City map WIP

I´ve often wondered why there were no large city maps in CMBN, so recently I begun making one. Now I know why. ;)

This map is fictional, though many of the elements are inspired by how my own town looked in the forties. So it probably looks more dutch than french - and so might be most suited for the Market Garden module.

As you can see I am using Tanks-a-Lot´s fantastic building mods. They really make a difference when making something like this.

Feel free to comment and/or make suggestions (though I won´t promise to follow them)

I´ll upload when it is finished - probably in about a month or so.

Mojn

PS: the units in the pics are just to add some flavour and scale

streetwfact.jpg

railways.jpg

railviaductstreet.jpg

railstreet.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work umlaut. I agree, we do need some more really nice urban maps. The amount of work is pretty intensive as flavor objects are hard to manipulate in the confined space. I have some of my own I am working on that may be out around the same time as yours.

Now you just need to bash up that town a bit. It is too pristine. :D

Having done an urban map myself (Palma di Montechiaro for CMFI), your biggest headache will be eliminating movement and fire opportunities between adjacent buildings where you do not intend them to be connected. Align the buildings so that you can place high walls between them wherever possible, though even this doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. Removing all the doors and windows from adjoining walls of modular buildings helps, but it also is not foolproof. No matter what I did, there were still ways to fire and move through solid walls in some places. You'll want to playtest a lot to figure out where this is happening, and then try to eliminate it as much as possible; just don't expect to resolve every instance.

Having done an urban map myself (Palma di Montechiaro for CMFI), your biggest headache will be eliminating movement and fire opportunities between adjacent buildings where you do not intend them to be connected. Align the buildings so that you can place high walls between them wherever possible, though even this doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. Removing all the doors and windows from adjoining walls of modular buildings helps, but it also is not foolproof. No matter what I did, there were still ways to fire and move through solid walls in some places. You'll want to playtest a lot to figure out where this is happening, and then try to eliminate it as much as possible; just don't expect to resolve every instance.

Thanks for the advice, Bimmer. Luckily - for me - this isn´t going to be a scenario, just a map. I am not going to upload a scenario with this map. I think it isn´t worth the effort, considering the lack of feedback in the community.

The map will probably be too large for most people´s tastes/needs (app 1x1 km), but the idea is that you then select the part you want in the editor and make your own scenario or quick battle.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, Bimmer. Luckily - for me - this isn´t going to be a scenario, just a map. I am not going to upload a scenario with this map. I think it isn´t worth the effort, considering the lack of feedback in the community.

The map will probably be too large for most people´s tastes/needs (app 1x1 km), but the idea is that you then select the part you want in the editor and make your own scenario or quick battle.

Cheers

Even if it's only a map (frankly, building the map - especially an urban one - is so much of the time involved that I'd throw together a scenario just for kicks, but I digress) you'll need to run some playtesting to see where and how your adjacent buildings are permeable. If you don't you'll get endless complaints from users about "I just saw units run/fire through a solid wall at X". Set up some sort of test scenario, or run a QB, or something.

Of course I will make a scenario for this map. Probably several. But I will not release them in the repository because I don´t want to go through the hassle that comes with releasing a scenario: Writing briefings, conducting tests etc. I do not think it is worth the effort.

And even though I see and appreciate your points I will certainly not test access points, movement paths or fire lanes. With a map this size that would mean a release date around 2019 or so :)

A map without a scenario/AI plans is like being with a hot woman but not being able to touch her.

Nobody is preventing you from making your own scenario with AI plans for the map. Actually, that is exactly what the map is made for.

But given the almost complete lack of response I´ve recieved from my earlier scenarios I really can´t be bothered to go through all that the extra work that is needed for making a scenario.

I will upload the map when it is finished, because I would make the map anyway, so there is no extra work. But making a scenario would mean - at least - doubling that work.

This is the best urban map I've seen to date - very atmospheric and "bustling with life" in comparison to other maps.

Thanks a lot - I try to give a lot of attention to the details :)

Very nice job!

Makes me wonder if we get some new goodies with OMG?

Flavor objects, new buildings, terrain types?

Yes, that would be great. If I remember correctly, Steve (or Martin or..?) has said that Market Garden will include new bridge types. I presume that is because some of the bridges in the MG battles were much larger than the ones presently in the game.

Excellent map!

The industrial building looks great but if we just had one new type of roof it would be perfect -- something like those angled factory roofs with rows of skylights -- or even just flat. The rural chimneys just look weird. When I don't want a roof like that, I make the building one extra story tall and then rubble that story so it's roofless.

The cemetery picture is not only beautiful, but moving. It reminds me of real photos I've seen of troops attending prebattle prayer services in the field.