modules and features?

On the topic of scenarios. If everybody who buys the game makes just one and uploads it to Repository we'd be playing new scenarios from now til doomsday. So its up to you! Look at the staggering volume of 3rd party CMSF scenarios available. And really, half the 'fun' of the CM series is that rockin' scenario editor. Not playing in the CM editor is like buying a Playboy only to read the articles. :)

And another thought about content. QB maps. I've lost track of how many QB maps are available for CMFI, in the hundreds I think.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not playing in the CM editor is like buying a Playboy only to read the articles. :)

Can't we just have something that reviews the pictures and then posts the statistics with alerts on my screen so I don't have the tedium of looking at them? :D

Sorry I just could not resist that.

...And another thought about content. QB maps. I've lost track of how many QB maps are available for CMFI, in the hundreds I think.

Not to mention that some scenarios have excellent maps which can be used for marvellous QB's.

Especially if you jigger with them even slightly :

eg. You want a decent ME QB of max size 5000 points.

Take the Huzzar! map. Turn it 90 degrees by redoing the deployment zones and slap three or four VL's aroundthe middle. ( should take no longer than half an hour )

Fight ! :)

Tell me that doesn't generate a great battle on an excellent map.

I've found this trick works well on many maps - even if you've fought on it before, just turning it 90 degrees changes everything.

If everybody who buys the game makes just one and uploads it to Repository we'd be playing new scenarios from now til doomsday.

Wow, finally some clarity on CM sales figures! When exactly is doomsday?

I am in the camp of "I don't have enough time to play all this great stuff!" for sure.

"With CMx2 the bar is raised quite a bit higher and so the skills and motivation levels are also higher. Add to that the increased controls and diverse victory conditions in CMx2 and you get a lot more variety and quality..." I agree.

"If everybody who buys the game makes just one and uploads it to Repository we'd be playing new scenarios from now til doomsday. So its up to you! Look at the staggering volume of 3rd party CMSF scenarios available.

Seeing the effort required to get a good scenario and time limits many folks may not make the effort. You are correct re: ".. half the 'fun' of the CM series is that rockin' scenario editor."

I never purchased the CMPB - CM Playboy subscription. Is that a module, a pack, a separate game or a hidden forum thread ;)

Look at the staggering volume of 3rd party CMSF scenarios available.

This is why one desirable item in the CMSF-2 wish list is a way to upconvert 3rd party CMSF scenarios to CMSF-2... if possible.

"I just totaled up the amount of campaigns and scenarios for Fortress Italy and Gustav Line...If you were to play all of the campaigns and scenarios (from one side only) in real time without ever pausing to issue orders or survey the situation or read the briefings or anything at all, it'd take you over 40 hours to get through all of the content. Not including Quick Battles and the new Quick Battle maps and formations etc. That's non-stop running through it as fast as humanly possible. Playing normally, you'd actually multiply that 40 by some number (depending on how cautious you are)."

Real time without ever pausing to issue orders... etc. is some serious CM fun!

So I guess I need to schedule a week off :)

The GL release date is when again ;)

How about a Gustav Line "Bestiary" file included with launch?

Like a "Dealership" file to se all the enchanted by extraordinary units / vehicles in our Toy Box. Might help average folks decide what they want to play with tonight :)

I'll probably have one ready a couple of days after release. I am looking for a new tester!

Take the Huzzar! map. Turn it 90 degrees by redoing the deployment zones and slap three or four VL's aroundthe middle. ( should take no longer than half an hour )

Fight ! :)

Great minds must think alike because I did that exact thing to the Huzzar! map a couple of weeks ago, except I used 5 VLs. I just haven't played a game on it yet. I'm also planning an attack/defend version of the same map.

Great minds must think alike because I did that exact thing to the Huzzar! map a couple of weeks ago, except I used 5 VLs. I just haven't played a game on it yet. I'm also planning an attack/defend version of the same map.

Reusing existing maps is similar to games like Panzer Leader. You got a few boards with the game and could switch them around and get lots of different combos out of them. People are still playing those games 30+ years later. Except in this case CM players have huge numbers of unique maps to choose from and can then customize them as desired.

As ND pointed out, we already included more hours of content than most games do. And of course it only goes up from there. I don't think I've ever heard a CM customer, CMx1 or CMx2 alike, say that they ran out of things to play.

Steve

Not to mention that some scenarios have excellent maps which can be used for marvellous QB's.

Especially if you jigger with them even slightly

Yep. You can also crop maps down in dozens of different ways. I recently played a river-crossing custom-QB on a small extract of the "Be Evil Unto Him" map. Worked great.

Reusing existing maps is a good thing.

A utility to upconvert 3rd party CMXX scenarios / or maps to CMx2... if possible is an even better thing.

Maybe some how to use the Editor videos on map / scenario design would be useful?

Might help develop a few more CMx2 boards that could be switched around for even more different combos.Beginners level. Daily Variety player level and a Historically Accurate level how to videos.

No question CM2 offers more hours of content than most games do so I am not complaining just suggesting.

Reusing existing maps is a good thing.

Maybe some how to use the Editor videos on map / scenario design would be useful?

Might help develop a few more CMx2 boards that could be switched around for even more different combos.Beginners level. Daily Variety player level and a Historically Accurate level how to videos.

Shameless Youtube Channel Plug...

Trying to get a video diary going as I try to recreate the Carpiquet area of Normandy. I'm no brilliant mapmaker and never done any work for BF, so if any of the mapping guru's steps up and does their own series I'll gladly step aside. Except to my knowledge no one has yet. This project more than anything has given the an excuse to micro research an operation in detail, something I haven't done since I finished my history degree. :D

Also any tips on recreating aircraft hangers with the tools available would be much appreciated. :P Add industrial and airfield themed terrain objects to my very long wishlist. :D