical necessity. She shall fast upon the morrow to make up the balance. Sacrifices must be made. (I'll subtly suggest to her that her jeans must've shrunk. She will embrace her fast.)

A certain level of ruthlessness is required of any commander.

BTW, I trust your medical coverage is up to date?

Michael

Ruthlessness? Wait until you see the orders for next turn, and the replay of the turn I just witnessed. It's almost as if my men are glad to die for me. Which is all very well, as that fits into my uses for them. Victory above all!

Pix this evening. Horrible, lo res, nasty, but pix, nonetheless.