Winter Mods automatic selection?

Sequoia

Oh, we've done better than that ;)

With the v2.0 standard we introduced a "tag" system for textures. These are the things you see inside of [ ] brackets at the end of a texture name. Tags are now being used for all kinds of things:

1. Uniform variations

2. Terrain season variations

3. Vehicle variations

4. Vehicle season variations

Currently we support three types of terrain and three types of vehicle texture sets based on seasons:

"Normal" (think summer)

Snowy (think whitewash)

Muddy (think Fall/Spring)

If tagged textures exist they will be used, otherwise the system goes with the Normal set. This means you don't have to manually swap textures in and out for specific battles to see specific combinations. Instead they will be automatically be used or ignored depending on what the conditions are for the battle being played.

The above is separate from wholesale changes in textures based on things like paint or marking differences. For example, in Gustav Line there are different sets of textures for the British who changed both their markings and basic paint color.

Yup, lots of variety and possibilities for Modders!

Steve

To add to what Steve said, we've also got date-specific tags for vehicles so that they'll change their camo patterns and markings automatically based on date, without players having to swap files.

Right now we have:

[mainland]. This tag takes effect in September, so that vehicle patterns will change from Sicily to Italy.

[olive]. This tag takes effect in April 44 (IIRC), so that US/British tanks change to the new OD standard.

Here's an example:

A Sherman bought in the editor in July 1943:

sherman1.jpg

The exact same Sherman, all I did was change the date to September 1943:

sherman2c.jpg

Cool huh? :D

And of course this system will be adapted going forward to future titles.

It does beg the question...why does Bulge need to be a new game and not a Normandy module (similar to CMFI and Bagration)? ;)

Aside from the revenue stream? I'm guessing BF is going to do more with structures, notably refining degrees of destruction. Also 'Fire'.

A bit o/t: What are the environmental effects on vehicles and infantry under Snow/Cold conditions? Will Deep snow be visually distinguishable from Light snow?

It does beg the question...why does Bulge need to be a new game and not a Normandy module (similar to CMFI and Bagration)? ;)

I'd imagine that there are a number of "more casual" gamers out there that want everything to do with the Battle of the Bulge but nothing to do with Normandy. Trying to sell these people on Normandy and then another "upgrade" sale to get Bulge just would not fly. Makes far more sense to let the people that just want the Bulge to just have the Bulge.

ARIS!!! Where are you?

To add to what Steve said, we've also got date-specific tags for vehicles so that they'll change their camo patterns and markings automatically based on date, without players having to swap files.

Right now we have:

[mainland]. This tag takes effect in September, so that vehicle patterns will change from Sicily to Italy.

[olive]. This tag takes effect in April 44 (IIRC), so that US/British tanks change to the new OD standard.

Here's an example:

A Sherman bought in the editor in July 1943:

sherman1.jpg

The exact same Sherman, all I did was change the date to September 1943:

sherman2c.jpg

Cool huh? :D

And of course this system will be adapted going forward to future titles.

No you don't want to see me dance. By the end of it you'd probably be gibbering in a corner.

Hey ND, my "shimmy" is not "Cape Routine" worthy either. Your BFC Artistic Abilities make up for any possible lack of JB like gyrations. :)

What you do.... I feel a pirouette coming on ... makes .... "I Feel Good! Like I Knew I Would!" :D

I'd imagine that there are a number of "more casual" gamers out there that want everything to do with the Battle of the Bulge but nothing to do with Normandy. Trying to sell these people on Normandy and then another "upgrade" sale to get Bulge just would not fly. Makes far more sense to let the people that just want the Bulge to just have the Bulge.

I'm not sure if casual gamers would enjoy a CMx2 game no matter where it's set. You'd get the odd convert but also alot of moaning I expect.