Tires turning on the Z-axis

agusto

If you take a look at the armored car that is left to the one i have selected and then take a closer look at its tires, you will note that they are in an absolutely weird position that was probably not intended to be that way. Those are not shadows and the AB41 has its steering wheel on the front (you are seeing the vehicle from behind). The tires (all 4) actually even turn around the Z axis during movement. Has anyone else ever observed such strange behaviour?

tirebug.jpg

If you take a look at the armored car that is left to the one i have selected and then take a closer look at its tires, you will note that they are in an absolutely weird position that was probably not intended to be that way. Those are not shadows and the AB41 has its steering wheel on the front (you are seeing the vehicle from behind). The tires (all 4) actually even turn around the Z axis during movement. Has anyone else ever observed such strange behaviour?

agusto, I'll pm you with my email, can you send me a copy of the game file save if you have one?

agusto and sburke,

Having the rear wheels pivot as shown is entirely correct and is not a bug, unless maybe they pivot too far. If you go to 1:15 in this vid on the AB & Sahariana, you can see the rear wheels do indeed pivot. I can't seen enough detail to say much more, unless the concern is the distance from vertical of the left rear wheel?

Regards,

John Kettler

four wheel steering system that proved troublesome!!! Art imitating history : )

The AB 41 (named after its first year of production, 1941) was based on the machine gun armed Autoblinda 40. Made with an all-riveted construction, the AB 41 had four-wheel drive and a four wheel steering system that proved troublesome.[2] The spare wheels fitted to its sides were free to rotate, thus helping the vehicle over rough terrain and allowing it to drive over higher obstacles. It could also be fitted with wheels that would allow it to run on railway tracks and some were modified further to better serve in this role, with the addition of sand boxes and rail guards to deflect objects from the rails.[3] This version was designated AB 41 Ferroviaria.

It had six forward gears and four reverse gears, with a driving position at the front and one in the rear, so two crew members were drivers. Overall the AB 40/41 family was well thought out, with a top speed of over 70 km/h (45 mph), good armor (15 mm on the front plates) and good road and cross-country performance, but there were some examples of poor detail design like difficult access to the powerplant, an unprotected fuel tank, one man turret, exposed traverse gear and lack of an interior bulkhead separating the engine and crew compartments. Nevertheless, the AB 41 was considered a good vehicle and one of the best armored cars of its era.[4] Its chassis was later used as a basis for the SPA-Viberti AS.42. About 550 vehicles were built in all. The Italians planned to upgrade the AB 41 with a 47 mm anti-tank gun as the AB 43, but those plans were disrupted by the armistice with the Allies in September 1943.

Wikipedia

Sorry for the offtopic, but the Ab41 driver seems to be quite incompetent and nervous, what is the reason you think? It took some seconds to realize why ;)

Do you mean because the commander is called Berlusconi? That would be enough to make anyone nervous. I'm surprised there aren't a couple of dolly birds draped over the back....maybe they're inside! Lol

tirebug.jpg

Yes, I observed exactly the same behavior agusto.

What I found though was the wheels would only spin around the z-axis at a certain zoom level

and if I zoomed in they would resume back to correctly spinning around the x-axis.

PM sent waiting for game file.

I dont have a savegame for that specific situation i took the screenshot from, but i will try to reproduce the bug (and probably suceed, that problem occurs often) and then save from a point of view from wich you should be able to see it. However reloading the game usually returns the tires to turning around the correct axis, so i think this might be a problem that only occurs on certain systems. Maybe it depends on the videodrivers or something like that.

What I found though was the wheels would only spin around the z-axis at a certain zoom level

and if I zoomed in they would resume back to correctly spinning around the x-axis.

Exactly. And if you zoom out again, the tires start spinning around the Z axis.

Edit:

Do you mean because the commander is called Berlusconi?

Note the -2 Leadershipmodifier.

Stupid question: where are the CMFI savegames located? I cant find them at Game Files/Saved Games (where i would expect them as they are located there in Normandy) because there is no Game Files file.

Starting with CMFI the Game Files and User Data folders have been moved to a My Documents folder, to comply with new Windows practices. Look for it there.

Starting with CMFI the Game Files and User Data folders have been moved to a My Documents folder, to comply with new Windows practices. Look for it there.

Thank you very much.

sburke,

i sent you the savegame.

here is another screenshot of the tires where it is more obvious than in the first one i posted:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8377/tiresbug2.jpg

agusto,

Now that I can see in some detail, two things are obvious: The wheels are way beyond the fender well underneath which they're supposed to pivot; even were the first not true, they're grotesquely past any mechanical limits for pivoting wheels.

Steve,

I'm glad you're looking into this. One messed up AFV!

Regards,

John Kettler