Brits in Shorts, 9/43

Sure, England isn't the sunniest country in the world. But after years of fighting under a pitiless sun in North Africa and Sicily one would think these men would have developed a manly tan. They've got pink knees! They remind one of pasty Balliol undergraduates preparing their Newdigate submissions under some leafy bower rather than the hard-bitten veterans they were. Modders!

And, heavens, do they chatter on.

Childress,

Never mind that stuff! Did you see that poor sod carrying a PIAT at extended port arms (British super man?), with a rifle on his shoulder, too? You could carry the PIAT on your shoulder,

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/weapons/lightweapons/lightantitank/piat.htm

, but in case you think the way Private Mills carried his was a fluke, here's Frank Jefferson, V.C. carrying his PIAT. Jefferson's PIAT is sporting a Bren sling. Post 26, after the main photo of interest in the below thread, shows Jefferson in front of a StuG III he killed? The reason for the ? is that the citation says Mark IV, whereas he's posed in front of a StuG III and there's combat art depicting him in such a duel. A period sketch shows Panzer IV Ds, and he himself, at the bottom link, says he hit it just below the turret.

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/74912-frank-jefferson-v-c-1944-a.html

Officially, the PIAT was carried slung, as seen here. Would not have believed it, but the PIAT guys have Enfields! The pic is of men from Frank Jefferson's unit.

http://www.lancs-fusiliers.co.uk/feature/jefferson/LFsinFerrara.jpg

More on Frank Jefferson, VC. Has citiation, pics, his own recorded account, combat art and more.

http://www.lancs-fusiliers.co.uk/feature/jefferson/Frankjeffersonvc.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

Brindlewolf,

If you're talking about me, he commented on the pasty knees, but I noticed something else and delved into that. As it happens, Frank Jefferson got his VC in the Gustav Line campaign, so is quite topical. Also, I'm no knee coloration grog. I think what I found was worth sharing, so I did.

Regards,

John Kettler

No I think Brindlewolf just meant it's tiresome for any thread to quickly get a JK super google post within a half a day. Sometimes the stuff JK digs up is good, but I don't know why he can't just type a regular post like the rest of us, instead of those 10 hyperlink monsters...

No I think Brindlewolf just meant it's tiresome for any thread to quickly get a JK super google post within a half a day. Sometimes the stuff JK digs up is good, but I don't know why he can't just type a regular post like the rest of us, instead of those 10 hyperlink monsters...

I agree...it's as if John thinks we can't use google or don't have access to it..he is like an out of control google search engine. I never even bother reading any of his threads\posts anymore let alone follow the endless streams of links. Every few posts fair enough but every single post by John is a stream of links..like some rogue wargame adware virus.

It doesn't bother some but to others it's an annoyance and he has been told this yet continues to do it. Please John reign it in abit. It's 90% of the time not needed and we all can find this info if we wish too. Maybe when you find something unusual or very hard to find then yes go ahead (I enjoyed the rations links for instance) otherwise post your opinion but cut out the endless google search thing you do.

I agree...it's as if John thinks we can't use google or don't have access to it..he is like an out of control google search engine. I never even bother reading any of his threads\posts anymore let alone follow the endless streams of links. Every few posts fair enough but every single post by John is a stream of links..like some rogue wargame adware virus.

It doesn't bother some but to others it's an annoyance and he has been told this yet continues to do it. Please John reign it in abit. It's 90% of the time not needed and we all can find this info if we wish too. Maybe when you find something unusual or very hard to find then yes go ahead (I enjoyed the rations links for instance) otherwise post your opinion but cut out the endless google search thing you do.

No it is more an out of control Siri with not even a voice that you might find pleasing. Imagine Siri with Phyllis Diller's voice... there you go. Your day is now set, you can wander about absolutely horrified at the thought and the incessant uber linked responses will be the least of your concerns. You are welcome.

"It is quite traditional for threads to veer off ... "

I'd say its the hallmark of the site and has been since the beginning.

"...from quite trivial things to more interesting matters."

Well, that's a bit subjective. Sometimes the swerve takes me into more interesting areas and some times it don't. Mr. Kettler's contributions in this regard I don't think are worse than anyone else's, but perhaps more frequent. I however shall not cast a stone because a) a few years ago, when we saw the first screen shots of CMBN, I launched into some flora groggery (lavender, forsooth!), B) it was only by a supreme effort of will that I did not get involved into some nascent cow-grog discussion this afternoon and, finally, part of the charm of this site has always been the twists and turns of its threads and the fantastic breadth of knowledge that its contributors bring - I well remember a fantastic series of posts about the cyrillic alphabet and ids and slogans painted on Soviet tanks in 1941/42.

I echo, Mr Diesel Taylor, If you don't like a chap's posts don't read them, but please no censorship except where the rules of taste and good manners have been contravened.

Bugger, forgot, the point of the thread. Were Brits wearing shorts in Italy? Up in the attic I have the photos from my step-father's war. He was a Sapper, in North Africa shorts are in evidence, but once he got to Sicily and Italy long trousers (KD?) seemed to have been de-rigueur.

sburke,

And when I don't provide detailed citations, guess who gets dinged for not having them? Not one link here! I own no iPhone or iPad (have Android phone and lucky to have it), so had to look up Siri, to which you so scathingly compare me (reviewing vids now). Sounds like you don't like it (not so sure about me). Is there a more pleasing ap you could employ?

Wodin,

When I go into research mode, I really go into it. This is particularly true when it's something I don't already have an established knowledge base regarding.

I think, too, my E-book-related enforced wait is causing at least part of this. I really need to finish up my E-book, have had to forcibly restrain myself from continuing to do very detailed research there, lest it become War and Peace, but am totally at the mercy of circumstances on my business partner's end. He got jammed up following multiple outages (modem and cable) on his end. Which cost him a week. Which meant a week plus to catch up. Then he got slammed with major revisions for the outside projects which keep his unimpressive economy alive, further postponing finishing up and getting out review copies. Sigh.

dieseltaylor,

Appreciate your intellectual support!

Regards,

John Kettler

sburke,

And when I don't provide detailed citations, guess who gets dinged for not having them? Not one link here! I own no iPhone or iPad (have Android phone and lucky to have it), so had to look up Siri, to which you so scathingly compare me (reviewing vids now). Sounds like you don't like it (not so sure about me). Is there a more pleasing ap you could employ?

Scathingly? Really? Get off the victim soapbox, it just gets old.

I tell you what I find boring is the way certain posters take their animosity/grudge/hostility, toward one an another and parachute it into any post. Rather like a virtual, perpetually squabbling couple, as soon as one of them posts you wait for the sarcastic/defensive comments, from the other.

Although mildly amusing, at first, this odd couple routine is one of the main derailer of posts. Don't read each others posts, simple.

sburke,

Considering you're evidently saying that "hearing" me ruins your whole day, I hardly deem that laudatory. Now that I've heard around ten minutes of Siri, and know full well who Phyllis Diller is and what she sounds like, I'd characterize what you said of me as being somewhat rude and insulting. BTW, replying to you in this manner is called being assertive. The opposite of victimhood.

Blackcat,

While I don't recall your aromatic foray into lavender, I do recall cow groggery and what varieties should become bloated post mortem in Normandy. As for the rest, I recollect being confounded, during my high school AFV model building days, by such incomprehensible slogans as what looked like Oop Matb Poccna! With a tiny smattering of Russian, I now know that's For Mother Russia! Somehow, Oop CCCP! simply doesn't have either the ring or the emotional power. OTOH Za Stalina! is very good to have if the NKVD's sniffing about. In closing, may I say Za Rodina! and commend to your attention the Sacred War YT vid with the artillery in the keyframe?

Regards,

John Kettler

sburke,

Considering you're evidently saying that "hearing" me ruins your whole day, I hardly deem that laudatory. Now that I've heard around ten minutes of Siri, and know full well who Phyllis Diller is and what she sounds like, I'd characterize what you said of me as being somewhat rude and insulting. BTW, replying to you in this manner is called being assertive. The opposite of victimhood.

Nope not at all. I was responding to others getting tired of you. I made the comment about Phyllis Diller and Siri and then said the uber posting should no longer bother them...

Yes victimhood - entirely appropriate description of your behavior on this forum.

And when I don't provide detailed citations, guess who gets dinged for not having them?

I myself have gotten fairly used to ignoring the amount of BS you throw at the forum though I have to admit it has taken a lot of effort. I have been pretty good lately at not bothering to comment as it only gives you more feedback and continues the loop. The one exception recently was your totally BS statement about Benghazi and your usual suggestion that you have some secretive sources at mysterious high levels of the gov't that you continue to leak from on a very public forum. Julian Assange you are not.

I seem to have fallen off the wagon about not giving you a platform. must...resist...must....aaarrgghhh

Bugger, forgot, the point of the thread. Were Brits wearing shorts in Italy?

In Sicily; definitely yes, although it wasn't as universal as in North Africa. After that, in mainland Italy, it was pretty rare. They were worn in the push up through Calabria in late '43, but really rare in '44 or after.

Colonel Menniger has a lot to answer for! My post was a simple statement about having to skip posts because they are a continuation of an intellectual skirmish that never dies down. As soon as JK posts you feel duty bound to attack anything he has to say, I've found his posts on a number of topics highly useful, others I mentally redact, without having to continually announce my dislike for them.

Active enough for you?