Gustav is Here!!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh... It is a 2hr and 20 minute DL for me and guess what.. my computer locked up at 2hrs and 19 minutes as I tried to escape an application to see if my download was complete. I wonder if that counts as one of my downloads seeing as it was not complete?

sry to hear that - but jeez - took me all of 9 minutes to download it :)

Sigh... It is a 2hr and 20 minute DL for me and guess what.. my computer locked up at 2hrs and 19 minutes as I tried to escape an application to see if my download was complete. I wonder if that counts as one of my downloads seeing as it was not complete?

I don't believe they count at all - activations are what count.

Really? I always thought that you get a certain amount of DLs...

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

From the support page:

SUPPORT FOR DOWNLOADED PRODUCTS

All of our products are now being offered in Digital Download format. These products use a special licensing and activation system, enforcing our End User License Agreement. With your first purchase a customer account is created for you automatically in our store, using the first 25 letters of your email address as your Username, and a random password (which is emailed to you). In your customer account, you will find all relevant order details immediately after your purchase (no need to wait for emails!), such as download links and license keys, for all your orders placed with that account. Please note that download links remain active for 365 days after the first time you download them, but for only up to 10 downloads.

Right click the Norton icon in your system tray. Click disable anti virus auto protect - download - reenable.

The problem with norton comes with their rating system I have found - part of the auto protect is a rating based on the number of other people who have downloaded it. they seem to work on the presumption that if no one else has downloaded it - then they dont know what it is and the safest thing to do is nuke it with no option for recovery. Which I can undestand up to the point of no recovery, its my PC after all and if I want to recover it then I should be allowed to. Generally the commonwealth module gets delted as well when I install that.

Odd thing is it never affects the main game - just the modules.

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Downloaded Gustav---since it was taking some time I walked away-----came back to PC--nothing showed -- Norton "BLOCKED" it according to info --In a "Quarantine one can get it out --but with "block" there seems to be no option other than turning off the entire Norton system ? I AM NOT TECH Savvy ---- Any simple way to overcome this ---Thanks

Yes, uninstall that bloated pile of junk software and install an AV program that isn't a resource hog.

Norton..never understand why people use it..let alone pay for it..when you have AVG and AVAST doing the same job for free with far less hassle..

Well Wodin - that depends on what your aim is - get something for free or protect your computer.

Despite all the crap thats spouted about norton it consistently rates higher than any of the free tools in independent testing and again despite all the crap independent testing shows that it actually performs better than most of the free tools when it comes down to system speed

http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1%5Breport_no%5D=124552

http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1%5Breport_no%5D=124563

what some people forget is that the norton system has a far more comprehensive suite of protection than most free systems.

For the record - avast is not free. It has a free version but so does malwarebytes and almost every other virus etc protection system out there. The free versions are marketing tools for the paidf for versions - so by definition have less protection that the full versions - and so by definition - do not "do the same" - even as far as the paid for versions of their own product goes - let alone any competitor .

What you seem not to understand is that whilst it may have been inconvenient for the guy who posted the original issue what norton was actually doing was protecting his system - which is after all the point of the software in the first place. The solution - as I posted was simple - and if the file hadnt been the Gustav line module but a file with a virus that was going to destroy his system he would have been lauding what it did - and neither of the free versions would have done so.

Anti virus protection is an inexact science - you cannot specifically protect against a threat before you know what it is - so if norton appears heavy handed sometimes its because thats what its trying to do.

And as far as intercepting unkown threats goes - which is what concerns me - I will go with a paid for version every time - simply because they have more to spend on anticipating threats - which again - if you bother to research - Norton has one of the highest ratings of any suite for a home user.

Your statement is just another of those tech truisms (such as windows is a piece of crap - eventhough it built a multi billion dollar company and runs 80 % of computers in the world) which people like you repeat without actually having any real evidence to support your assertion.

I know this isn't the right place to post this- but that damn post count for opening a new thread...

Anyway, I can't seem to be able to toggle trees, which is rather essential for those Mediterranean maquis- anyone know how to solve it?

Alt-T works for me mate

I know that's how it's suppose to work (and it does for CMBN) but for some reason it ain't happening for CMFI and now Gustav Line. Makes the game a lot more difficult to play...

Also I tried to find some permanent settings to override it but couldn't.

I know that's how it's suppose to work (and it does for CMBN) but for some reason it ain't happening for CMFI and now Gustav Line. Makes the game a lot more difficult to play...

Also I tried to find some permanent settings to override it but couldn't.

For me Alt-T works fine in CMFI and GL.

Alt-T works for me mate

I noticed the same problem Golani is reporting. Alt-T does not change the state of the trees. Fortunately for me, it is stuck in the setting I use most of the time, but not being able to change it is a problem. I am using the Mac version of the game. When I check the Hotkeys settings it shows Alt-T as the relevant key, but in play it does nothing.

Michael

I noticed the same problem Golani is reporting. Alt-T does not change the state of the trees. Fortunately for me, it is stuck in the setting I use most of the time, but not being able to change it is a problem. I am using the Mac version of the game. When I check the Hotkeys settings it shows Alt-T as the relevant key, but in play it does nothing.

Michael

Alt T works fine here also.... maybe its a mac issue ?

Can one of you guys post this in tech support, and then the rest of you hop in there and post your specs and what scenario you're playing? Makes it a heck of a lot easier to keep track of these things. :)