CMFI patch v1.01 is here

akd

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use McAfee SiteAdvisor, and as soon as Gamershell loaded, I got a McAfee screen saying "WHOA! Are you sure you want to go there?"

I've learned the hard way not to spend much time on sites they recommend against... I went somewhere else to get my d'load.

I got the same message. I had already tried Atomicgamer, but McAffee told me the file was infected with a trojan or spyware and abandoned the download.

So at Gamershell I decided to take a chance and download anyway.

But I do think it is a problem that I have to disregard warnings from my anti virus programme to get a patch.

I got the same message. I had already tried Atomicgamer, but McAffee told me the file was infected with a trojan or spyware and abandoned the download.

So at Gamershell I decided to take a chance and download anyway.

But I do think it is a problem that I have to disregard warnings from my anti virus programme to get a patch.

umlaut, yes, there is a problem, but it's with the anti-virus program. You can change the settings and behavior of your anti-virus program. You can crank it up and not allow any access to the internet if you want. Or flag any file that is encrypted as potential malware (as is the case here)/ Or you can crank it down and not let it do anything automatically without prompting you first.

It IS a problem that anti virus software these days seems to be poorly documented and come with default settings that quarantine files on suspicion. Especially if these files otherwise are entirely harmless, identity signed, and have no access to any admin stuff on your PC (like our games). But no matter how often we bring this up with the various anti-virus vendors, inevitably the next update is rolling back any improvements, it seems.

So your options are:

- whitelist the program in your AV. You'll have to consult your AV program documentation on how to do it. In order to make sure it's not infected, make sure that when you install it, Battlefront.com, Inc. is listed as the creator of the software.

- contact your AV vendor and tell them that their software identified a false positive. They can then adjust their filters (well, until the next update I guess).

- buy a Mac ;)

Martin

Phil, it's still not working right. I just tested it with the MG42 HMG, MG34 HMG, and the German 81mm mortar. In all cases the weapon instantly deployed when the team reached the waypoint marker with the Deploy command enabled.

I just played a little, and my .30 cal machineguns took some time before they were deployed. No insta deploy there.

I just played a little, and my .30 cal machineguns took some time before they were deployed. No insta deploy there.

The first thing I did when installing patch was test a HMG team of Americans, HMG was the water cooled variety and a 81mm mortar team. They both instantly deployed when arriving at end spot. Absolutely no deploy times utilized.

You sure? Visually, yes, it shows 'deployed' immediately. And I've only seen the 'deploying' message once but, in the example of 60m mortar ammo, it takes 10-30 seconds after deployment before it begins to deplete.

Yes, I'm sure. The instant the turn begins, the troops go from lying down to kneeling up, the weapon info panel says deployed. (Regular) Mortars take at least 15s to start firing at a newly assigned target, even if they're already deployed; longer if they have to turn to face. At no point was any crewman listed as "Deploying".

There's considerable variation. 80m mortars show similar delays though, according to the unit display, they're supposed to take twice as long as the 60s. AT guns now exhibit listed deploy and pack-up delays. MGs, less. The picture's confusing.

It's only confusing if you think there's a deploy phase that uses the stated times. All mortars take the same length of time to dial in the azimuth and elevation for the assigned target. All MGs can point and shoot faster than that. Simple really.

Edit:

Went back and did some more comprehensive testing. Got my plain field divided up with high stone walls, plonked one each of every crew-served weapon from the Wehrmacht and US Infantry, plus a Brixia mortar, down in opposite corners out of sight of one another. So far have tested only with static elements, and the deploy times are certainly not being respected for any of the systems; artillery pieces with minutes-long setup times are firing within 15 seconds of the turn after the order phase in which they've been given orders to go from "Limbered" to area firing, if the target isn't very far off-axis. My earlier assertion that none of the crew are displayed as "Deploying" was incorrect. Some of the crew, including, I think, the leader in all cases are "Deploying", though the same entities also display Spotting and Turning behaviours too. The Gunner, however starts straight into "Aiming" and "Firing" without all that tedious mucking about with "Deploying". I have a save game replay of the turn after all the Axis un/semi-deployed assets were given a) "Deploy" orders and B) Target orders on an unsuspecting piece of innocent ground close to the direction the element was facing (the US elements were busy doing their hair that turn).

umlaut, yes, there is a problem, but it's with the anti-virus program.

Thanks for the reply, Martin. Yes, I suspected the problem might be with McAfee - the program has certainly become more and more obnoxious lately. That is why I chose the words "a problem", not "BFC´s problem".

Unfortunately, it is very hard for those of us that aren´t that knowledgeable about what is going on under the hood of a PC to tell whether the blame lies with the website blocked by the anti virus programme or with the program itself. And many of us "dummies" will probably choose to trust the anti virus program - just to be safe.

Fortunately, this is the first time I´ve had McAfee conflict with CM - the problems seem minor compared to what I read about Norton on this site.

I see. What was the point of the patch if it neglected to address the marquee issue?

It addressed a whole lot of other stuff, including the (AFAIC more important) problem with mortars not having to range in when firing direct. Sounds like Phil thought he'd fixed this one, too, but (at a semi-educated guess) it fell out of the code due to a versioning SNAFU.

This thread seems the appropriate place to mention my gratitude for the seemingly small fix to the "modifiable hotkeys" so that modifying "Clear Target" works. :)

Small fixes nevertheless make people happy, but thanks are often forgotten, so, thanks BFC programming team !

It's kind of a running joke that McAfee itself is the virus by not letting you actually accomplish anything.

I have Trend Micro (required to connect my Mac to the university computer system) and it hasn't behaved as the descriptions here of McAfee. No problems downloading from GamersHell and using Chrome with Adblocker I'm not annoyed.

Dave (highly satisfied customer).

Dave -

read your posts welcome aboard. And I appreciate your, and every other US military veterans service to our country. Thank you. If you'd like to really see where Combat Mission shines start a PBEM against a human opponent. The AI is all well and good but its nothing compared to playing a human. And its soo much more gratifying to kill a human opponents troops and armor. Be warned though, its a pandora's box type deal - once you play PBEM the AI is hard to go back to.

If you want a PBEM email me at jeffreypclark86@yahoo.com

...If you'd like to really see where Combat Mission shines start a PBEM against a human opponent. The AI is all well and good but its nothing compared to playing a human. And its soo much more gratifying to kill a human opponents troops and armor. Be warned though, its a pandora's box type deal - once you play PBEM the AI is hard to go back to.

I couldn't agree more.

I always try and encourage people to take the plunge and give PBEM a try. I find that many people are worried that they aren't practiced enough, and should play the AI more before playing a human.

It's just such a HUGE leap when the enemy is an actual thinking human, who will try all sorts of crazy tactics, and respond and adjust to what you are doing.

I just can't get into playing the AI. The games don't mean as much, and it isn't as satisfying to destroy a tank or take a crucial position against the AI. Against a human though - killing a certain unit or pulling off a good move is soooooo satisfying.

PBEM is where the game REALLY shines, and is where you really learn to use tactics. You can only learn so much playing against the AI, which is dumb and has no clue about strategy and will never actually respond to what you are doing.

It is a huge leap. People shouldnt worry though, I think they'd be surprised how well they.d do, just with some caution. However, like exercising or anything else that takes practice, you wont improve nearly as much or as fast unless you push yourself. Which in CM means taking the plunge and playing against human opponents, preferably ones who are good so you can learn something.

That being said, some people like to truly win a battle in a sitting or play more than a turn at a time. I dont really do IP play you have to find someone to do it with and the time...