Move To Contact order

I haven't played CMx1 in many moons, but doesn't the current hunt command accomplish the very same task?

What I would love to see is the old hunt command, where a unit resumes moving once the threat is gone. I can see it being quite hard to specify what exactly qualifies as a threat being over, though, with the new and more complex spotting.

I'd like to see a separate "intent" setting to go with a movement speed... but that'd be way to difficult to implement in an interface, especially in RT.

What I'm thinking of is a way to let your pTruppen know that even though you want them to go quickly, it's okay to do a smart about face and head back to the previous cover if coming unexpectedly under fire. And not because they've Paniced.

Move To Contact was good for getting from one place to another where there was a small but definite possibility of coming under fire, and you would want them to stop.

Hunt is no good for this - it's only use is if you know someone is just nearby and you are trying to find them without stumbling on them and getting shot.

I read something somewhere recently where someone said "Quick is your friend". I have found this to be true....

GaJ

Move To Contact was good for getting from one place to another where there was a small but definite possibility of coming under fire, and you would want them to stop.

Hunt is no good for this - it's only use is if you know someone is just nearby and you are trying to find them without stumbling on them and getting shot.

I read something somewhere recently where someone said "Quick is your friend". I have found this to be true....

GaJ

Quick is indeed you friend, and MtC would, for the reason you have stated, be even friendlier :)

I saw that (usually) as a bonus as then you knew something had spooked em to make them stop and you could replay that part to see what might be out there. With MOVE they'd normalyl keep going and you might never have noticed they're walking into a trap.

This was especially useful in large scenarios.

The trouble with HUNT is that the troops tire quickly.

I'd love to have a "Continuous Hunt" command added that would be similar to the old CMx1 Hunt. Meaning, units hunt until a threat is observed, then continue hunting if they lose vis on it. -Would be even better to have an additional "Continuous Hunt: Armor Only" option.

This would greatly streamline the player's ability to coordinate flanking attacks by armor. Say for example, you've got a few TDs trying to sneak up on a tiger. As things stand, the Hunt command might have two of your tanks stopping when they see infantry only to have one TD (or none!) actually engage the tiger.

This forces the player intent on having all tanks engage together to use Move/Quick/Fast--which means there will likely be excess movement time where the enemy tank will have unwanted firing opportunities.

So, as things stand, Hunt is tedious/unreliable and the regular movement commands give unwanted opportunities to the enemy.

The trouble with HUNT is that the troops tire quickly.

Exactly. There may be a justification for such an order with such consequences (troops creeping along while maintaining the highest vigilance) but there also needs to be a Move to Contact order where they are engaging in normal movement but will stop if someone takes a potshot at them or they spot enemy personnel or vehicles. In fact, is there any reason why the latter behavior cannot or should not be incorporated into the existing Move order?

Michael

I agree that the default move SOP could be move to contact IMHO. As it stands I very rarely use move. If I really need to get some where I use quick or fast. Would be great to have a move to contact option (especially for scouts as an example) as hunt is overly tiring

I agree, Move is mostly a waste of interface space on the infantry command menu. Quick gets you there sooner, and you recover from Tired to Rested before troops that are Moveing get there at all. On the flat, at least; Italy's stark relief may change how the fatigue aspect affects things. But the general "lacsidaisical" manner of Move just gets troops killed; their situational awareness is out of the window. I don't feel it has any place in the battle space, or at least its use is so rare that a movement mode of the same speed that tires the troops slowly (but less than Quick, so its long term average is slightly better) but allows them to retain some defensive awareness would be a better use of the command slot.

One of my wishes for CMx2 that didn't come to pass was the decoupling of movement from contact behavior. Ideally we could select a movement speed from one menu, a reaction to contact SOP from another, mixing and matching as we pleased. I'm sure BFC had good reasons for sticking with the more rigid system we've had since CMBO, but I don't know what they are.

"I don't feel it has any place in the battle space..."

Totally agree. So many arguments are made that this, that or some other feature is not represented cos the game represents "troops imminently about to be in battle". So, "MOVE" really should be replaced by "MOVE TO CONTACT".

"I don't feel it has any place in the battle space..."

Totally agree. So many arguments are made that this, that or some other feature is not represented cos the game represents "troops imminently about to be in battle". So, "MOVE" really should be replaced by "MOVE TO CONTACT".

+1..........