City map WIP

Thanks for kind words.

I have certainly also been dreaming of those factory buildings - hopefully we´ll get them for the east front game. I have been considering rubble-flattening the roofs too, but I don´t really like the effect. So I´ve chosen to stay with the default roofs. :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you rubble a roof, you destroy the structural integrity. Any incoming indirect fire will immediately penetrate and start hurting folks.

I had to compromise for my warehouses...

ware1.jpg

Great map umlaut! I know how long an urban setting can take, even without flavour objects.

wow! I love this pictures.

There is only one thing I would change: Maybe you could add more foliage in the built up areas. I do not know if there were occasional trees and shrubs in the 1940s in the Netherlands but streets would look more lively with foliage - IMO.

As it was in Austria only in the last 40 or so years they started to cut down trees and alleys to make room for broader streets and parking space.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving forward - albeit slowly.

Most of the town´s houses and roads are now in place, now for the time consuming - and sometimes tedious - work of finishing the places in between: The gardens, backyards, woods and such.

But these places are in my opinion perhaps the most important, because they contain all the little details that makes a map come to life.

To be continued...

spwx.jpg

schl.jpg

Moving forward - albeit slowly.

Most of the town´s houses and roads are now in place, now for the time consuming - and sometimes tedious - work of finishing the places in between: The gardens, backyards, woods and such.

But these places are in my opinion perhaps the most important, because they contain all the little details that makes a map come to life.

To be continued...

spwx.jpg

schl.jpg

awesome - the cemetery shot is outstanding - never thought of doing a cemetery like that

can you pan out a bit and show the map with a birds eye view?

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, did you have to do a lot of work on your map to get this. From memory I recognized it right away. Do you have a link to the original?

Looking on my HD now...

A couple of hours, I guess. Just thought it would be fun to see if I could recreate this alley in the map. A bit hard, though, as there are no flavor objects that resemble currogated iron roofs or the pipes/cables on the buildings. When I release the map we can then have a wee game of "find the alley" ;)

Haven´t got a link on the web, but on my PC the location is: documents and settings/battlefront/data/Normandy v100B.brz (explode this one) /user interface/force-specific backgrounds. And then it is "force-specific background blue 6"

I am making a scenario for the first time. Setting is a Norman village. I took QB-267 as a start and took it form there. It is A LOT of work to bring a village to life. Most of the times the urban environments look much to clinical. I now know why. The editor could be more user friendly: the constant switching to 3d preview mode takes a lot of time, especially for tinkering with the flavor objects. It would be great if there was a palet in 3d mode where you can click on something and see it on the map instantly. Or something like that.

the constant switching to 3d preview mode takes a lot of time, especially for tinkering with the flavor objects. It would be great if there was a palet in 3d mode where you can click on something and see it on the map instantly. Or something like that.

I fully agree. That would be very, very useful, indeed. I´m guessing that BFC are already working on these kinds of improvements - it would also help them in their own designing of scenarios.

But anyway: I´m still extremely happy with the editor - as I remember how making maps in CM1 was. This editor is a huge improvement. (there´s of course room for even more improvement: More realisticly looking damaged buildings/ruins are on the top of my personal list)