My First Shot at the Editor...

Rake

I’ve finally taken a stab at the Editor and begun a map of the St.-Barthélemy. Unfortunately, I noticed too late that Rokko had already made a map of this ville for a campaign (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=100414). It seems like every time I start thinking about making a realistic-based map, someone has beaten me to the punch. In any event, the map I’ve started is rather large and I’m too far along to stop now… although it’s probably only 5-10% complete.

The map is roughly centered on St.-Barthélemy. It extends from La Tournerie in the east to just south of La Tête à la Femme. I may, depending on just how long this takes extend it another click to the west toward Juvigny-le-Tertre. It could also stand to grow at least another half Km to the north to cover the area north of Bois du Parc and the activities around 3rd Platoon of B Co. I could also extend it to the south to try and match the north side of the map that JSB was making around L’Abbaye Blanche… although his last post on the subject was over a year ago and he mentioned a crash that cost him a bit of his work.

Here’s a part of what I’m working on:

First the topo…

StBarthelemy_topo_zps7b5fd94f.jpg

And a top down of the central portion of the map (and the only part that has any detail other than the topo). St.-Barthélemy lies at the top left; most of the buildings a just place holders for the time being. In the center is Langotière and Sablonnière is along the southern edge:

St-BartsTopDown_zpsaf7fc0e9.jpg

The southern entrance to Sablonnière…

CMNormandy2013-01-0515-08-36-63_zps65284a41.jpg

… GE from today…

LaSabloniere_GE_zpse8cb8bd2.jpg

There isn't a lot of photography on Google Earth except right along the main roads... and literally nothing that I can find from Panoramio. So, a lot of the interior is going to be guesswork and my own decisions as to what this place may have looked like in 1945. I do have the aerial photo from 1946, but all that helps with is the placement of buildings, bocage, etc.

And, finally, a shot of Sablonnière from the road from St.-Barthélemy (looking SE)…

LaSablonnierefromNW_zps77aa202f.jpg

Still lots of detail work left to do just on this small farm. If anyone’s interested, I’ll follow with some additional closeups after I take the GF to dinner and a movie...dammit! (I'd put a grin here, but that would exceed the 5 pic limit)

Don't worry Rake. I myself am now pretty unhappy with my own St.Barthelemy map and my motivation to continue is slim.

I would suggest not to rely on modern sources too much. The map you've posted is defeninately a modern one. There is a website on the 30th US infantry division where you can find a map from 1943.

And here you can find aerial photographs from 1947.

http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/accueil

Don't worry Rake. I myself am now pretty unhappy with my own St.Barthelemy map and my motivation to continue is slim.

I would suggest not to rely on modern sources too much.

Don't worry, I'm not ;). I do have the '47 aerial photos and am trying to rely on those as much as possible for positioning bocage, buildings, etc. A lot has changed in 68 years... but somehow, much still remains the same.

Looks great! A bit more hilly than I would have imagined; always makes for nice surprise encounters. The patience it must take to complete such a grand design eludes me; however Im sure Ill download it and steal some sections for my own battles...hehehe

If you think this is hilly, you should have seen the map when I first got started... I had my scale off by a factor of three. Imagine these elevation differences compressed into one square kilometer :eek:

Note to self: Don't try to set the scale from the Geoportail scale bar :rolleyes:

Okay, after dinner and a movie last night and an afternoon of Netflix movies, the SO has departed and I have a few more pics...

Looking NW toward St.-Barthélemy; it's starting to flush out in the center of the map. Lots of trees, but the relief and use of low bocage means there are some long, keyholed LOS's:

NWtowardSTBarth_zpseaac680d.jpg

Langotière:

LangotieretowardSE_zpse0558d38.jpg

Lastly, for today, looking south along D5 from just south of St.-Barthélemy. This is roughly the position of Guns 1 & 2 of 3d Platoon, Co. B, 843d TD Battalion. The LOS from this point is roughly 1100 meters. Of course, on the morning of battle it was only 20-30. A lot of tricking out to do in this area still:

D5LookingSouth_zps7e5e39e7.jpg

• 1 month later...

A few new shots:

St.-Barthélemy still needs some fleshing out, but the buildings are now more than just placeholders

St-Barthelemy_zps23e30cf8.jpg

Some long lines-of-sight from the top of the hill... some will get cut back as trees and bocage fill in, but there will still be some long, keyholed positions

StBarttoNW_zpse812dac6.jpg

Much of this area was farmland with a few isolated farm settlements. Most of the bocage on this map is of the low variety with some higher hedgerows placed where Google Earth (and the '47 aerial photos) seem to indicate. There will be plenty of gaps, large and small...

SouthtoNorth_zps80005463.jpg

D33 looking back up the hill toward St.-Barthélemy... this section of the road sits in a 1-2 meter cut section; the topo of the roadway is not finished...

D33toSouthtowardStBart_zps546b2ede.jpg

Same spot from higher up...

D33toSouthtowardStBartElevated_zpse6960a2e.jpg

Awesome.

One can really see why this was key terrain in the battle.

Yeah... you can look at a topo map all day, see the ridge lines and draws, but until you see it in 3D, you (or I) don't realize how dominating the view is from the top of the hill.

Yeah... you can look at a topo map all day, see the ridge lines and draws, but until you see it in 3D, you (or I) don't realize how dominating the view is from the top of the hill.

Heh. I had a very similar experience when putting together the "Be Evil Unto Him" map. That 2km x 2km chunk of the ground just east of Vire is an area of intensive farming and rolling ridges, although written accounts talk of it being a heavily wooded region. I thought that was odd, because the aerial photos and topographical maps make it clear that, actually, there is hardly any woodland in the area. There are lots of trees, but very little woodland - and not even many orchards.

Then suddenly, when the map was nearly complete, the written accounts suddenly made sense. From ground level, viewing obliquely across the valley, all you see is a mass of hedges and tops of trees. The whole valley appears to be heavily wooded, which is naturally the way soldiers fighting there in 1944 would remember it.