A few questions about the direction of CMx2.

First, will there ever be a "unified" title so we can swap between early 44 to late 44, France to Italy, without having to swap titles over? Or maybe all theaters, all periods?

Second, when is the East Front game coming?

Third, is there ever going to be an official operational layer added? The only thing I miss from Close Combat (the first in the series, the rest I didn't like as much) was the narrative created by having the same group of troops who'd slowly shift over the course of the campaign. It made me feel like I was a real company commander who couldn't spend it all on one battle, but had to hold back because tomorrow or the day after I'd be right back at it.

Apocal,

Quite some time ago, Steve clearly stated there would NEVER AGAIN be monster titles encompassing the whole war in a given combat theater. Thus, nothing like CMBO, CMBB or CMAK would ever be released again, for it was/is economic suicide to do so. CMBO was released in 2000, yet there are still people playing it avidly to this day! Most computer wargames have useful lives measured in weeks or occasionally months. This is NOT the case for BFC. Instead, the business model chosen was a core game, for which modules (CW, for example) would be produced, along with inexpensive upgrades and patches (free now and forever). Each game would cover a major section of the war in a particular theater, and the war would unfold in successive games and modules.

I shall leave your other concerns to others here, who no doubt will be able to clear up the remaining issues.

Regards,

John Kettler

I don't know how hard it would be but I think it would be great to be able to swap maps between the various games that BF is producing or a map conversion tool to go between the various games. There is a map tool for CMBO, CmBB and CMAK that allows this but dont know if something like that would work for the CM2 games. The present games are being updated and changed on a regular basis so that might preclude a viable map tool?

I don't know how hard it would be but I think it would be great to be able to swap maps between the various games that BF is producing or a map conversion tool to go between the various games. There is a map tool for CMBO, CmBB and CMAK that allows this but dont know if something like that would work for the CM2 games. The present games are being updated and changed on a regular basis so that might preclude a viable map tool?

I gave it a shot with CMFI to CMBN, but right now the date parameters are such that I don't think there is any way to transfer the scenario.

Apocal,

You're welcome. I can certainly understand your desire for an uber game, but all other things being equal, I'd rather see BFC stay in business.

Regards,

John Kettler

I'm sure they've thought of this before, but why not release the compilation at then end of a particular theater's lifecycle? Like once we get the rest of the Normandy expansions, the rest of the Italy expansions, Bulge game and all it's expansions out, why not wrap it all up in Collector's Edition or w/e?

I'm sure they've thought of this before, but why not release the compilation at then end of a particular theater's lifecycle? Like once we get the rest of the Normandy expansions, the rest of the Italy expansions, Bulge game and all it's expansions out, why not wrap it all up in Collector's Edition or w/e?

They very well may considering that is likely several years away, but that wouldn't get you anything in terms of not swapping titles (perhaps that wasn't where you were headed with this, sorry if that is the case).

I don't see the advantage of cobbling together a mega-title. CMBN would still have bocage, Bulge would still have snow and CMFI would still have heavy rocks, and never the twain shall meet. There's no utility in it.

I can't even imagine in the distant future them offering a 'bundle pack', that would be one massive product encompassing 4 titles, perhaps a dozen+ modules taking up perhaps 30+ gigs? Even if they do produce a 'collector edition' when will it be out, 2025?

After the Bulge and Bagration to Berlin games are out something that would be very cool would be the ability to pit the late war Soviets against late war US and UK in a Patton Goes East (or Zhukov Goes West)-type game. The units would already be done, we would just need a module to get them in the same game.

After the Bulge and Bagration to Berlin games are out something that would be very cool would be the ability to pit the late war Soviets against late war US and UK in a Patton Goes East (or Zhukov Goes West)-type game. The units would already be done, we would just need a module to get them in the same game.

Personally I'd still rather see early-war Germans vs early-war Brits and French :)

Nitouche and Baneman +1. That would be great, but I don't think it is possible. I believe that most of CM players aren't interested in this theatre of war or are more interested in e.g. US vs. Japan war on Pacific. IMO this can be economical suicide for BF. Personally I could pay double price for this two campaigns:D.

IMO this can be economical suicide for BF.

I don't know that it would be a bad move for them. The Fortress Italy title was very popular. And the early war campaigns would be very interesting for a lot of wargamers. Maybe interesting enough for it to be done in spite of the fact that there would be no American units in it. The Russian Front doesn't have any US units either and it's popular enough.

Patton goes East would be a blast. Of course the US would have to adopt the shreck or 3.5 in bazooka.

I gave it a shot with CMFI to CMBN, but right now the date parameters are such that I don't think there is any way to transfer the scenario.

I certainly hope that you are successful, if not with the scenario which is date sensitive but at least with the map which shouldn't be since fortifications are not part of the map and that would be all that should change. Even time of year should not matter as long a snow or whatever could be added in the game that the map is used in. Mods should also be universal to the game family as long as it is the same engine and the same piece of equipment. It also could be a tool that BF makes and sells to accomplish this, I would certainly be willing to buy it. One more way for BF to make a buck. I would be all for it.

Patton goes East would be a blast. Of course the US would have to adopt the shreck or 3.5 in bazooka.

Intersting this came up their is a intersting incident that few ppl know about that occured before the Soviets reached Berlin. Guderian & Henrincini were in secret talks to force the the Westren Allies over the Elbe to move on Berlin. All this was done behind Hitlers back. Obviously nothing came of it but it makes an interesting what if.

Also of note is that Soviet fronts in their race to take the chancerly spurred on by Stalin, first actively fought each other in the streets of Berlin, to stop each other from getting that flag up first. Another scenerio maybe?. Anyway if intersted sugest looking at:

Hamilton Stephan. Bloody Streets: The Soviet Assault on Berlin 1945.

Regards, John Waters