We want more Gustav Line screenshots and videos!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the shell holes, yes it does. Looking forward to some winter battles at long last. And a future Russian Front offering that will let us fight Stalingrad, the 1943 Winter Offensive (including 3rd Kharkov) and the 1943-4 struggle for the Dnieper Line.

Not tomention the winter struggle on Germany's Western borders of course.

But i suspect his may be some way off yet.

Speaking of tags and seasonal appearance options...

I know there will be bare trees in CMFI because we'll have the option of fall or winter maps.

But i was wondering whether a tree will be selectable as green, autumnal, bare, etc., individually. Or, is the apperance of all foliage totally controlled by the season of that map?

I ask because the ideal would be a default setting that's the season of the map, but with the option to set a specific foliage tile in the editor to any season. That would allow us to plant bare trees in shell-blasted areas on maps of any season.

But a leafless tree and a shell blasted tree don't really look the same. I don't know how many tree types there are. or if one can select tree types in the editor, but if some one did a dead tree mod, you would have the look your going for.

Oh I feel for you but I want to see more:D

Are you going to survive all the extra work this will entail for each vehicle:

"clean"

[muddy]

[whitewash]

[whitewash][muddy]

[olive]

[olive][muddy]

that is 7 x the work for every vehicle

I love the thought of what you can do but honestly will you survive?

Umm, way way too much work for a single modder,...

New screenshots look great! Thanks Normal Dude.

One question...How is water handled on the winter maps? Is it iced over and possible for infantry to pass over?

Err, no ice. This is southern Italy, not northern Europe!

Speaking of tags and seasonal appearance options...

I know there will be bare trees in CMFI because we'll have the option of fall or winter maps.

But i was wondering whether a tree will be selectable as green, autumnal, bare, etc., individually. Or, is the apperance of all foliage totally controlled by the season of that map?

I ask because the ideal would be a default setting that's the season of the map, but with the option to set a specific foliage tile in the editor to any season. That would allow us to plant bare trees in shell-blasted areas on maps of any season.

No, you cannot select what season of foliage is on the map. The foliage will change automatically based on the date.

From one of the standalone scenarios. (Edit: I just noticed that the background doesn't match, even though we do have a snow background. I'm off to investigate what went wrong there... :eek: )

Normal Dude thank you for screenshot. Are trees also covered with snow or this is it?

Normal Dude thank you for screenshot. Are trees also covered with snow or this is it?

It's been a while, but as I recall we weren't happy with how the snowy trees looked using the current foliage system, so we went with bare trees. Snow and snow combat aren't the focus of this module considering the region and climate, so we weren't keen on getting side-tracked with spending inordinate amounts of time on relatively small details.

It's been a while, but as I recall we weren't happy with how the snowy trees looked using the current foliage system, so we went with bare trees. Snow and snow combat aren't the focus of this module considering the region and climate, so we weren't keen on getting side-tracked with spending inordinate amounts of time on relatively small details.

So east front will have new foliage system?

So east front will have new foliage system?

I have no idea one way or the other, and didn't imply that there would be a new foliage system for Eastern Front. I insinuate/suggest/imply absolutely nothing about plans for future releases. :) Anything and everything I say has ONLY to do with Gustav Line.

From one of the standalone scenarios. (Edit: I just noticed that the background doesn't match, even though we do have a snow background. I'm off to investigate what went wrong there... :eek: )

snowpn.jpg

My thinking exactly Michael ... I will now be creating homemade Christmas cards this year for all my friends. Nothing else says peace on earth good will toward men like a CMx2 winter wonderland screen shot...

Ah yes, the T8. Always loved it in CMBO. One question, if it has a crew of two and the non-driver operates the M2 BMG, who operates the .30 cal hull MG?

Michael

Turns out I have it wrong way around. The vehicle gunner operates the .30cal, one of the passengers operates the .50cal.

Turns out I have it wrong way around. The vehicle gunner operates the .30cal, one of the suicidal numpties in the back operates the .50cal.

There, fixed it for ya ;)

No gun shield, that BMG gunner is going to have to be fairly sure he'll see and enage any infantry before they see and engage him... But that does look like a splendid way to deliver a very useful team to where they can do some mischief.

Normal Dude,

Wunderbar! Mmm. 2cm Flak! I much prefer the camouflaged Allied vehicles to the boring OD. Tommies are looking good. Is there any way to kill the shine on some of the German FJ uniforms in particular? Looks almost as though their clothes have blister wrap over them. Marco Bergman rocks! But then, we knew that already, didn't we? Whoever thought of tags is a genius and deserves a raise and maybe a promotion. Fabulous idea!

Regards,

John Kettler

Much as the amazing work by our volunteer modders is greatly appreciated, it would be wonderful to have a game looking so good out of the box that we don't need nearly so many additional mods. Downloading, and mixing and matching 3rd party mods is an enormously time-consuming game in itself - esp when v2.x then makes some older mods obsolete(!).

:rolleyes:

Nobody makes you spend endless amounts of time downloading and installing mods. That, and the game does look good out of the box.